DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Page: « < ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

Author Post
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Laz again releases a burst of energy, this time having more luck - the red guard feels the full effect of his Bedeviling Burst. The blast itself takes almost everything out of the guard, but the trailing blast from Alfred's storm pillar is enough to knock the guard unconscious.

The blue guard has the will to resist the attack, but is looking scared with the quick departure of his friend.

Initiative:Status
Gharnash: 7/24 (Bloodied, +2AC)
Red Guard: Unconscious
Blue Guard: Down 16
Laz: 23/24
--> Curator: 27/28
Alfred: 17/26
Fire Warrior: 6/13

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Whoa! A round without Gharnash getting hit!!!
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Curator 143-Theta draws a dagger, hurls it a the remaining guard and gives Alfred and Gharnash a mystic edge to their next attacks, and then draws another dagger.

Minor action - Draw dagger.

Standard action - Magic Weapon, throwing dagger at Blue Guard.

MW vs Blue (24H) (1d20+9+1=24, 1d4+4=6)

Hits AC 24 for 6 non-lethal damage, and on a hit, Alfred and Gharnash gain +1 to hit and +3 to damage until the end of Curator 143-Theta's next turn.

Minor action - Draw dagger.


  •  Curator 143-Theta
    • Male Warforged Artificer 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 16, Fort: 14, Reflex: 14, Will: 12 - Speed: 6
    • HP:27/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 1/9
    • Action Points: 0

    • Powers
    • Magic Weapon
    • Static Shock
    • Burning Weapons
    • Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture OR Resistive Formula x2
    • Second Wind
    • Warforged Resolve
    • Punishing Eye
    • Rituals: Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Curator has better luck with his dagger, hitting the guard and giving his allies a boost with their attacks.

Initiative:Status
Gharnash: 7/24 (Bloodied, +2AC, +1 to hit and +3 to damage)
Red Guard: Unconscious
Blue Guard: Down 22
Laz: 23/24
Curator: 27/28
--> Alfred: 17/26 (+1 to hit and +3 to damage)
Fire Warrior: 6/13

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
With a silent comand, Alfred urges his fire warrior to shift a step away and then move out of range from the guards halberd. He then flips through the pages of his tome, almost without looking now, and beckons dark grasping hands to envelop the now lone guard.

1d20+5+1+1=10, 1d8+4+3=14 (Grasping Shadows, burst 1 zone, centered at the space BEHIND the blue guard)

OOC: Moving summoned creatures is a minor action only. Fire warrior shifts to 902, then moves again to the space on the path next to 607. Grasping shadows is 10 vs Will for 14 damage and slowing. Zone stays until end of Alfred's next turn. Any creature entering the zone takes 4 psychic damage and is slowed.

EDIT: I meant to center the grasping shadows in the space behind the blue guard and have edited the above attack. I hope it's okay to amend that.


User posted image

  •  Alfred Sartanius
    • Male Human Wizard, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16
    • AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14 Speed: 6, Initiative: +0
    • HP: 26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges: 1/9
    • Powers
    • Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    • Phantom Bolt
    • Thunderwave
    • Storm Pillar
    • Grasping Shadows
    • Summon Fire Warrior
    • Dailys and Utilities stored in Spellbook
    • Grease
    • Items
    • Tome of Binding (encounter/free) +3 damage for summonings that turn
    • Ceramic Hand Focus used to control Unseen Servants
    • Guardian Ring: given by the Headmaster
    • Rituals
    • Comprehend Language
    • Create Campsite
    • Unseen Servant
    • Residuum: 45 gp + 30 from the headmaster
    • Healing Potion
    • Gold in pocket: 31
    • Skills
    • Arcana, Religion: 9
    • Nature: 8
    • Dungeoneering, Insight: 6
    • History: 4
    • Endurance: 3
    • Heal, Perception: 1
    • Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery: 0
    • Athletics: -1
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
        • _______________
          Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
          « Last edit by Viktor on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash exhales a mighty breath of poison, careful not to hit the fire warrior. The suffocating fumes obscure the dragonborn to the guard's eyes. Gharnash then tries to use his dragon breath, but hiccups instead. Gharnash then drops the guard unconscious with a bolt of cold.

Standard: Tempest Breath tempest breath (1d20+4+1+1+1=26, 2d6+8+3=17) Hits 26 vs REF for 17 poison damage, and on a hit, Gharnash gains concealment until the end of his next turn.
Minor: Dragon Breath dragon breath (1d20+6+1+1+1=10, 1d6+1+3=7) Natural 1 misses.
ACTION POINT! Dragonfrost dragonfrost (1d20+4+1+1+1=22, 1d8+8+3=19) Hits 22 vs FORT for 19 cold damage

OOC: Edited to add use of AP. Mike, if it is too late, disregard it.

