DeadGoblins.com » Eberron » The Mark of Prophecy

The Mark of Prophecy

Moderators: Josh, Michael Doss.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Khavak'aashta only:
    • House Tharashk has been hired by Karrnath to acquire Lord Major Bren ir'Gadden, a Brelish officer and nobleman who was captured in a skirmish a few days ago. They have chosen you to get him. He's being held in a tower on a hillside near Saerun Road on the border of Breland and Cyre. You are to bring the Lord Major to Rekkenmark, Karrnath.


OOC: This and the next few posts are designed to get each character to the map. Feel free to roleplay your journey. Tonight I will post the map of the tower and have people enter 1 group at a time (basically the first person will have 1 turn to decide what they might want to do before the next group goes). Hopefully tomorrow we can start the first encounter. Viktor, will this be a problem? If so, we can just do roleplay stuff until you get back.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:55 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan is deep in dreamless sleep, when he thinks to hear a voice stirring. Could it be?

OOC: I will still be posting tonight, but our flight out to New Orleans is at 9 am tomorrow. Feel free to role-play or even start an encounter. Please have me be last in the initiatives for the PC's so you can at least take your turns. I would prefer not to have other's play Lan before I even get the chance, so I'm not delegating. ;)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Sentinel only:
    • You have received a letter, with a package, from your "benefactor":

      Quote
      There is a ruined tower on a hillside near Saerun Road on the Breland-Cyre border. This tower contains an element of Draconic Prophecy. You are to investigate this Mark of Prophecy and learn all you can from it, and write down the information in this book and leave the book with the innkeeper you work for. However, you are not to leave Zilargo alone. Bring your friend, Kurvilis, along with you for help. He will be funded to pay for your journey.


      You open the package and find a small book with blank pages in it with a quill pen.


  •  For Kurvilis only:
    • You receive a letter and a small bag of gold:
      Quote
      Kurvilis,
      You are being hired to accompany the warforged, Sentinel, to a ruined tower on a hillside above Saerun Road on the Breland-Cyre border. You will make sure that Sentinel returns to Zilargo once his investigation is done. Enclosed are 20 gold pieces to pay for your journey and identification papers that should help keep you safe in your journey. You are to control the money and papers. You will be rewarded for the safe return of the warforged.
      Good Luck.
      The letter is unsigned and you look in the bag to find 20 gold pieces and identification papers for both you and Sentinel.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Kurvilis turns to his only friend, almost feeling bad at taking payment for something he would gladly have done for free. Oh well, it is part of what life owes him for all the beatings he has taken, the insults he has endured. The gnome looks up at the warforged, and his speech is slow and awkward. "S-s-sentin-n-nel. Sh-sh-sh-shall we g-go?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238


  •  For Kurvilis only
      "Kurvilis, it appears that the time has come for me to yet again partially payback my benefactor for arranging my travel to Korrangberg. This time, my instructions are unusual. I have been told to examine a ruined tower on the Breland-Cyre border. That concerns me not. I was also instructed to bring you along. I was told that you would be "funded" to pay for this trip. I owe a debt, and I understand it must be repaid, but I did not ask that you be involved in this. Nevertheless, I would be honored, my friend, if you would accompany me on this journey. I know little of these lands past what I have read."  


    "Kurvilis, I have no choice in this matter, and I cannot ask that you come unless you wish. Know that it would give me great solace if you were beside me on this journey."

    The warforged known as Sentinel mentally prepares himself for what he feels will be a trying endeavor. Checking his blade, he tries to understand the emotion he feels. Shame? no. Fear? no. Guilt? Perhaps this was guilt. Kurvilis didn't deserve to be brought into his problems. Looking at his friend, Sentinel knew that he'd do whatever it took get his friend back to Zilargo safely.
    _______________
    Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
    Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
    Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
    Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
    « Last edit by nmathew on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:38 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Viktor, please check your e-mail and reply before I can post Lan's hook.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan, dressed as an armored courier, travels along the road.

