DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Page: « < ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Didn't the mage use an amulet to walk through walls?" Gharnash examines the mage to find it.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Curator 143-Theta binds the mage with some rope, then works to repair himself and his companions. That done, he examines the room and the items on the table.

Use two surges to get to 27/28 HP and go to 2/9 surges. I'll spends those two surges to replenish my Healing Infusions, dropping me to 0/9 surges.

Arcana, History, Perception, Religion (24H) (1d20+11+1=30, 1d20+9+1=14, 1d20+5+1=18, 1d20+4+1=6)

Arcana 30, History 14, Perception 18, Religion 6


  •  Curator 143-Theta
    • Male Warforged Artificer 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 16, Fort: 14, Reflex: 14, Will: 12 - Speed: 6
    • HP:27/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 0/9
    • Action Points: 0

    • Powers
    • Magic Weapon
    • Static Shock
    • Burning Weapons
    • Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture OR Resistive Formula x2
    • Second Wind
    • Warforged Resolve
    • Punishing Eye
    • Rituals: Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Laz looks over at the mage trying to find the object they were sent for.

Arcana, Dungeoneering, Percption (1d20+7=12, 1d20+0=19, 1d20+0=13)

OOC: Laz doesn't see much, but uses 3 surges to get to 23 HP. One surge is left.


  •  Laz
    • Male Changeling Sorceror 1
    • Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 11
    • AC:14, Fort:11, Reflex:14, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:23/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:1/7
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used, Resist Fire 5
    •  
      • Powers
        • Changeling Disguise (Shapeshift, +5 to Bluff vs. Insight)
        • Chaos Bolt (R10; Will; Hit: d10; if even, att within 5, 1d6)
        • Dragonfrost (R10; Fort; Hit: d8, push 1 sq)
        • Changeling Trick (M1; Bluff vs. passive Insight, gain CA)
        • Bedeviling Burst (Cb3 (1 or 2); Will; 1 or 2; Hit: d10, push 4; if even, slide
        • Chromatic Orb (R10; Ref; Hit: 3d10, d6 for effect; Miss: d10, d6 for effect
          • 1: Radiant, dazed (save ends); 2: Fire, adj. to target takes 4 fire
          • 3: Poison, 5 OGD poison (save ends); 4: Lightning, slide 4
          • 5: Cold, immobile (save ends); 6: Psychic, -2 AC (save ends)
         
      • Items
        • Dagger (Implement)
        • Quarterstaff (Implement)
        • Healing Potion
        • Sunrods x2
        • Hempen Rope (50 feet)
         
      • Abilities
        • Basic Melee +4 (+3 Prof, +1 Exp)
        • Basic Range +5 vs. Fort (+4 Cha, +1 Exp)
        • Chaos Burst 1st att. roll: +1 AC if even; save if odd
        • Chaos Power +4 damage
        • Unfettered Power 20: slide 1 & prone; 1: Push all 1
        • Wild Soul Roll d10 for resist & avoidance of resist
          • 1: Acid; 2: Cold; 3: Fire; 4: Force; 5 Lightning
          • 6: Necrotic; 7: Poison; 8: Psychic; 9: Radiant; 10: Thunder
         
      • Skills
        • Acrobatics +9 (+4 Dex, +5 trained)
        • Arcana +6 (+1 Int, +5 trained)
        • Athletics +0 (+0 Str)
        • Bluff +11 (+4 Cha, +5 trained, +2 race)
        • Diplomacy +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Dungeoneering -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Endurance +6 (+1 Con, +5 trained)
        • Heal -1 (-1 Wis)
        • History +1 (+1 Int)
        • Insight +1 (-1 Wis, +2 race)
        • Intimidate +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Nature -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Perception -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Religion +1 (+1 Int)
        • Stealth +4 (+4 Dex)
        • Streetwise +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Thievery +4 (+4 Dex)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Are any of you having any luck?"

