DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 2: The Dark Orb of Prophecy

Chapter 2: The Dark Orb of Prophecy

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The group returns to see Artimus three days later well rested and better equipped, quite obviously enjoying the spoils of their last adventure. Once gathered, the Guardian looks over the group, and nods approvingly.

"You've done well to equip yourselves for the challenges ahead, and as I hinted, there are very likely to be challenges. This mission will prove longer and more difficult than your last, though it's also likely to be more straight-forward, as we know what we're looking for this time."

Artimus, with a wave of his wand, conjures an image of a large crystal ball, seemingly swirling with dark energy.

User posted image

"This is the Dark Orb of Prophecy. Until the Fourth War, we had this in our possession, and even used it from time to time. It gives its owner a glimpse of the future. As the name implies, it can see only tragic events, typically death, destruction, or mayhem. It doesn't cause these events, but is a lens that's tuned especially toward them."

Artimus dismisses the image, as if the sight of it causes him some pain. He continues, "We believed it had been destroyed during the ransacking of the school, only to discover mentions of such an object two years ago coming out of the Outlands, on the northern coast of Varinia. We believe it to be in the possession of a shadar-kai adept named Thoran, who is using it to see his own future heinous acts and carry them out successfully."

"Thoran has taken residence in the ruins of Spellgard, an ancient tower from before the time of Varis the Great. It is here we believe many of the objects in our collection, including the Dark Orb, were crafted. We think Thoran knows this too, and hopes to increase the orb's powers with the relics there. You must stop him and return the orb here. Any questions?"

As some of you may have guessed, this quest is loosely based on "Scepter Tower of Spellgard", a Forgotten Realms 4e adventure. I'm changing significant parts of it, however, but still, don't go digging through it =)
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred gazes at the image intently, most curious about such an orb. "Uhm, Spellgard is it? That name rings familiar somehow..." He says, pondering what he recalls of the place.

Arcana, religion, history on the orb and Spellgard. (1d20+10+1=14, 1d20+10+1=19, 1d20+5+1=12)

OOC: Good thing I never looked at that one. I bought it way back, when I had ideas to start a FR campaign, before Ari did his thing. Thanks for the warning.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"I hope Thoran is looking in it now. He will see a large handsome dragonborn coming to kill him and retrieve the orb." Gharnash turns to Artimus. "What can you tell us of this Thoran and the tower? How are we to get there?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"This task sounds straightforward enough," Curator 143-Theta says. "At least if this shadar-kai and his minions are cowardly sorts who flee at the first turn of ill luck, as were our last opponents, I have my new arbalest to take them down." The warforged pats the giant crossbow on his back affectionately.

OOC: Arcana, History, Religion (1d20+12+1=21, 1d20+10+1=30, 1d20+5+1=23)

Arcana 21, History 30, Religion 23 to recall anything further on Spellgard.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Ok, well, let's go get this thing." Laz says with a healthy glow about him.

Resistance Type (1d10=9)

OOC: Roll of 9, Resistance is Radiant today.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Both the Orb and Spellgard's history are vaguely familiar to Alfred, but he can't easily place either in any of his recent readings.

Curator is better versed, and knows that Spellgard Tower is thought to be the site of an ancient arcane crafter's guild, and that many of the more ancient magical items in Wisenstone's collection appear to come from Spellgard. Predating Varis by at least a thousand years, few specifics are known about the civilization that produced Spellgard and its magical items, as an extensive dark ages came in the years between.

Rumors say that the site still crackles with magical energy, but its remote location in the far north of Varinia, past the Everice mountains, make adventurer expeditions to the site rare. Many in the nearby towns and villages keep their distance from the tower, feeling it better to avoid it all together.

Just as Curator is passing on this bit of information to his teammates, Artimus again chimes in. "The tower is remote, though there are several small towns within a day's walk, and a not-well-known teleportation circle is contained in one of them on the coast, Slightport. "

Looking toward the Dragonborn, Artimus answers, "Little of known of him other than he seeks great power, and believes both the Orb and tower to be means toward that end. It's thought he has a number of followers as well, and you'll likely have to deal with them before you even meet Thoran or find the Orb."

Walking you out the door and down into the school's basement, he says, "We're ready to head out. The circlekeepers know you will be arriving today, and will direct you to the local pub, where a carriage will be waiting. You should make it to the tower's outer battlement by noon. Best of luck, and may the gods smile on you."

We should be adventuring tomorrow, workday willing...
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 am. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The group makes their way to the teleportation circle in the annals of Wisenstone, and with a few steps leave the school and find themselves in a dark underground chamber, entirely unlike the brightly lit temple of Avandra in Rivervale. The circlemaster says nothing to you, but simply points toward a ramp heading upward into a dimly-lit hall.

