DeadGoblins.com » Forgotten Realms » Loudwater

Loudwater

Moderators: Jonathan Berg, Michael Doss.

Page: « < ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Feeling satisfied with her theft, Berna returns to the party singing a little tune. "Rattle my bones, over the stones, only lass, nobody owns."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
If we've got the time to roleplay, Allena will order two beers, sit near the sullen elf, and ask what troubles him.
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Allena kindly offers the elf another drink, asking him what is wrong. He looks up at her, then back to the drink, and finally responds, "Money problems. There is just never enough. You seem nice and I don't want to get you into trouble, so you might want to leave it at that."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Oboro decides to avoid socializing. Feeling slightly offended and completely out of place, she admires the plants while walking through the gardens, only nodding to people as she passes them. She does keep an ear out for anything that may have to do with Zark and find a way to pay him a visit.
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"I see. I don't mean to pry, but sometimes talking about problems lightens their burden. I'm willing to listen if you want, otherwise I'll leave you alone."
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
The elf looks back to Allena and apparently decides she is trustworthy. He leans in closer, smelling of drink. "It's Zark. He is holding my little nephew captive... somewhere. I never even got to see poor little Jaulathus. He was on his way to Loudwater for a visit when Zark's men captured him. Zark wants 10,000 gold for Jaulathas' safe return. Somehow, he thinks I have that much money, but I don't. I have gone to everyone I know, tried moneylenders, but I just can't seem to find enough. I would go to the city guard, but Zark says he will kill Jaulathas if the authorities get involved."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Geron finds a corner bench, with the branches of an overhanging tree casting him in shadow. Whenever someone looks at him he nods politely, but no trace of a smile ever crosses his lips. It doesn't take long for him to reminisce about his past and his purpose for being here. He still doesn't know why Ered wanted him to come to this particular backwater, but concedes that preventing the Ogre King's resurrection was a worthy task.

Feeling a tingling on his arms and hands, he looks down at the back of his hands and sees the veins and arteries glowing slightly red. As usual, his anger comes to the fore as the elements barely contained within struggle to be released. With effort, he calms down the raw energy running in his bloodline.

He grimaces more than smiles at the two-edged axe within his blood. While the elements threaten to overcome him, they also bestow upon him improved prowess and abilities. He felt a surge of potential shortly after defeating the shaman and knew that more of his innate powers would surface eventually. It seems to be happening sooner rather than later.

OOC: I'm still deliberating on what powers to take for Geron and was hoping for some more feedback. Nathan, would you mind taking a look at what I'm considering for Geron's level 2 choices in the levelling up thread? I'm curious to know if the other defender PC might have some good ideas.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Oboro overhears the Elf speaking of Zark and the missing nephew, She decides to approach the pair and replies, "Ought we not confront Zark? He is the same scoundrel that had me smuggle dreamseed against my knowledge. Now we find he is a kidnapper! We cannot let these injustices pass."
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"I agree Oboro. It's clear he's a menace and true villain to these people. Perhaps we should see what our small friend can find out? I get the feeling she's comfortable speaking with ruffians."

Streetwise aid another for Berna (1d20+5+1=18)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
The elf looks from Oboro to Allena, then back to his mug. It is clear that while he is hopeful that you would be able to assist in his dilemma, he is dubious as to its realism.

Edit: Allena summons Berna, hoping she would know where to find this Zark and how to interact with him.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Berna eagerly agrees to Allena's request "Butter my bum and call me a biscuit! Sure I'll dig around for Zark. Ever since I heard about him I've been dying to meet him. Well, there's no time like the present." She waves goodbye to the others as she leaves the garden party. Then she wonders to herself, "Maybe I can sell him this ivory statue?"

Berna uses her underworld expertise to find out all she can about Zark.
Streetwise (1d20+1+2+10=27)
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
As Berna wanders the city streets listening for bits and pieces of information, she marvels at how similar the bandits and thugs are in each town she has been to. Zark and his gang seem to be involved in extortion from shop owners and market venders, bribery of town officials, trading in contraband substances and illegal goods, and more. She quickly gets the sense from the way the townspeople go about their lives that they are afraid to venture to an area of run-down tenaments in the north-western corner of the city (#17 on the map in the maps thread). She would guess that is where Zark has his headquarters.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Berna shares what she's learned with the others. "If we want to find Zark, he's in the bad part of town, in the northwest." She remembers such rackets often cover themselves by bribing town authorities "You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that ass-candle Harrowleaf is in Zark's pocket."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Getting up from his bench, Geron joins the others. "I think we've pranced around this party quite enough."