OOC: I replied to your email Josh.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Lan only:
    • You have received an assignment from House Phiarlan:

      Quote
      Lan,
      There is a man, named Aric Blacktree, who we believe is a spy for Cyre. He is the aide to a noble of Breland, Lord Major Bren ir'Gadden. There is a battle expected to occur at Saerun Road where Lord Major ir'Gadden is leading some of the Brelish forces against Cyre. Lord Major ir'Gadden will be expecting to meet a member of our House near a ruined tower on a hill above the road to help him scout Cyran forces for the battle. When you reach him, you are to say, "This must have been a beautiful tower back in the day." Blacktree has been instructed to reply, "I'm not so sure, it's seen a lot of bird crap since then." At that point, you will show Blacktree your identification papers and begin your mission to gain the trust of Lord Major ir'Gadden. Once you have discovered if Blacktree is a spy and who he is working for, you will report back for further orders. You are not to harm Blacktree at this time.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan comes out of his recollection of the missive he received and memorized. It's a good thing he has such a fantastic memory, he thinks to himself, since he burned the letter as usual. He looks up and believes he can just make out what might be a tower in the distance. He smiles wryly to himself.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Khav had been moving along the Brelish-Cyran border for several days, seeking his quarry. From what he'd learned in the last village - or what was left of it, after all the fighting back and forth across the border in these parts - he knew that the tower he was looking for should be close. As he carefully moved around the the base of yet another hill - avoiding cresting it with the sun to his back and giving himself away - he finally saw it. Soon, he'd have his man...
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Khavak'aashta only:
    • The ruined tower juts up from the mountainside, silhouetted against the gray sky. A few leafless trees grow taller than the tower's crumbling walls, and a mound of rubble is piled near the entrance. There's no sign of the doors that once sealed the entrance, and you can see one other place where the walls have broken enough to allow passage into the tower. You can see and hear the sounds of battle on the main road below the hill.


Features of the Area:
Illumination: The areas both outside and inside the roofless tower are illuminated by daylight.
Trees: Each tree's trunk fills 1 square. A character can climb the three with a DC 12 Athletics check. A character perched in the branches is considered to be climbing, but the bare branches grant the character concealment against ranged attacks.
Large Rubble: This heap of rubble is impassable.
Small Rubble: Rubble-filled squares in and around the tower are difficult terrain. Direction: The broken wall is north and the main entrance faces west.

OOC: Gary, can you choose a direction you are coming to the tower from? It does not have to be from a road, but since you are the first there (and you would probably be scouting the location, I'll let you decide where you want to approach from.
EDIT: Added the features of the area.


User posted image
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:19 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
A half-orc, clad in dark leather armor and bearing two short-swords on his back, approaches the tower, if not quite as sneakily as he'd like, at least with his eyes and ears sharply attuned to danger.

Move action - Move from off-map to B17, using Stealth to hide behind tree trunk:

Stealth (24H) (1d20+4+1=10)

Perception check on surroundings:

Perception (24H) (1d20+5+1=20)


  •  Khavak'aashta
    • Male Half-Orc Fighter|Rogue 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10, Senses: Low-Light Vision
    • AC: 17, Fort: 15, Reflex: 16, Will: 10 - Speed: 6
    • HP: 26/26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 8/8
    • Action Points: 1
    • Resists: None.

    • Half-Orc Resiliance (Race): Gain 5 temp HP first time bloodied in an encounter.
    • Swift Charge (Race): +2 speed when charging.
    • Combat Challenge (Hybrid) (Class): Mark targets you attack with Fighter powers and gain Combat Challenge.
    • Sneak Attack (Hybrid) (Class): When using Rogue powers, deal 2d6 bonus damage with combat advantage.