Once in the hall, you can make out dragon iconography on the walls, as well the repeating motif of a symbol that resembles a curved, five-pointed star. A hooded cleric approaches you from behind, and gestures out the front archway to a small pub, where a carriage is waiting outside. You all feel immediately more at ease as soon as you leave the temple.

Outside, things feel more normal, and you approach the carriage and its driver, a halfling man, about 35 years old. "Good day, you must be my travelers. Well, hop on in, the sooner I drop you off, the sooner I'm back here safe in Slightport."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash examines the carriage and driver.

perception, insight (1d20+1=11, 1d20+1=13) Perception 11, insight 13.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Gharnash can see that the carriage is made of wood and iron, has four large wheels, and is being pulled by a team of four horses. Otherwise, he doesn't see much else about it worth noting.

The driver is a rather tall and rather chubby example of a halfling, nearly four and a half feet tall and pushing 110 lbs. He seems nice enough and willing to do the job he's been paid for.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred, ever excited by new symbology and learning the histories of the world says. "Err, shouldn't we maybe go back inside and examine the temple. It was most fasciniating and!"
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"We can look at it on the way back," Curator 143-Theta tells Alfred. "Let's be about our business and complete our task, first."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"I suppose..." says the wizard, his shoulders sagging a little.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Yes, let's get to it." Gharnash looks excited to fight again.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Agreed, let's go." Then, turning to the driver, Laz says, "What halfling community are you from?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Gharnash will use Dragonflame Mantle the if he is hit by a melee attack before his turn, giving him +1 to all defenses and doing 1d6 fire damage (+MW if applicable) to anyone who hits him with a melee attack until the end of his next turn.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Curator 143-Theta sprinkles an infusion on the oft-wounded dragonborn, loads his arbalest, and fires at the lead kobold. He tries to recall what he knows of their new foes.

Minor action - Healing Infusion - Curative Admixture on Gharnash, healing him for a surge value's-worth of HP.

Minor action - Load arbalest.

Standard action - Magic Weapon against Blue.

MW vs Blue (24H) (1d20+10+1=20, 1d10+5=7)

Hits AC 20 for 7 damage, and on a hit, Laz, Alfred and Gharnash gain +1 to hit and +3 to damage until the end of Curator 143-Theta's next turn.

Nature (24H) (1d20+1+1=16) - Nature 16.


  •  Curator 143-Theta
    • Male Warforged Artificer 2
    • Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 11
    • AC: 18, Fort: 15, Reflex: 15, Will: 13 - Speed: 6
    • HP:33/33, Bloodied: 16, Surge Value: 8, Surges left: 9/9
    • Action Points: 1
    • Resists: 5 Necrotic

    • Living Construct (Race): No need to eat, sleep, or breath.
    • Unsleeping Watcher (Race): 4 hours of aware inactivity counts as an extended rest.
    • Warforged Resiliance (Race): +2 to saving throws against ongoing damage.
    • Arcane Empowerment (Class): Empower magic items once per day plus 1/per milestone with either Impart Energy or Augment Energy.
    • Arcane Rejuvenation (Class): When an ally uses a daily magic item, they gain 5 temp HP.

    • Powers
    • Magic Weapon
    • Static Shock
    • Burning Weapons
    • Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture OR Resistive Formula x2
    • Second Wind
    • Warforged Resolve
    • Punishing Eye
    • Restorative Infusion

    • Rituals
    • Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole

    • Items
    • -Magic Superior Crossbow +1.
    • -Leather Armor of Resistance (Necrotic) +1
    • -Potion of Healing x2.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Curator heals his friend then fires his magic weapon at the kobold, causing some damage. The hit gives his comrades a magical advantage.

The shielded kobolds move into position, blocking the path and almost daring the group to attack.

Initiative: Status
Curator: 33/33
Red Kobold Dragonshield: No damage
Yellow Kobold Dragonshield: No damage
--> Laz: 29/29 (+1 to hit, +3 to damage)
Gharnash: 23/29 (+1 to hit, +3 to damage)
Alfred: 30/30 (+1 to hit, +3 to damage)
Green Kobold Skirmisher: No damage
Blue Kobold Skirmisher: Down 7
Kobold Wyrmpreist: No damage

Some clarification and question on the walls. They're 5 feet high, meaning all of you stick out over the top, but the kobolds don't. Is there a special rule for cover for small creatures?.

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:36 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Here we go again. Never any civilized communication. I, uhm, would be happy to hamper the four nearest kobolds and keep them distant."

