DeadGoblins.com » Forgotten Realms » Loudwater

Loudwater

Moderators: Jonathan Berg, Michael Doss.

Page: « < ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Expectedly, Geron scowls at the sight of all this revelry and pontificating. He ignores Harrowleafs parting glance and doesn't react in the slightest during Lady Moonfire's flowery greeting. Hearing Allena apologizing for their appearance and "ignorance" at not knowing that Harrowleaf planned to set them up to look bad in front of the city's elite, Geron holds back a sarcastic retort.

Yes, this is clearly some sort of social setup or at the very least an attempt at further discrediting them. Well, not this time, he thinks to himself

1d20+4+1=20 Intuition

He takes the time to look around very, very carefully and notices that not everyone is as drunk as they appear to be or as caught up in the festivities. Some appear nervous, while others are trying a little too hard not to pay attention to their conversation with Lady Moonfire. His senses also tell him how many guards there are, how they are armed, and what the best exit strategies might be. Just in case. After all, half-elves have the worst of both humans and elves in them.

1d20+9+1=29 Perception

Turning to Lady Moonfire, Geron takes off his skull mask and looks at the woman directly. "I am Geron Kalddar. Allena speaks truly regarding the high shaman. It was a potential threat to dwarvenkind that I could not allow to grow. Even if Captain Harrowleaf hadn't blackmailed us with false accusations after we defended this town in South Square. His dishonorable conduct shames your city, but we nevertheless did what was right."

OOC: I went ahead and rolled two skill rolls, one for this round and one for the next.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Member
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 115
Location: california
At first, Marcus stands in one spot, looking more than a little disappointed that the captain hadn't done anything that would justify trying to stab him. After a few seconds, however, he walks away from Lady Moonfire, figuring that if he is stuck in a stabbing-free party, he might as well try and find someone interesting to talk to, maybe a guard, or a person who looks like they may know of a good fight to be had in the area.

Perception 1d20+4+1=19

Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Doing her best to stiffly a sigh and roll of her eyes, Allena does her best to split the difference between between what Geron said and what she assumes was Harrowleaf 's version of the story. What was that dwarf's problem? Was he raised by wolves? Was he looking to throw out insults so he could "rightfully" hack his way though some self-righteous minor local authority and half of Loudwater? "Lady Moonfire, as you said, we do not lok like criminals. I'm afraid that Captain Harrowleaf's zealous defense of the city caused lead him to make an unwarranted leap in the aftermath of the goblin raid. It was an unfortunate situation. And I would remind my comrade that it was Lady Moonfire who gave us the choice of waiting ot be vindicated at trial or immediatly confronting the goblin tribe and the Ogre King's shaman."

OOC: No roll, just roleplaying. Allena feels competent, if not comfortable here, and will be trying to control the conversation. Feel free to ignore her attempts ;)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Ered stays silent for the moment, but watches Lady Moonfire carefully to determine her reaction to his comrades speech. Especially Geron's.

Insight (24H) (1d20+9+1=20)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Berna looks around the house, trying to mentally make a list of easily swiped items to come back for at a later time... or maybe even on her way out. She notices a particular ivory statue on one of the mantles that catches her eye. Not only does it look valuable, it also looks very foreign, not the typical Loudwater decor. Commenting to Moonfire on the state of Lady Timmerkind's relationship, Moonfire draws in a breath. "Really? My dear, you are more up to date on the relationships of my nobility than I am. We simply MUST get together more often!" (Bluff success.)

Turning to Allena, Moonfire exclaims, "Not at all. If I didn't even know you were going to be at the party, how could you have known? That would be silly. This old thing?" She fingers a diamond and black pearl necklace that must be worth more money that you have seen in your lifetime. "I only bring it out for small gatherings. For big parties, I wear the nice stuff." (Diplomacy success.)

As Oboro shakes her finger at Lord Grandwall, he flusters and spills the glass of wine he was holding. Murmuring under his breath about "stupid religious twits," he excuses himself and wanders off to the other side of the garden. (Intimidate fail - and this closes off intimidate for anyone else to use.)

