DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » Den of the Destroyer

Den of the Destroyer

Moderators: Emily, Michael Doss.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade is seemingly back to his old, sober self this morning, not a trace of his previous nights drunkenness noticeable. You see that he's wearing his typical black tunic, black pants, black cloak street attire however, and wonder if he might not be a little fatigued. "Hmmm....I seem to have missed a point or two from last nights events. Why are we loitering in Brindol instead of heading back to Overlook? Something about finding a gray boulder maybe? Wouldn't it be better to look for that outside of town?" He asks the group.

OOC: Ravenblade's top skills are nature (12), perception (12), endurance (12), dungeoneering (8), athletics (11), and acrobatics (9). Gary is probably right that some of these are best used after we leave town. Alternatively, I could use nature as a kind of geography knowledge skill or dungeoneering as a kind of fortress architecture and likely location knowledge skill. I think someone else's character has higher dungeoneering though
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Mal goes to see Councilman Troyas, figuring that he would know as much as anyone in the town about the fortress, "Hail, Councilman. My comrades and I are looking for a Castle Greyskull, I mean Fortress Graystone. We have word that something evil is brewing there and will threaten the town soon. Do you know of its whereabouts?"

OOC: IC is down. Diplomacy check +11.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Mal asks Councilman Troyas about the fortress Diplomacy (1d20+11=26). (Diplomacy Success) The councilman replies "Ah yes, I've heard of a place by that name. Ancient monk stronghold of some sort? Honestly, local history and geography is not my strong suit. Why don't you consult with Sertanian? If there is any individual in Brindol that knows about historical sites in the area, it'd be him."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Hedoni takes a gander at Salazar's book to refresh himself, and on Troyas' advice, returns to see Seranian. "Can you tell us any more of Fortress Graystone? It seems we may have business there after all. We know it's likely in the Giant's Shield, but any help you could provide would be appreciated. "

History Check: (1d20+11+1=21)
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
At a moment when the group reunites, Ravenblade comments. "Hmmm...I seem to recall hearing that there's a prospector's guild somewhere in Brindol. I wonder if they've found any good mining sites in the Giant's Shield and may have come across the Graystone. Salazar, maybe you can find the guild seeing that you're more comfortable in large cities like this than I am."

Streetwise aid roll. (1d20+3+1=16)

Brindol Map
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
After examining the book that Salazar stole borrowed from Councilman Troyas, Hedoni questions Sertanian. The currator reads the entry on Fortress Graystone and it seems to jog his memory. "Ah yes, the old Githzerai hideout. I heard a story that it was out past the village of Red Rock. I remember an old trapper saying a stream up in the mountains lead to some ancient steps with four statues. I bet that's the fortress. If you explore, you'll probably be able to find it."

User posted image

OOC: I'm going to let Ravenblade redo his turn. Salazar already did a History check and won't be able to use that aid roll until after Daggoth takes his turn. At that point you' should be on your way. Ravenblade would be better off leading the group out of town, into the wilderness, and using some other skill to find the fortress.

Also, this is your opportunity to do other things in town, like shop or visit a temple, before heading out to the dungeon.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Well, on the other hand, maybe we should just try to find our own way through the Giant's Shield."

OOC: It was not intended as a history aid, but a streetwise aid for Salazar to find the prospectors guild and then question them if any of their surveyors have seen the monastery in the mountains. Maybe I'm not understanding what a prospectors guild is for though. I guess it doesn't matter though, since we can head out now.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:29 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Viktor wrote
OOC: It was not intended as a history aid, but a streetwise aid for Salazar to find the prospectors guild and then question them if any of their surveyors have seen the monastery in the mountains. Maybe I'm not understanding what a prospectors guild is for though. I guess it doesn't matter though, since we can head out now.


OOC: I know you meant for Ravenblade to do a streetwise aid for Salazar. However, your group only needs 6 successes total and only 2 of those needed to be in town. Since you're going to have to find the place out in the mountains, you will eventually have to leave town and search for the fortress in the wild. I just meant that by the time Salazar has a chance to actually use that streetwise aid, you should already be out of town and finding the place. Also figured Daggoth would have more options for a successfully skill roll if you were out in the wilderness. It isn't a big deal, so if you insist on visiting the prospector's guild you can.

If you're on IM, I can try to explain better.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Well, what do the rest of you think? Have you spent enough time studying boring old tomes and thinking about the problem? I think it's time we actually act on the solution and head into the mountains. Let's gather what provisions we need at Staghunter Outfitters and then depart."