OOC: What time of day is it again? Sounds like we're heading to Zark's.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
The afternoon sun sinks lower into the sky as you ponder your options.

OOC: Call it 4pm.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: I am going out of town Thursday through Sunday for my sister's wedding, so FR will take a little break, and we will go with the Zark storyline when I get back.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Geron crosses his arms and waits for the others to make a move towards leaving the party.

OOC: New stat block below. I've included a sub-dropdown at the bottom with the full text of Conductive Defense and Dimension Slide.

User posted image

  • Geron Kalddar
    • Dwarf Resilient Battlemind, Level 2
    • Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 15
    • AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 11 Will: 17 Speed: 5, Initiative: 1
    • HP: 39, Bloodied: 19, Surge Value: 9, Surges: 13/13
    • Cast-Iron Stomach: +5 save vs poison
    • Stand Your Ground: -1 space forced movement / imm save vs prone att
    • Dwarven Resilience: second wind as minor action
    • Forgeborn Resistances: Acid: 2, Cold: 2, Fire: 2, Lightning: 2
    • Other Resistances: Necrotic: 5, Radiant: 0, Poison: 0, Thunder: 0, Force: 0
    • Powers
    • Battlemind's Demand (minor: burst 3, mark an enemy)
    • Blurred Step (free once/turn: shift one if marked adj enemy shifts)
    • Mind Spike (imm react: adj marked enemy damages ally without attacking me, reflect damage)
    • Conductive Defense
    • Iron Fist
    • Augment Points: 1 2
    • Battle Resilience (resist 7 until end of next turn when first hit or missed)
    • Dimension Slide (slide self or ally 1, teleport self or ally 3)
    • Elemental Legacy (+3 elemental damage when hitting)
    • Second Wind
    • Aspect of Elevated Harmony
    • Items
    • Scalemail
    • Greataxe
    • Skull Mask (+1 item bonus to intimidate, resist 5 necrotic, enemies who can see you take -2 penalty to saves vs fear)
    • New Psionic Powers
      • Conductive Defense
      • Your attack surrounds a foe with a shroud of crackling lightning, threatening retribution for strikes against your allies.
      • At-Will, Augmentable, Lightning, Psionic, Weapon
      • Standard Action, Melee 1
      • Target: One creature
      • Attack: Constitution vs. Reflex
      • Hit: 1W+Con modifier lightning damage. Until the start of your next turn, the target takes lightning damage equal to you Con modifier whenever it hits one of your allies.
      • Augment 1: As above, and, until the start of your next turn, the target also takes the lightning damage whenever it shifts to a square adjacent to one of your allies.
      • Augment 2: 2W+Con modifier lightning damage. Until the start of your next turn, the target takes lightning damage equal to you Con modifier whenever it hits one of your allies.
      • Dimension Slide
      • You bend the space around you to better position yourself and an ally on the battlefield.
      • Encounter, Psionic, Teleportation
      • Move Action, Ranged 5
      • Target: You and one ally
      • Effect: You slide one target 1 square and teleport the other target 3 squares.
      • _______________
        Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Oboro nods in agreement with Geron. As much as she begrudges him for being a violent and pretentious jerk, she appreciates having a strong ally. She tries to remember to judge favorably and accept others.

OOC: Oboro is ready to leave the party and find Zark.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
You bid farewell to the elf, who tells you he will be moving to a more comfortable drinking location in the Green Tankard, then you leave the party, following Berna's instructions to the northwest corner of Loudwater.

The area you find yourselves in is very run-down, but appears to be occupied. Laundry hangs from clotheslines strung between buildings and smoke can be seen from a few chimneys, but no faces greet you. However, you get the strong sensation you are being watched.