OOC: I edited my previous post to write that Alfred uses two surges (2/9 left) and is at 25/26 HP. Gary, if you'd like, Alfred can donate one surge so that Curator can also have one left. Just let me know.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Curator binds the still-unconscious mage as the group looks around the room. The tables have a variety of objects on them, as well as several large piles of gold coins, organized into nice piles - you estimate there to be at least 4,000GP. In addition, you find some jewels next to an ornate (but non-magical) sword, a set of very expensive looking goblets, and a variety of mundane but pawnable household goods. The room appears to have been a storeroom for these objects.

As Curator is tying up the mage, he finds the amulet Gharnash is after. The Dragonborn doesn't know much about it, but both Alfred and Curator recognize the magical properties of the necklace.

User posted image

The glowing, transparent jewel seems to phase in and out of place, though you can tell it takes a lot of mental energy to make it work. None of you have ever seen such a powerful item outside of Wisenstone.

Ghostphase Amulet
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, Will
Property: Gain +5 to Stealth.
Power (Encounter): Standard Action. Gain Phasing and Insubstantial until the end of the encounter. While using the power, you can't take any other standard actions, and take -5 to all checks. You can dismiss the power as a minor action.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Wow, I can't believe we got it. We should get this other stuff to the townsfolk before we head back." Laz then changes back into a halfling.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"I could summon one or more servants to help us carry everything. We have sufficient residuum I believe. However, perhaps there is a wagon or something similar we could use instead."

OOC: Each unseen servant can carry 100 pounds and requires 20 residuum to summon. They last until an extended rest.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Curator, is this the item we seek?" Gharnash surveys the room, thinking the group should get some of the loot, and they should just tell the townspeople to come claim the rest later, rather than haul it out. He then remembers the staircase up. "I wonder what is up the stairs."

OOC: Gharnash would vote to go up the stairs and finish exploring the mines. Also, if this is not the item missing from Wisenstone (or even if it is), does someone want to wear it for now? Maybe even to scout out the rest of the mine?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"This is indeed our goal," Curator 143-Theta replies with a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Good idea on the surge donation, Viktor. I'll take one of your surges and save on of mine, leaving me at 1/9 surges.

I agree with seeing what's upstairs. I think the most wounded PC should keep the necklace for now.


  •  Curator 143-Theta
    • Male Warforged Artificer 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 16, Fort: 14, Reflex: 14, Will: 12 - Speed: 6
    • HP:27/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 1/9
    • Action Points: 0

    • Powers
    • Magic Weapon
    • Static Shock
    • Burning Weapons
    • Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture OR Resistive Formula x2
    • Second Wind
    • Warforged Resolve
    • Punishing Eye
    • Rituals: Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Well, let's take what we need and then explore further. We can always come back for the rest, although that sharpshooter friend of ours might try stealing it when it finds out the wizard is dead."

OOC: I think Gharnash should wear the amulet. He's down to zero surges, is always in the frontline, and could even use a breath attack (minor) action while the amulet is active. I'm fine with going upstairs after taking the loose gold, the amulet, the ornate sword, the goblets, the jewels, and whatever else we can carry without burden.

Alfred will use two surges to heal up to 25/26 HP and donate one to Curator's infustion. He is now at 1/9 surges.


