DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Page: « < ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Seeing that Laz isn't getting far, Gharnash comes over to the goblin, bares his teeth, and whispers in his ear, "Tell us what you know about a ghost, or I can make this VERY painful for you." The goblin begins to shake in fear.

Intimidate vs. goblin intimidate (1d20+11+1=28)
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The goblin looks up at the dragonborn, and knows immediately that he's serious. "Fine, fine, please don't kill me - I'll tell you anything. We are mining, but we were told that no matter what else we're doing, we have to protect the mines from any attackers, or anyone coming looking for anything - our boss told us someone might come someday. We're supposed to stop anyone from getting to the back mine..."

He stops abruptly, and the look on his face says that he's told too much.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:20 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"What is in the back mine?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Carefully observing Gharnash interacting with the goblin hexer, Alfred makes some notes in his book, whispering quietly about "...surprisingly able to control rage..."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Still fearful but indignant, the goblin says, "Right through the east door -- long tunnel, then the chamber. But they're in there, waiting. Don't say I didn't warn you."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Anyone have any other questions for the goblin? If not, what do you want to do with him? Gharnash would drop him down the pit.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred mumbles while scribbling away. "...goblin reacts with indignation, even when facing obvious death...untrustworthy..."

OOC: Alfred is busy observing and documenting. I don't really care what happens with the goblin.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Last chance for anyone to question him before Gharnash sends him down the pit.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Curator 143-Theta just shrugs his metallic shoulders as Gharnash dangles the goblin over the pit.

OOC: Drop 'im! :)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Grinning, imagining this goblin to be the one who has escaped him thus far, Gharnash drops the squirming creature into the pit, sending it to whatever unfortunate deity created something so ugly.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Ahhh. I see you're done. Let's move on." says Alfred, closing his book and moving to wait patiently at the exit for the others to take the lead.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Let's head to this back mine. Maybe the ones waiting for us are the ghost and his cohorts." Gharnash walks over toward the east door of the chamber (1405) and looks down the corridor.

perception (1d20=17) Perception 17
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Having extracted everything they needed from the goblin, Gharnash puts him out of his misery and ends any thought the goblin may have had about a life of slavery.

The group heads down the east passage, and finds themselves in another mine, this one bisected by a very large pit, obviously a cave-in from long ago. The group also can't help but notice a very ugly, very viscous looking goblin on the far end of the room, talking with a human male. There are also three smaller, younger goblins near their leader. On the other side of the fissure is a familiar-looking sharpshooting goblin, looking somewhat healthier than last time you saw him. Seeing you enter, he screams "That's them, boss! The intruders!"

Lighting: The room features only a few dim torches on the walls (low light).
Fissure: The fissure is 10 feet across at its widest, and 5 feet at its narrowest. It can be jumped with a successful Athletics check.
Rubble: Squares with rubble piles are difficult terrain.

Initiative: Status

--> Laz: 24/24
Gharnash: 23/24
Blue Sharpshooter:
Human:
Goblin Boss:
Red Goblin:
Yellow Goblin:
Green Goblin:
Curator: 28/28
Alfred: 22/26

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:42 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Laz focuses on the nearest goblin, launching psychic energy at him. The changeling shifts into a Minotaur.

Standard Action: Chaos Bolt (Cha vs. Will, Hit: 1d10+8 dam, if att. was even, make secondary attack: within 5 sq, vs. Will; Hit: 1d6+4 damage, if att. was even make secondary attack)

Chaos Bolt (+5 I, +1 24hr) (1d20+6=12, 1d10+8=17)

Chaos Burst First att. of turn: Even roll, +1 to AC; Odd roll, provides saving throw

Chaos Bolt Secondary Attack (+5 I, +1 24hr) (1d20+6=26, 1d6+4=6)

Unfettered Power On attack roll: Roll of 20, slide 1 and knock prone; Roll of 1, Push all creatures within 5 of me 1 sq

Chaos Bolt Secondary Attack (+5 I, +1 24hr) (1d20+6=26, 1d6+4=6)

Chaos Bolt Secondary Attack (+5 I, +1 24hr) (1d20+6=25, 1d6+4=9)

Minor Action: Changeling Disguise (Alter form to new Medium humanoid, gain +5 bonus to Bluff vs. Insight against new form) to Minotaur

OOC: Laz uses CB on Yellow, hitting Will 12 for 17 damage. Even roll gives +1 AC and on a hit, secondary attack. Secondary attack hits Green Will 26 (CRIT!) for 10 damage and slides 1 (to 1005) and knock prone. Secondary attack on Red hits Will 25 for 9 damage. Change into a Minotaur.


  •  Laz
    • Male Changeling Sorceror 1
    • Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 11
    • AC:15, Fort:11, Reflex:14, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:4/7
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used, Resist Fire 5
    •  
      • Powers
        • Changeling Disguise (Shapeshift, +5 to Bluff vs. Insight)
        • Chaos Bolt (R10; Will; Hit: d10; if even, att within 5, 1d6)
        • Dragonfrost (R10; Fort; Hit: d8, push 1 sq)
        • Changeling Trick (M1; Bluff vs. passive Insight, gain CA)
        • Bedeviling Burst (Cb3 (1 or 2); Will; 1 or 2; Hit: d10, push 4; if even, slide
        • Chromatic Orb (R10; Ref; Hit: 3d10, d6 for effect; Miss: d10, d6 for effect
          • 1: Radiant, dazed (save ends); 2: Fire, adj. to target takes 4 fire
          • 3: Poison, 5 OGD poison (save ends); 4: Lightning, slide 4
          • 5: Cold, immobile (save ends); 6: Psychic, -2 AC (save ends)
         
      • Items
        • Dagger (Implement)
        • Quarterstaff (Implement)
        • Healing Potion
        • Sunrods x2
        • Hempen Rope (50 feet)
         