Grumpy, Geron does what he does best, doubt the sincerity of everyone around him. Moonfire regards him warmly. "Blackmail? Haha. That is just impossible for Captain Harrowleaf. After all, he wears WHITE mail?" She bursts out laughing, as do those guest within earshot. Looking up at her, Geron believes he can detect just the slightest hint of a deeper intelligence, and even anger in her eyes. (Insight success.) Looking around at the guests, Geron realizes that all are looking at the party out of the corner of their eyes. He silently relays that to his companions. (Perception success gives +2 to the next check of any sort, but does not count as a skill success.)

Marcus leaves the group to explore on his own. He soon notices that while this seems to be a harmless group, there are probably more guards than guests, though they try to remain out of sight. (Perception success gives +2 to the next check of any sort, but does not count as a skill success.)

Moonfire gazes back at Allena. "I try to ignore Harrowleaf and his fears. Like I said, you don't LOOK like criminals, except for the dwarf, but most dwarves look grumpy. Well, not this one." She looks to Ered. "He looks more like my Uncle Morrie, just a bit shorter, and a little smaller around the middle. Uncle Morrie always did like pastries a little too much. And beer. Beer flavored pastries were his favorite. But anyway, don't worry. I am a great judge of character, and if I say you aren't criminals, you aren't criminals. Unless of course you are criminals. There was this one time that my butler stole a silver candlestick from the manor, and I never thought he would do it, but that is neither here nor there, though we never got that candlestick back. It was always my favorite."

Ered remains quiet. He, like Geron, suspects that Lady Moonfire is a good deal more intelligent than she lets on. He sees her eyes narrow just slightly at Geron's comments, then go back to wide and sparkly in an instant. (Insight success.)

OOC: I don't have my excel doc at work to post the chart, but that is 4 successes and 1 failure. Geron has taken his turn in round 2, and between that and Marcus' roll, the next skill check gets a +4 bonus.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:42 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
The moment Lady Moonfire says the word "criminal," Oboro quickly, but not too quickly, turns to assess their hostess. She listens closely while scrutinizing the Lady's facial expressions and body language. Oboro must know what she's really after.

Insight check: (1d20+12 +1=25)

OOC: I forgot to include the aid bonuses. Also, did Oboro learn anything from last turn's perception check, it was a crit.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Oboro notices a slight air of superiority about Lady Moonfire. (Insight success.)

Looking around the garden, she sees that the calm picture of elegant happiness that Moonfire tries to portray is not quite completely accurate. Guards, mostly plainclothed, line the venue, trying to remain hidden, but the glint of a sword here or chainmail under a tunic there gives them away to Oboro's seeing eyes.

User posted image

OOC: That is 5 successes, and the next skill check can still take a +4 bonus.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Member
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 115
Location: california
Marcus walks to one of the guards, and tries to start up a conversation. "Hey. This is a nice town here. Very quiet though, not much action. Must be awfully boring for someone in your line of work."

diplomacy 1d20+4+1=18
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
The guard ignores the primitively dressed barbarian, moving away. (Diplomacy failure.)

OOC: That is 5 success and 2 failures, and the aid bonus is gone. You might want to consider more aid rolls for the last check.

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: Allena has a +11 with diplomacy. If anyone has a higher bonus, I'll aid their roll. If she has the highest social skill, feel free to roll an aid another for her and I'll clean up 8)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Berna encourages the paladin "You're on a roll Allena. Ask her more about Harrowleaf." Diplomacy aid (1d20+4+1=18 )
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Yes, beer-flavored pastries are quite tasty, I'm sure," Ered mumbles lamely.

Diplomacy Aid (24H) (1d20-1+1=5)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: That's one aid success and 1 aid fail, for +1 total.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Diplomacy skill check (24Hr) (aid another) (1d20+11+1+1=27)

"Hmmm. At a minimum, the presence of the goblins show that at least some of Harrowleaf's concerns are justified. I cannot speak for all my companions, but I would be interested in discussing things further and seeing if I could help with any external threats to Loudwater. What exactly is Harrowleaf worried about?"
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Moonfire's smile eases and becomes a little more strained. She sighs. "You are right, brave Madame Paladin. There are always evils out there. Sometimes there are even evils a little closer, but we are unable to see them." She looks around at the guests of the party. "It is hard to know who to trust these days." (Diplomacy success.)

