DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Page: « < ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"I think you're right, Alfred," Curator 143-Theta agrees. "There may be guards on the other side of that gate, but if so, I think we can talk our way past them or just knock them out if need be."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Or we can knock them out first and talk our way out of it after... that seems to work for us."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The group decides to take the direct route, and walk out the front door of the house they've found themselves in. Once outside, Alfred's suspicions are confirmed: this is the Johnson estate, and they're now on the inside of the gates they were trying to pass last evening. Hearing you come down the road, the guard yells "Who's there? This is private property. How did you get inside the gate? Don't make any sudden moves."

Initiative:Status
--> Gharnash: 17/24
Laz: 23/24
Red Guard: Unharmed
Blue Guard: Unharmed
Curator: 27/28
Alfred: 25/26

Jon, I didn't see that you'd used any surges or healed, so I left Gharnash as is. Also, do you still have the amulet active? You can, but you can't take standard actions with it active.

Also, you don't have to fight the guards, but feel free to...


User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:46 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Amulet is not active. Also, didn't heal anymore because Gharnash is out of surges.

"Guards, we are on our way to the town magistrate. We have stopped the "ghost" who has been absconding with the town's valuables. Now let us pass so that we may continue on our way."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Noting the odd makeup of the group, the guard says "Dragonborn...Warforged? You're the lot that was here last night, looking for Master Johnson. You must have gotten over the back wall. And Ghost? Pfft. More likely you've stolen our master's things, and are gonna blame it on that ruddy ghost! Stay where you are, and drop yer weapons!"
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash sighs. Here we go again, he thinks. "I don't wish to fight you, but we WILL continue on our way."

Ready Burning Spray vs. first guard to attack one of us. ready burning spray (1d20+4+1=25, 1d8+8=13) CRIT for 16 fire damage, and the first enemy to hit Gharnash with a melee attack takes 4 fire damage.

  •   Gharnash
    •  Male Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer 1
    •  Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
    •  AC:16, Fort:15, Reflex:12, Will:17 - Speed:6
    •  HP:17/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:7, Surges left:0/7
    •  Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  +1 att while bloodied, +2 AC after first bloodied, Resist 5 lightning
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Burning Spray
    •  Dragonfrost
    •  Dragon Breath
    •  Tempest Breath
    •  Dragonfang Bolt
    •  Healing Potion
    •  Ghostphase Amulet
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: If someone else wants to talk our way out of this, please feel free.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Look, we were exploring the mines and somehow ended up in this house. We don't mean any harm. We are just trying to get back to town and be on our way." Laz says as he looks around nervously.

Diplomacy check (+4 skill, +1 24hr) (1d20+5=10)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Uhhh, about stopping that ghost. Didn't we leave him unguarded down there. Granted, he's tied up, but we never even questioned him. Maybe we should go back..." says Alfred, feeling somewhat stupid.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"You will let us pass, fleshbags," Curator 143-Theta says peevishly.

Diplomacy (24H) (1d20+5+1=8 )

  •  Curator 143-Theta
    • Male Warforged Artificer 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 16, Fort: 14, Reflex: 14, Will: 12 - Speed: 6
    • HP:27/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 1/9
    • Action Points: 0

    • Powers
    • Magic Weapon
    • Static Shock
    • Burning Weapons
    • Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture OR Resistive Formula x2
    • Second Wind
    • Warforged Resolve
    • Punishing Eye
    • Rituals: Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Thinking a 10 Diplomacy didn't get us there. And as for Viktor's revelation, d'oh!
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Gharnash readies an attack, but neither he nor his comrades can convince the guards to let them through. Smiling to himself, the guard says, "You tell the most unconvincing lies I've ever heard." The strong, well-trained former military types stand their ground, almost daring you to try to pass.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
To his companions. "I could conjure a storm pillar between us and them, maybe at, uhm, 10 feet from the guards. They wouldn't be able to come near us without being struck thrice by lightning. The rest of you could easily disable them from afar I think. "

OOC: Mike didn't describe if the guards have ranged weapons, but even if they do, they will not be as effective with them. If we surprise engage them and Alfred goes first, they would have to take minimum 15 damage each to engage us in melee. Since they have their arms crossed and are waiting, we could take the initiative with storm pillar at two spaces above red. Only catch would be that they can back off o the sides. If so, I can move the storm pillar further down and so forth. Just let me know if you want to proceed with this idea. I suggest non-lethal damage.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Wait, so you are guarding the house from people getting in and you won't let us get out?" Laz then whispers to his companions, "Maybe we can just go back through the mines and get out that way?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"We have done nothing wrong. Why should we run away like common criminals? They should be lauding us as heroes."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Err, the Headmaster did say that we should try to keep a low profile. I think we should either return to the manor and see if we can, uhm, question that wizard whose name we don't even know. Alternatively, if that idea does not appeal, we should just knock these two out and proceed to Twinmarsh."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"I say we knock them out, but going back to the mines would also allow for some more goblin hunting."

OOC: Doesn't matter to me.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Have we decided whether or not to fight them?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
I'm curious about that too =D
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Laz prefers to avoid the combat.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: I assumed we'd have to fight them. I doubt they'll just let us walk back into the house now.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
OOC: You could always run (past them, or back into the house). but yeah, they're not gonna let four dudes who just came OUT of their boss' house, without their boss, just wander by, pockets weighed down by gold =D
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Gharnash always prefers the fight. So that is 1 for, 1 against. Gary, Viktor?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Without warning, Alfred conjures a Storm Pillar ten feet in front of the two guards. "Uhm, you two should have let us pass I think." he says without much threat in his voice.

OOC: His actions speak for themselves. Since the guards are just standing there waiting for us to act, I hope it's okay that Alfred acted first of everyone. He essentially took the "initiative". Conjuring storm pillar two spaces up from red, assuming that the wall is two spaces thick. If it's only one space thick and we just can't see the three dimensionality, then he will place the pillar right in front of red.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The guards were waiting for their turn - Alfred can't go until they do.

The wall is, in fact, two spaces thick.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm. »

Page: « < ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software