OOC: It makes sense, no worries. Does the group need to replenish on healing potions? Ravenblade has 3 left. Andronsius may still give us a 25% discount in his store. Anything else we might want, new cool stuff, residuum for Hedoni's rituals?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Mal should probably buy a potion or two (both of his are gone). So, let's have him buy 1.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Josh wrote
OOC: Mal should probably buy a potion or two (both of his are gone). So, let's have him buy 1.


OOC: Maybe we should set up a communal pool just for healing potions because it's luck and circumstance that decides who needs to use them. Since we have no idea how much gold each player has at any given time, we could decide on the amount of potions each player should carry and at the end of an adventure or section, just deduct that gold from our group total. Not quite sure how to track this though. Speaking of which, I think we found some spoils at the the temple of Ioun (in the spider room and the water room). Can we sell them? Did Emily already post about that at the end of Stonestep Hill? I don't have quite enough gold yet, but is it possible to commission some Iron Armbands of Power in Brindol or does it have to be in a bigger town?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
OOC: Hedoni has plenty of residuum, but will buy one more healing potion, for a total of two. I don't think he needs anything else.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
You gather up the necessary supplies and head out towards the Giant's Shield mountains.

User posted image

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Well, the good news is that I recognize this area around Brindol. The bad news is that we have a long and perilous journey ahead of us."

1d20+12+1=26 (Nature skill roll).
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
"Perilous? I don't think a day has gone by that my life has not been in danger since I joined up with this lot..."

Daggoth, glad to be underway, scans the terrain for any sign of their objective.

Perception check (1d20+4+1=13)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"Aww, you know you love it, ya big lug!"

Hedoni makes his way along the trails, hoping to pick up something the others may have missed. His cat scouts around also, as cats are want to do.

Nature Check: (1d20+10+1=13)

OOC: Hah, guess not.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
As the group moves along the path, Salazar can be seen fingering something in his pocket. Soon enough, you here him muttering to himself.

"Yes, yes, I see it, too. Of course..."

The mage then seems to remember the other Liberators. "Ah, yes. See this rock here along the side of the path? If you look closely, you can see it's actually a statue, well-worn by the long years exposed to the elements. Originally, it depicted Gith, the ancient liberator of the race that became the githzerai and githyanki. Both races often place statues of her near their enclaves to ward off intruders. If we go this way, we should find more such statues that lead us right to the Fortress."

History (24H) (1d20+13+1=34) - Crit! :)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade looks to where Salazar points. "Yes, I see it now too. That statue's stone blends very well into the natural terrain of the mountain foothills here. It's easily missed. I will keep my eyes open for more of them."

1d20+12+1=15 (Perception skill roll).

OOC: Looks like I'll have a busy day at work today, so I posted now. If Daggoth wants to try a perception aid roll for Ravenblade, it might help since 15 is kind of low.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Although Salazar spots a very distinct marker pointing the way to the ancient fortress, the others are pretty clueless. (Nice improv Gary!)

User posted image

User posted image

Unfortunately, Ravenblade is too busy trying to examine the worn Gith statue and he does not hear the approaching footsteps of a gnoll patrol. You see two gnolls on foot wearing hide armor and are carrying greatswords made of Sinistranium, the native Shadowfell metal. Another similarly garbed gnoll rides a massive hyena. A fourth gnoll rides a hyena and carries a flail. The mounted gnoll in the rear snarls something in a language none of you understand, but it sounds pretty vicious.

All plants are difficult terrain.

Initiative: Status
->Salazar: 60/60
Hedoni: 48/48
Ravenblade: 62/62
Mal: 55/55
Gnoll Scourge on Blue: no damage
Blue Hyena: no damage
Red Gnoll Guard on Purple: no damage
Purple Hyena: no damage
Orange Gnoll Guard: no damage
Pink Gnoll Guard: no damage
Daggoth: 73/73

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
« Last edit by Emily on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:36 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Saalzar moves forward, shadows clinging to him, as the mage hexes the closest hyena - "I've seen scarier dogs in the alleys of Brindol!" He then hurls a bolt of flame at the hyena.

Minor action - Curse Purple Hyena.

Move action - Move to E8, granting concealment due to Shadow Walk.

Standard action - Fiery Bolt against Purple Hyena.