User posted image

A building directly under the city walls is Berna's destination, and after about 10 minutes of searching, she uncovers an entrance into what appears to be a basement. Walking down the stairs, you come to an open door. You peer through to see a mercenary soldier with chainmail, a longsword and a crossbow standing and talking to a more common thug with leather armor and a large club. They see you at the same time and the mercenary shouts in alarm. "Halt! Who are you?"

User posted image

Iniyiative Order

-->Geron - 39/39 (13/13, 1 AP)
Allena - 40/40 (12/12, 1 AP)
Ered - 35/35 (11/11, 1 AP)
Oboro - 27/27 (7/7, 1 AP)
Red Mercenary - no damage
Marcus - 37/37 (11/11, 1 AP)
Berna - 29/29 (7/7, 1 AP)
Yellow Thug - no damage
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Member
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 115
Location: california
"yeah, let's pay him a visit" says Marcus, his breath starting to smell of alcohol. "and by pay him a visit, I mean 'stab him repeatedly', because if Harrowleaf is taking orders from this Zark guy, then it's his fault we had to go and kill those goblins, instead of people we wanted to kill."

OOC: I took shrug it off, and weapon focus, or maybe expertise. I forget which one i got at first level and which I got now. I'll have my statblock ready soon

OOC:whoah. while I was writing that, the story continued. this comment was intended to go after Ari's
« Last edit by SamH on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:05 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Geron looks left at Allena, relying on her eyes since she is standing in front of the doorway, while he tries to peer around the edge. "What do you see?"

1d20+10+1=24 Perception roll

OOC: Geron will delay until after Allena. Perception roll to look into the next area. If Geron can't see from where he's standing, then he'll just listen and smell.
Jon, I assume we can only move from our area to the next via N4 to N5, right?
Nathan, if Allena marks the yellow thug, then Geron can charge past and try to provoke an OA from yellow after you divine something it. We can also do the opposite of course with Geron marking yellow.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Mostly telling the truth, Berna volunteers "We want to see Zark. Maybe we got some nice merchandise he'd be interested in. Look what I swiped from Lady Moonfire's place." The theif shows them the statue she stole. Bluff (1d20+10+1=21)

OOC: Maybe we can talk our way in?
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Geron sees just a normal hallway. There is the remnant of some food on the floor by the thug, as though he has been on guard here for quite a while.

The thug straightens and looks toward the halfling. "What do you think, Davey? That DOES look like something Zark would like. Maybe Zark would want to see them."

The mercenary looks less convinced. "We could always kill them and just take the pretty statue. Then WE could sell it to Zark. Use your head, Marc."

OOC: Bluff success.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Allena takes a moment to assess the situation before speaking.
insight check (1d20+10+1=14)
Deciding that diplomacy wasn't going to be useful, Allena dug a bit deeper and connected with the part of her normally reserved for people drunk on watch.

"Look here boy. I'm not in the mood the haggle with a doorman. Davey, if you could count, you'd know that I'd be selling your head back to Zark if you continue to waste my time. Simply put, we have business with Zark, and we're going to see him. If it makes you feel like you're doing your job, go run and tell him we've got goods to show him, and that we might be interested in hunting down the writings of a certain warlock he's interested in."

intimidate check (1d20+10+1=18 )

EDII: Perception roll for ma Dwarf ally ;) perception roll (1d20+3+1=18)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
« Last edit by nmathew on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:08 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Oboro knows the way to see Zark, and decides to step forward and compel the guards to let them through. Before addressing the guards, she whispers to the group, "I have an idea." She takes a few steps forward and announces herself to the guards in an intimidating and authoritative manner. "I am Oboro of Suzail, sent by Ogen, high-priestess to the Temple of Ilmater, to deliver a chest to Zark of Loudwater. I am here to negotiate the conclusion of its delivery; I expect there will be no trouble."

Oboro decides she must take the initiative to pass this test and prove her innocence. Oboro figures that Zark has men close to Harrowleaf or even Harrowleaf himself and that he is likely to know about loosing the package. Nevertheless, she knows she must confront him and bring him to justice one way or another.

Intimidate +9 +1 (24hrs): (1d20+10=21)

Page: « < ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Forgotten Realms » Loudwater

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software