OOC: If the kobolds are completely behind the walls, then that blocks line of sight and prevents single target ranged attacks. If anybody is obscured by the wall, it sounds like that might be considered concealment. Alfred now has enlarge spell feat, which means he can use grasping shadows or icy terrain as a area burst two attack and just -2 damage. I'm thinking icy terrain. So if you want to stay out of melee another round, duh, that would be fine. Would icy terrain be better centered at G10 or H10?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: It depends if Laz and Gharnash can kill red this turn. =) In general, I would think hurting the wyrmpriest would be better, as it's probably the tougher kill. Oh, Mike, Gharnash's surge value is 8 due to dragonborn adding their CON modifier to surge value, so he should be at 23/29.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
You're right. Fixed.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Why does everyone always attack us first?" Laz says before launching a psychic bolt against the nearest kobold. The blast severely affects the first kobold and bounces away hitting the others like dominoes. When the kobolds left standing can finally look up again, they see a gnoll snarling at them.

Standard Action: Chaos Bolt (Cha vs. Will, Hit: 1d10+9 dam, if att. was even, make secondary attack: within 5 sq, vs. Will; Hit: 1d6+5 damage, if att. was even make secondary attack)

Chaos Bolt Yellow(+7 W, +1 24hr, +1 MW) (1d20+9=23, 1d10+9+3+1d6=26)

Chaos Burst: If first att. of turn is even roll, +1 to AC

Chaos Bolt secondary attack Red (+7 W, +1 24hr, +1 MW) (1d20+9=27, 1d6+5+3+1d6=17)

Chaos Bolt secondary attack Blue(+7 W, +1 24hr, +1 MW) (1d20+9=17, 1d6+5+3+1d6=11)

Chaos Bolt secondary attack Green(+7 W, +1 24hr, +1 MW) (1d20+9=18, 1d6+5+3+1d6=16)

Challenge-Seeking Dagger +1: Deal extra 1d6 damage when you hit a target that is at max HP

Minor Action: Changeling Disguise (Alter form to new Medium humanoid, gain +5 bonus to Bluff vs. Insight against new form) to Gnoll

OOC: Laz uses CB on Yellow, hitting Will 23 for 26 damage. Roll was even, so gain +1 to AC until end of next turn and secondary attack on a hit. Secondary on Red, hitting 27 Will for 17 damage. Roll was even, secondary attack on Blue, hitting Will 17 for 9 damage (I kept the challenge-seeking dagger in that roll, which was a 2, but I think Blue should already be down 8). Roll was even, so on a hit, secondary attack on Green, hitting Will 18 for 16 damage. That roll was odd, so that is all done. Then Change into a Gnoll. Dragonflame Mantle is readied.


  •  Laz
    • Male Changeling Sorceror 2
    • Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 12
    • AC:19, Fort:12, Reflex:15, Will:18 - Speed:6
    • HP:29/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:7/7
    • Resist Radiant 5
    •  
      • Powers
        • Changeling Disguise (Shapeshift, +5 to Bluff vs. Insight)
        • Chaos Bolt (R10; Will; Hit: d10; if even, att within 5, 1d6)
        • Dragonfrost (R10; Fort; Hit: d8, push 1 sq)
        • Second Wind (Lose surge, gain 7 HP, +2 to defenses)
        • Action Point x1 (Take an extra action)
        • Changeling Trick (M1; Bluff vs. passive Insight, gain CA)
        • Bedeviling Burst (Cb3 (1 or 2); Will; 1 or 2; Hit: d10, push 4; if even, slide)
        • Dragonflame Mantle (Int: Hit; +1 to def, 1d6 dam to melee attackers)
        • Chromatic Orb (R10; Ref; Hit: 3d10, d6 for effect; Miss: d10, d6 for effect
          • 1: Radiant, dazed (save ends); 2: Fire, adj. to target takes 4 fire
          • 3: Poison, 5 OGD poison (save ends); 4: Lightning, slide 4
          • 5: Cold, immobile (save ends); 6: Psychic, -2 AC (save ends)
        • Challenge-Seeking Dagger +1 (Deal 1d6 extra damage to enemies at max HP)
        • Veteran's Leather Armor +1 (Use AP, +1 to att and def)
         
      • Items
        • Dagger (Implement)
        • Staff (Implement)
        • Healing Potion x2 (Use surge, recover 10 HP)
        • Sunrods x2
        • Hempen Rope (50 feet)
         