Her eyes brighten again. "Ah, your reward is here." A strongman brings in a small chest and sets it down before Moonfire. She turns and addresses everyone at the party. "In the days before the Spellplague, it was said that the land was filled with heroes. In our time, we don't often find them... until now. Please join me in cheering these Heroes of Loudwater. Hip hip hooray!!"

Even Geron is filled with the tiniest bit of pride. Berna is even willing to overlook the chest not being locked, as she counts out all 1000 gold pieces. (The party now has 1240 including the value of the gem found earlier.)

OOC: You have achieved level 2. Please send me your new character sheets, and post your new statblocks, and in the meantime, enjoy the rest of Lady Moonfire's party.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"Your reward and generosity are unexpected, but not unwelcome. Thank you lady Moonfire. Perhaps we can talk again soon... in a more suitable setting?"

Once Lady Moonfire answers, Allena is off to do her best to mingle and chat with the guests, guards, and servants as only someone raised in the merchant class can.

diplomacy, insight, and streetwise skill rolls. (1d20+11+1=32, 1d20+7+1=20, 1d20+4+1=23)
diplomacy=32 (nat 20!)
insight=20
streetwise =23
OOC: Looks like Allena will be a major hit at this event :twisted:. Technically, being level 2, Allena gets +1 to diplomacy and streetwise and +3 to insight, but meh. Jon, if it's still day light out, she'll be prim and proper. If night falls, the other side of her personality will come out. Once her God's eye rests, she'll start to drink (possibly to excess given the situation and her comfort level, your call), tell the occasional risky joke, and so forth. Just don't declare she goes home with just anyone ;)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
« Last edit by nmathew on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:59 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Geron nods to random people as they cheer, looking as if this is the least to bbe expected. After Allena's words he adds curtly, "Thank you for acknowledging our efforts on your behalf."

OOC: So that's about 206 gp per PC, don't blow it all on drink and jewelry for Lady Moonfire Nathan. ;)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: Allena is doing her best to worm her way into the inner circle of an influential and no doubt intelligent member of the community. If Moonfire wants to play like a fawning child in public, Allena can play along ;)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Nathan, I don't want you to think I am ignoring this. I just want to make sure I have level 2 info from everyone before doing anything that could have an effect on what the party does next.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: No worries. I don't have my lvl 2 info up yet (working up it as I type

EDIT: http://deadgoblins.com/topic.php?post=18062#post18062 see there for files
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
« Last edit by nmathew on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:06 pm. »
Member
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 115
Location: california
Marcus, figuring that his new status as a Heroe of Loudwater will function as a good excuse for anything inappropriate he might do, makes a beeline towards the bar.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
OOC: Oboro will take divine call for her 2nd lvl utility power and pacifist's reward for her feat. Divine call is an encounter power, minor action, that pulls up to two allies up to three sqaures. Pacificist's reward gives +2 temp hp for hitting with a no damage attack when doing no damage in a turn.
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Berna excuses herself and slips out of the main clump of guests "I just need to powder my nose." The temptation is too great. She just can't resist swiping the foreign-looking ivory statue. Thievery (1d20+14+1=20)

Here is Berna's level 2 Character Sheet

  •  Berna Rhobarrden
    • Female Halfling Rogue 2
    • Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 11
    • AC:17, Fort:12, Reflex:17, Will:15 - Speed:6
    • HP:29/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:7/7
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: used
    •  
    • Powers
      • Acrobatic Strike
      • Sly Flourish
      • Second Chance (when hit, enemy rerolls the attack and uses the second roll, even if it's lower.)
      • Acrobat's Blade Trick
      • Tumble shift up to your speed
      • Handspring Assault

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Ered joins Marcus at the bar and starts chatting with the other party-goers.

For my feat, I took Vigorous Spirit, which adds my Wis mod (+4) to the main recipient of my Healing Spirit. Nice big boost to healing.