    • Powers
    • -Combat Challenge (F)
    • -Disheartening Strike (R)
    • -Dual Strike (F)
    • -Distracting Spate (F)
    • -Furious Assault
    • -Second Wind
    • -Pommel Smash (R)

    • Items
    • -None yet.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Sentinel and Kurvilis only:
    • The ruined tower juts up from the mountainside, silhouetted against the gray sky. A few leafless trees grow taller than the tower's crumbling walls, and a mound of rubble is piled near the entrance. There's no sign of the doors that once sealed the entrance, and you can see one other place where the walls have broken enough to allow passage into the tower. You can see and hear the sounds of battle on the main road below the hill. You also see an armed half-orc man hiding behind a tree trying to get the lay of the land.


  •  For Khavak'aashta only:
    • Looking at the rubble piled outside the tower, you see numerous small gaps, which might be tunnel entrances. Three kruthik hatchlings are inside the tower. You also see a gnome and an armed warforged walking up to the tower.


Features of the Area:
Illumination: The areas both outside and inside the roofless tower are illuminated by daylight.
Trees: Each tree's trunk fills 1 square. A character can climb the three with a DC 12 Athletics check. A character perched in the branches is considered to be climbing, but the bare branches grant the character concealment against ranged attacks.
Large Rubble: This heap of rubble is impassable.
Small Rubble: Rubble-filled squares in and around the tower are difficult terrain. Direction: The broken wall is north and the main entrance faces west.

User posted image
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:49 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
  •   For Kurvilis only
      I do not like the look of this. I thought it would be best to skirt the sounds of combat we heard, but I do not wish to be trapped inside the tower should any wishing us harm appear. Perhaps we should sit and see how things unfold. That half-orc near the tree seems to have the same idea.

      OOC: Do you think it would be best for me to climb the tree at N12 and have a look around? I would be out of character for Sentinel to do so without Kurvilis beign somewhere you can keep an eye on the half-orc. When it comes to roleplay the situation, I might tell Gary that his smell alerted me to his presence. Might as well get the melee characters off to a friendly start. :mrgreen:  


    Sentinel looks down the hill, hoping that his high vantage point will allow him to discern the cause of the ruckus he hears.

    OOC: Josh, Sentinel will move if will help him see what's happening down the path. He will keep the large rubble between himself and the tower, and, if possible, keep the half-orc within his sight. He will not make any threatening gestures towards the humanoid. At the very least, I'd like to get Jon's input before doing something that cannot be undone.
    _______________
    Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
    Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
    Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
    Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"I agr-gree." Kurvilis waits to see what unfolds.

OOC: If the large rubble provides cover, Kurvilis would like to move to L16, and make a stealth check to become hidden.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Gary, you can make a move, too, before I change the map. Kurvilis is at L16, Sentinel at K17.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: Josh, can we get a bit more information concerning the sounds of combat? How close does it sound, can we see what's up, etc?
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Khav stays as hidden as possible behind the tree, both from the kruthiks and the gnome and warforged pair. He wanted to see what might happen before making his own move.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
You can see a mass of people in the distance and the sounds of metal clashing and explosions. The battle is far enough away that you do not feel threatened by it.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Viktor e-mailed me his first turn, as below:

Lan, dressed in his typical black overcoat concealing his chainmail armor, strides off the small path he used to approach the tower. It seems he is not the only one here and certainly not the only one interested in discretion (perception). It never ceases to amaze him how politics appear to practically permeate the air of Khorvaire. Even this far out from civilization, near an abandoned tower. He briefly thinks back to how different things were in Adar, but quickly banishes the thought.

A slight smirk appears on his astoundingly handsome face. It takes both a cat AND a mouse to play this sort of game. With not a single chain of his armor clinking, Lan sidles behind a tree (H10), concealing himself from all those present (stealth). He then looks inward, trusting in his feelings, trying to gauge whether the half-orc, gnome, or warforged are in any way more on the inside than they appear. One can never be too cautious. Regardless, he plans not to reveal himself until he has fully assessed the situation.