      • Abilities
        • Basic Melee +6 (+3 Prof, +1 Exp, +1 W, +1 1/2 lvl)
        • Basic Range +7 vs. Fort (+4 Cha, +1 Exp, +1 I, +1 1/2 lvl)
        • Chaos Burst 1st att. roll: +1 AC if even; save if odd
        • Chaos Power +4 damage
        • Unfettered Power 20: slide 1 & prone; 1: Push all 1
        • Wild Soul Roll d10 for resist & avoidance of resist
          • 1: Acid; 2: Cold; 3: Fire; 4: Force; 5 Lightning
          • 6: Necrotic; 7: Poison; 8: Psychic; 9: Radiant; 10: Thunder
         
      • Skills
        • Acrobatics +10 (+4 Dex, +5 trained, +1 1/2 level)
        • Arcana +7 (+1 Int, +5 trained, +1 1/2 level)
        • Athletics +1 (+0 Str, +1 1/2 level)
        • Bluff +12 (+4 Cha, +5 trained, +2 race, +1 1/2 level)
        • Diplomacy +5 (+4 Cha, +1 1/2 level)
        • Dungeoneering +0 (-1 Wis, +1 1/2 level)
        • Endurance +7 (+1 Con, +5 trained, +1 1/2 level)
        • Heal +0 (-1 Wis, +1 1/2 level)
        • History +2 (+1 Int, +1 1/2 level)
        • Insight +2 (-1 Wis, +2 race, +1 1/2 level)
        • Intimidate +5 (+4 Cha, +1 1/2 level)
        • Nature +0 (-1 Wis, +1 1/2 level)
        • Perception +0 (-1 Wis, +1 1/2 level)
        • Religion +2 (+1 Int, +1 1/2 level)
        • Stealth +5 (+4 Dex, +1 1/2 level)
        • Streetwise +5 (+4 Cha, +1 1/2 level)
        • Thievery +5 (+4 Dex, +1 1/2 level)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Laz, questioning the targets on his group's backs, unleashes a powerful attack in response to the kobold ambush, first attacking the dragonshield, then using that attack to hit three of the beast's allies. Yellow, at the center of the maelstrom, begins to bleed heavily from his ears and mouth.

Initiative: Status
Curator: 33/33
Red Kobold Dragonshield: Down 17
Yellow Kobold Dragonshield: Down 26 (bloodied)
Laz: 29/29 (+1 to hit, +3 to damage, +1 to AC)
--> Gharnash: 23/29 (+1 to hit, +3 to damage)
Alfred: 30/30 (+1 to hit, +3 to damage)
Green Kobold Skirmisher: Down 16
Blue Kobold Skirmisher: Down 16
Kobold Wyrmpreist: No damage

You're right about Blue's damage. It's fixed above. If anyone's keeping track, I believe 68 damage in that attack is the record for this campaign...

User posted image

_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred raises an eyebrow. "Most impressive, Laz. Gharnash...would you be so kind as to push the healthier looking kobold back a little. I would really like to freeze all of their blood together."

OOC: Awesome rolls Josh. Jon, if there's any way you can push red back a little, I could target them all with either grasping shadows or icy terrain, using burst 2.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash stares in awe at Laz's massive attack. Feeling a little humbled, he decides to unleash a powerful attack of his own. He moves forward and exhales a mighty breath of acidic fumes at the two nearest kobolds.

Move: Shift to C15.
Standard: Tempest Breath vs. Red and Yellow 1d20+7+1+1=29, 1d20+7+1+1=15, 2d6+9+3=18 CRIT vs Red for 24 acid damage and hits 15 vs. REF on Yellow for 18 acid damage. Any enemy hit cannot gain CA until the end of Gharnash's next turn, and Gharnash gains concealment until the end of his next turn.

If either one is still alive, Dragon Breath vs. Red, Yellow. 1d20+7+1+1=19, 1d20+7+1+1=11, 1d6+1+3=6 Hits 19 vs. REF on Red and 11 vs REF on Yellow for 6 fire damage.

  •   Gharnash
    •  Male Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer 2
    •  Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    •  AC:18, Fort:16, Reflex:13, Will:18 - Speed:6
    •  HP:23/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:8, Surges left:7/7
    •  Action Points: 1
    •  +1 att while bloodied, +2 AC after first bloodied
    •  Resist/Pierce 5 fire
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Burning Spray
    •  Dragonfrost
    •  Dragon Breath
    •  Tempest Breath
    •  Dragonflame Mantle
    •  Second Wind
    •  Dragonfang Bolt
    •  Healing Potion (Heroic) (2)


Edit: OOC: Sorry, Viktor. Didn't see your post until mine was done.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:00 pm. »

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 2: The Dark Orb of Prophecy

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software