Fiery Bolt Purple (Prime Shot, 24H), Curse, Splash damage (1d20+10+1+1=17, 3d6+7=16, 1d6=2, 1d6+7=12)

Hits Reflex 17 for 16 fire damage and 2 curse damage (18 total damage), and on a hit, all adjacent creatures (everyone but the Scourge) take 12 fire damage.


  •  Salazar Miller
    • Male Human Warlock 7
    • Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18
    • AC: 20, Fort: 20, Reflex: 20, Will: 18 - Speed: 6
    • HP: 60/60, Bloodied: 30, Surge Value: 15, Surges left: 10/10
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    • Resist 5 Fire, 5 Necrotic
    •  
    • Powers
    • Dire Radiance
    • Eldritch Blast
    • Hellish Rebuke
    • Diabolic Grasp
    • Fiery Bolt
    • Fey Switch
    • Ethereal Stride
    • Howl of Doom
    • Scorching Burst x2
    • Flames of Phlegethos
    • Vestige of Ugar
    • Choker of Eloquence +2 (Daily)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Salazar moves forward and throws bolt of fire at the large beast in front of the pack. At the last minute, the animal dodges aside.

Initiative: Status
Salazar: 60/60
->Hedoni: 48/48
Ravenblade: 62/62
Mal: 55/55
Gnoll Scourge on Blue: no damage
Blue Hyena: no damage
Red Gnoll Guard on Purple: no damage
Purple Hyena: no damage, cursed
Orange Gnoll Guard: no damage
Pink Gnoll Guard: no damage
Daggoth: 73/73

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Wow! That was quite the sight! I could swear time froze for a minute there while that Hyena dodged your fiery attack, Salazar."

OOC: Either Salazar is the slowest casting warlock out there or that Hyena knows how to freeze time. I wish we all had sixty seconds to dodge our attacks. ;)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Hedoni tries to recall what he knows about Hyenas, though he decides pretty quickly what to do when he sees his enemies bunched together.

Free Action: Nature check on hyenas.
Standard Action: Cast Stinking Cloud at C3, hitting Gnoll Scourge on Blue, Blue Hyena, Red Gnoll Guard on Purple, Purple Hyena, Orange Gnoll Guard and Pink Gnoll Guard.

Nature check on Hyenas: (1d20+10+1=19)
Stinking Cloud on Gnoll Scourge on Blue, Blue Hyena, Red Gnoll Guard on Purple, Purple Hyena, Orange Gnoll Guard and Pink Gnoll Guard. (1d20+9+1=11, 1d20+9+1=11, 1d20+9+1=24, 1d20+9+1=15, 1d20+9+1=17, 1d20+9+1=19, 1d10+8=18)

Stinking Cloud hits Fort 11 on Gnoll Scourge on Blue, Fort 11 on Blue Hyena, Fort 29 on Red Gnoll Guard on Purple, Fort 15 on Purple Hyena, Fort 17 on Orange Gnoll Guard and Fort 18 on Pink Gnoll Guard for 18 poison damage. Creatures that enter the zone or start their turns there take 1d10 + 8 poison damage. Cloud blocks line of sight.

  •  Hedoni Mindartis
    • Male Eladrin Wizard 7
    • Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 17
    • AC:19, Fort:17, Reflex:19, Will:20 - Speed:6
    • HP:48/48, Bloodied:24, Surge Value:12, Surges left:4/8
    • Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    • Powers
      • Ray of Frost
      • Scorching Burst
      • Cantrips (Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation)
      • Fey Step
      • Force Orb
      • Icy Rays
      • Twist of Space
      • Shield/Jump
      • Wizard's Escape/Dimension Door
      • Rolling Thunder/Freezing Cloud
      • Bigby's Icy Grasp/Stinking Cloud
      • Healing Word
      • Feinting Gloves
      • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Item Power, Utility, Used/Not Available)

    • Magic Items
      • Bag of Holding
      • Bloodthread Cloth Armor +1 (+2 to AC/saving throws when bloodied)
      • Amulet of Protection +2
      • Staff of Ruin +2 (2d10 extra damage on critical attack)
      • Cat Familiar (+2 Acrobatics, no range limit, +5 to cat's Stealth)
      • Feinting Gloves (+2 to bluff checks to gain CA, daily power)

_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Hedoni also gets +2 to damage if I hit two or more enemies. Darn Destructive Wizardry I keep forgetting about...
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » Den of the Destroyer

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software