Perception, Insight, Stealth. (1d20+4+1=15, 1d20+11+1=18, 1d20+9+1=27)

OOC: Perception to scan the area and detect any hidden creatures or traps. Stealth to hide behind the tree. Insight to gauge friend from foe and get a feeling for creature’s intentions.

  • Lan
    • Kalashtar Enlightened Ardent, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 21
    • AC: 16 Fort: 12 Reflex: 11 Will: 15 Speed: 5(6), Initiative: +1
    • HP: 24, Bloodied: 12, Surge Value: 6, Surges: 8/8
    • Dual Soul: save rolls vs dazed or dominated at start of turn
    • Telepathy: two-way communication, range 5
    • Mantle of Clarity: allies in range 5, +2 perception/insight, +4 def vs. OA
    • Powers
    • Energizing Strike
    • Focused Strike
    • Ardent Alacrity (free, if bloodied, bst 5, allies shift 1 or move 1/2 speed)
    • Ardent Surge: 1 2 (minor, heal surge +1d6 and +1 defenses)
    • Augment Points: 1 2
    • Bastion of Mental Clarity (imm int, att vs my will, burst 5, +4 will all)
    • Oath of Enmity (minor, lasts until target is hit)
    • Second Wind
    • Wormhole Plunge
    • Items
    • Chainmail
    • Falchion
    • Longspear
    • Gold in pocket: 10
    • Skills
    • Insight: 11
    • Bluff, Diplomacy, Stealth, Streetwise: 9
    • Dungeoneering, Heal, Intimidate, Nature, Perception: 4
    • Acrobatics, Endurance, Thievery: 0
    • Arcana, Athletics, History, Religion: -1
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
        • _______________
          Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
          Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Lan only:
    • The ruined tower juts up from the mountainside, silhouetted against the gray sky. A few leafless trees grow taller than the tower's crumbling walls, and a mound of rubble is piled near the entrance. There's no sign of the doors that once sealed the entrance, and you can see one other place where the walls have broken enough to allow passage into the tower. You can see and hear the sounds of battle on the main road below the hill. You also see an armed half-orc man hiding behind a tree trying to get the lay of the land and a warforged and gnome next to the large pile of rubble.


  •  For Sentinel and Kurvilis only:
    • Looking at the rubble piled outside the tower, you see numerous small gaps, which might be tunnel entrances. You can also see a kruthik hatchling in the tower.


Features of the Area:
Illumination: The areas both outside and inside the roofless tower are illuminated by daylight.
Trees: Each tree's trunk fills 1 square. A character can climb the three with a DC 12 Athletics check. A character perched in the branches is considered to be climbing, but the bare branches grant the character concealment against ranged attacks.
Large Rubble: This heap of rubble is impassable.
Small Rubble: Rubble-filled squares in and around the tower are difficult terrain.
Direction: The broken wall is north and the main entrance faces west.

User posted image
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Kurvilis hides into the rocks. stealth (1d20+4=16)
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Small characters must squeeze in order to enter the tunnels.

Squeezing: Move half speed, -5 to attack rolls, grant CA, provoke OAs anytime you move out of a threatened sq.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Sentinel pulls back away from the tower and tries to make sense of what he's observed.

Skill knowledge checks, arcana, dungeoneering, history, religion, nature (1d20+8=11, 1d20+1=13, 1d20+8=11, 1d20+8=28, 1d20+1=14)

He does his best to avoid detection of the creature in the tower's doorway, and whispers what he thinks he has uncovered to Kurvilis. Stealth roll (1d20+1=15)

Finally, he deliberately points to the half-orc, points towards the tower, and attempts to sign that there is something inside.

EDIT:
My first 4e critical! On an appropriate skill for my character too :twisted: .
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
« Last edit by nmathew on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:36 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
  •  For Sentinel only:
    • You do not know what the things in the tower are, except that they look like large insects. You do know that they hold no real relevance for any religion.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Eberron » The Mark of Prophecy

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software