User posted image

  •  Alfred Sartanius
    • Male Human Wizard, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16
    • AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14 Speed: 6, Initiative: +0
    • HP: 26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges: 1/9
    • Powers
    • Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    • Phantom Bolt
    • Thunderwave
    • Storm Pillar
    • Grasping Shadows
    • Summon Fire Warrior
    • Dailys and Utilities stored in Spellbook
    • Grease
    • Items
    • Tome of Binding (encounter/free) +3 damage for summonings that turn
    • Ceramic Hand Focus used to control Unseen Servants
    • Guardian Ring: given by the Headmaster
    • Rituals
    • Comprehend Language
    • Create Campsite
    • Unseen Servant
    • Residuum: 45 gp + 30 from the headmaster
    • Healing Potion
    • Gold in pocket: 31
    • Skills
    • Arcana, Religion: 9
    • Nature: 8
    • Dungeoneering, Insight: 6
    • History: 4
    • Endurance: 3
    • Heal, Perception: 1
    • Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery: 0
    • Athletics: -1
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
        • _______________
          Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Gharnash is fine taking the necklace for now, but if a slightly less wounded PC wants to use it to scout upstairs, that is also fine. Gharnash can carry a lot of loot. Mike, I am assuming the FORT, REF, and WILL bonuses are 1?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The group makes their way up the narrow spiral staircase, and climbs almost vertically for more than a 100 feet before reaching a trap door. They move through one at a time to find themselves in a small cellar, surrounded by bottles of wine and cured meats, as well as a fair number of storage boxes. The group knows immediately that they're no longer in a goblin-invested mine.

Not finding anything of interest in the cellar, the group heads up the stairs and emerges into the bright light of a well-stocked kitchen in what appears to be a private home. There's no activity here; all the fires are out and you don't sense anyone to be in the house with you. Out the window you see a large, well-maintained garden, and beyond that, a large wall, obviously meant to keep outsiders out.

It is late morning.

The amulet is +1, yes.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Let's go to the authorities here and be done with our mission."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Mike, when we loaded up with loot, how much did we carry out?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Most, if not all of it. All the named items, 4000GP, and likely the smaller unnamed items too.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"I wonder who this house belongs to. Whoever it was must have been in cahoots with the "ghost.""
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Hearing no response from his companions, Gharnash takes a look around the house for clues as to who might live there. However, whether due to lack of knowledge or lack of anything unusual to be found, he doesn't notice anything. "Let's head back to the school."

perception, religion, arcana, history (1d20=9, 1d20+1=11, 1d20+6=11, 1d20+3=4)

OOC: Since we don't know what is outside the wall, Gharnash can use the new amulet and walk through it to scout. Also, if anyone else has anything you want to look at/for in the house, as my rolls all sucked.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Yes, let's get back to Twinmarsh and use the teloportation ring as soon as possible. It seems our assignment is completed."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Curator 143-Theta nods in agreement with Alfred and Gharnash.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash concentrates on the amulet, feeling the power of the artifact well into him as he vanishes from view. Unsure exactly how it is supposed to work, and knowing from a lifetime of dragonborn roughhousing that walls tend to hurt when run into, he moves slowly toward the wall, and walks through it. He then looks around to get his bearings and checks for danger. He tries to move as silently as possible.

stealth (1d20+1+1+5=11) Stealth is either 11 or 6, if the -5 penalty to checks also extends to the stealth bonus conveyed by the amulet. Either way, Gharnash is about as quiet as a... dragonborn. ;)

OOC: Mike, Gharnash will make a full circuit around the house to look (or stop when he sees danger) and then head back to the group to report.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Gharnash in the lead, the group takes in their surroundings as the dragonborn utilizes their new find to do some scouting. He has trouble both concentrating and scouting at the same time, but sees that they're inside a large manor house, and there's a wall surrounding the whole property. On the northern side of the estate is a small road loading down to a gate and gatehouse.

Unfortunately, the concentration needed to use the amulet doesn't let Gharnash see anything else about the property. Still inside the house, the group finds more indications that the house belongs to a wealthy merchant, but they can't tell much else.

The group can go out of the house, down the road and out the front gate, or return to town via the mines.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"As much as I would like to search the rest of the mines for more goblins to kill, let's get back to town and back to the school the more direct way."

OOC: I vote for the road.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Agreed. The road is likely to be safer, and we're too damaged to take much more without recharging," Curator 143-Theta agrees.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Let us go then. Although...if I'm correctly transposing the scenery in a mirror image...could it be that we were at those gates down there, on the other side, earlier this day?"
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Yeah, let's go down the road. I have had enough slinking around underground for one day."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light

Page: « < ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software