  •   Gharnash
    •  Male Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer 1
    •  Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
    •  AC:16, Fort:15, Reflex:12, Will:17 - Speed:6
    •  HP:7/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:7, Surges left:0/7
    •  Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
    •  +1 att while bloodied, +2 AC after first bloodied, Resist 5 lightning
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Burning Spray
    •  Dragonfrost
    •  Dragon Breath
    •  Tempest Breath
    •  Dragonfang Bolt
    •  Healing Potion
    •  Ghostphase Amulet
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 am. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Alfred summons a dark zone of shadows, but the guard is unaffected. He is not unaffected, however, but Gharnash's attacks. The Dragonborn hits the guard first with a his poison breath, then his dragonfrost, and the combination is too much for the guard to handle - he drops unconscious.

The group earns 300 Experience.

Initiative - Final
Gharnash: 7/24
Red Guard: Unconscious
Blue Guard: Unconscious
Laz: 23/24
Curator: 27/28
Alfred: 17/26
Fire Warrior: 6/13

Let me know what you want to do. I assume we're returning to town. The Mage is still unconscious where you left him, but without his amulet, isn't likely to cause more trouble.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Let's go get the mage and present him to the authorities."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Let's leave these guys here and get back to town, and then to the portal." Gharnash jingles the coins around in his pack, dreaming about what he will buy with his newfound wealth. Looking at Laz, he nods. "Yes, I guess we should turn the mage in."

OOC: Anyone have any opinion on how much of the loot to return to the townspeople? Gharnash will not tell anyone about it, and would rather keep it.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Yes, let us turn the mage into the proper authorities," Curator 143-Theta agrees. "As for the gold, we retrieved it, did we not? We should be able to keep it. I'd like to fund some of my research."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"You logic is sound." comments Alfred to Curator.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Our job was to get the artifact, not to rob these people. Won't the school compensate us for our work?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"How are we to be the judges of claims, though?" Gharnash asks Laz. "Should we decide who is entitled to what? Are we certain nobody will claim they lost more than they actually did? It seems simpler to just keep the money. Maybe we can return the specific items, the gems and goblets and the like?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"We are members of the Wisenstone School of Magic, not tax collectors that return or keep property. As Curator said, we are certainly entitled to compensation for risking our lives. Uhm, yet Gharnash is right. We have no need of family heirlooms and their subjective value by the families of Twinmarsh is probably vastly inflated over their intrinsic value. Returning choice pieces sounds reasonable to me."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: So are we decided? Are we turning in the heirlooms and keeping the 4000 gold when we turn the mage in?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The group take a moment to rest up, then heads back into the estate and down into the mines to recover the Mage. Luckily for them, he's just where they left him - semi-unconscious in the corner. With some effort, the group gets themselves, the loot, and the mage back to town.

Back in Twinmarsh, the group attracts a lot of gawkers as they pull Johnson's body through the town square. Two of the town leaders, in formal clothes, stop you, and the lead one asks "What is this? What happened to Master Johnson? What is all that stuff you're carrying?"
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash, hating questions with rather obvious answers, decides to allow his companions to respond. His mother always told him that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Still, she never said anything about killing irritating townspeople...
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Master Johnson here was your 'ghost,'" Curator 143-Theta replies slowly, as if instructing a novice on the most basic cantrip.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"We found this on him," Laz says as he grabs the amulet and activates it. Once the townsfolk are aware of the transformation, he deactivates it.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"Oh....my. He was the ghost, with that thing?" says the leader, looking at the amulet. "So do you have our stolen goods as well? And our gold?"
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred raises an eyebrow quizzically and says. "Err, uhm, about that...maybe my friends can explain." he evades.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"We found some heirlooms. Hopefully it was all of them. We will drop this all off with the authorities, and you can all get it from them." Gharnash chooses not to say anything about the gold, hoping that the prospect of getting back their goods will satisfy the mob for now.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The group looks unsure, but follows you to the constable's offices at the center of town. You hand over the mage and the heirlooms, carefully making no mention of the gold, saying only that you found these items in Johnson's possession.

The head constable looks at you and says "He will be given a trial, of course, but you don't need to be around here for that. I've had my suspicions. We appreciate all your help in this, even with all that unpleasantness yesterday. We don't have a reward or anything, but we hope you came what you were looking for. He'll be made to pay for this, if he's the ghost, that is."

The constable takes Johnson into the back, leaving you to go on your way. One of the guards from yesterday's unpleasantness is with the group now asking at the desk for their items, but they don't seem to be paying you any more attention.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
If the group is done with their business, they can do what they'd like here in town, or start the trek home.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Laz is ready to go.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light

Page: « < ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software