For my utility, I took the daily Protective Roots. Minor action. Target: You and each ally in burst (Close burst spirit 1). Effect: Each target gains resistance to all damage equal to your Constitution modifier (+4) until the end of the encounter.

Here's my new PDF: Ered Sarn, Dwarf Shaman 2.

My stat block is updated below, including adding my new totem.


  •  Ered Sarn
    • Male Dwarf Shaman 2
    • Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20, Senses: Low-Light Vision
    • AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 11, Will: 16 - Speed: 5
    • HP: 35/35, Bloodied: 17, Surge Value: 8, Surges left: 11/11
    • Action Points: 1
    • Resists: None.

    • Cast-Iron Stomach (Race): +5 to saving throws versus poison.
    • Stand Your Ground (Race): Reduce forced movement by 1 square. Can attempt a save to avoid falling prone.
    • Companion Spirit (Class): See stat block below.

    • Powers
    • -Call Spirit Companion
    • -Spirit of the Tempest
    • -Voice of Battle
    • -World Speaker's Command - Opportunity Action
    • -Bramble Ally
    • -Healing Spirit x2
    • -Second Wind
    • -Speak with Spirits
    • -Protective Roots
    • -Spirit of Grief's Shadow


    • Items
    • -Bloodhunter Totem +1 - Citical: +1d6 damage per plus, or +1d10 damage per plus against a bloodied target.
    • -Bloodhunter Totem +1 - You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls using this totem against bloodied creatures.


  •  Emyn Sarn
    • Ered Sarn's Spirit Companion
    • AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 11, Will: 16 - Speed: 5
    • HP: "11"

    • Targeting and Damage: The spirit can be targeted by melee or ranged attacks, although it lacks hit points. If a single melee or ranged attack deals damage to the spirit equal to 10 + one-half your level or higher, the spirit disappears, and you take damage equal to 5 + one-half your level. Otherwise, the spirit is unaffected by the attack.
    • Conjuring, Space and Movement: You conjure your spirit companion in an unoccupied square in the burst (minor action, close burst 20). The spirit lasts until you fall unconscious, until you dismiss it as a minor action, or until you use this power again. The spirit occupies 1 square. Enemies cannot move through its space, but allies can. When you take a move action, you can also move the spirit a number of squares equal to your speed.
    • Spirit Boon: Any ally who provokes an opportunity attack by entering or leaving a square adjacent to your spirit companion gains a bonus to all defenses against that attack. The bonus equals your Constitution modifier (+4).

    • Powers Emanating from Emyn
    • -Spirit of the Tempest (Secondary Effect)
    • -Voice of Battle (Attack and Secondary Effect)
    • -World Speaker's Command - Opportunity Action (Attack)
    • -Bramble Ally (Secondary Effect)
    • -Healing Spirit x2 (Secondary Effect)
    • -Protective Roots
    • -Spirit of Grief's Shadow (Secondary Effect)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Allena makes her way around the party, fitting in as though she had known these people all her life. In fact, within about five minutes, the Loudwater nobles are drinking toasts to her beauty, charm, combat skill and, as they get a little drunk, to her armor and even the double L in her name. However, Allena gets the feeling that the nobles are slightly uncomfortable, maybe even afraid. They glance around the grounds, as though looking for something or someone, but then always turn their attention back to the party before anyone can really notice.

The guests so fantastically occupied with her companion, Berna sneaks back into the main house. The ivory statue looks great where it is, but the halfling feels it would look even better in one of her pouches, so in it goes. While she is not sure who deals in foreign statuary, Berna can tell it is worth about 400 gold on the open market.

Marcus and Ered wander over to the bar. Two older nobles, one of them Lord Grandwall, are at one end, trying fairly unsuccessfully to seduce two younger women in particularly revealing dresses. At the other end, a solitary elven male looks sullenly into a mug of ale, which must be at least his fifth, judging by the four empty mugs next to him.

OOC: Feel free to do anything else here at the party that you want, or we can decide where to go next. Viktor, anything in Psionic Power that you want to use instead?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron

Page: « < ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Forgotten Realms » Loudwater

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software