      • Abilities
        • Basic Melee +4 (+3 Prof, +1 Exp)
        • Basic Range +5 vs. Fort (+4 Cha, +1 Exp)
        • Chaos Burst 1st att. roll: +1 AC if even; save if odd
        • Chaos Power +4 damage
        • Unfettered Power 20: slide 1 & prone; 1: Push all 1
        • Wild Soul Roll d10 for resist & avoidance of resist
          • 1: Acid; 2: Cold; 3: Fire; 4: Force; 5 Lightning
          • 6: Necrotic; 7: Poison; 8: Psychic; 9: Radiant; 10: Thunder
         
      • Skills
        • Acrobatics +9 (+4 Dex, +5 trained)
        • Arcana +6 (+1 Int, +5 trained)
        • Athletics +0 (+0 Str)
        • Bluff +11 (+4 Cha, +5 trained, +2 race)
        • Diplomacy +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Dungeoneering -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Endurance +6 (+1 Con, +5 trained)
        • Heal -1 (-1 Wis)
        • History +1 (+1 Int)
        • Insight +1 (-1 Wis, +2 race)
        • Intimidate +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Nature -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Perception -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Religion +1 (+1 Int)
        • Stealth +4 (+4 Dex)
        • Streetwise +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Thievery +4 (+4 Dex)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Laz unleashes multiple waves of psychic energy, hitting and killing each of the three forwardmost goblins. Their leader looks on incredulously at both their quick death, and the minotaur now standing in the room.

Initiative: Status
Laz: 24/24
--> Gharnash: 23/24
Blue Sharpshooter:
Human:
Goblin Boss:
Red Goblin: Dead
Yellow Goblin: Dead
Green Goblin: Dead

Curator: 28/28
Alfred: 22/26

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Seeing the rapid deaths of the goblins that were acting as shields for their overlords, Gharnash moves a step closer and sends a powerful poisonous bolt at both the Goblin boss and the human.

Move: Shift to 0204
Standard: Dragonfang Bolt vs. human, boss dragonfang bolt vs human, boss (1d20+5=10, 1d20+5=23, 2d8+8=20) Hits 10 vs. FORT on Human and 23 vs. FORT on Goblin boss for 20 damage on either a hit or a miss. On a hit, 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).

  •   Gharnash
    •  Male Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer 1
    •  Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
    •  AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:11, Will:16 - Speed:6
    •  HP:23/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:7, Surges left:2/7
    •  Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  +1 att while bloodied, +2 AC after first bloodied, Resist 5 lightning
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Burning Spray
    •  Dragonfrost
    •  Dragon Breath
    •  Tempest Breath
    •  Dragonfang Bolt
    •  Healing Potion
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Gharnash steps into the room and unleashes his most powerful attack, hitting both the goblin boss and human for 20 damage. The human is quick in dislodging the bolt, but the goblin feels its continuing effects for a few moments before shaking himself free of the poison.

Seeing the action in front of him, the sharpshooter yells out "Not this time!" and fires a crossbow bolt at Gharnash. The dragonborn, however, easily avoids it.

The human steps forward and reveals a quarterstaff; he then says in incantation and hits it on the stone floor, causing a thundering burst to explode behind Gharnash. Curator is able to weather the assault, but Gharnash, Laz and Alfred each take 9 damage and suffer the sound's effects (dazed, save ends).

The goblin boss smiles at the group's new predicament, and moves forward, ready to attack.

Initiative: Status
Laz: 15/24 (Dazed)
Gharnash: 14/24 (Dazed)
Blue Sharpshooter:
Human Mage: Down 20
Goblin Boss: Down 25
Red Goblin: Dead
Yellow Goblin: Dead
Green Goblin: Dead

--> Curator: 28/28
Alfred: 13/26 (Bloodied, Dazed)

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Is there a passageway off the southern wall, or is that solid?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Perhaps a perception or dungeoneering check might solve that problem for you =)
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: I was referring to the black spot on the map, but fiiiiiine. =)

Still reeling from the attack, his head spinning, Gharnash glances across the fissure at what is on the other side.

perception, dungeoneering (1d20=12, 1d20=16) 12 Perception, 16 Dungeoneering
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Gharnash looks toward the other side of the pit, and sees a small opening in the southern wall. He thinks it'd be a tight fit, but he believes he'd be able to fit through, and crawl to where ever it leads.

It's a small opening, about 5 feet up off the ground.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Oh dear! I feel very sluggish all of a sudden. I wonder if that human also has magical phasing abilities like the thief we are looking for."

OOC: You didn't post it Mike, but I guess the goblin boss took it's poison damage and then saved vs the OGD poison. Also, can you please remind us what dazed does. I think it means just one action, but do we have any minuses to attack or any other effects? Can we use and action point to take two actions? Lastly, are the spaces under 504 through 1004 partway in the chasm? If someone is moved there, would they have to make a save roll to prevent falling?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:42 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
That's exactly right. It saved at the end of its turn, but I incorporated it into the flavor text up top.

I'm gonna say 0505 - 1005 can be moved through safely, but require an Acrobatics balance check of 10 to avoid falling if you end your turn there.

Dazed mostly limits you to one action per turn and grants CA. Here's the PH1 text:


User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:08 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Curator 143-Theta moves up near all of his allies, then hurls his dagger at the goblin. His blade misses and he draws another.

The warforged then summons a mystic eye that will aid his allies in harming their foes.

Move action - Move to 0104.

Standard action - Magic Weapon against Goblin Boss.

MW vs Goblin Boss (24H) (1d20+9+1=14, 1d4+4=5)

Hits AC 14 for 5 damage, and on a hit, Alfred, Laz and Gharnash gain +1 to hit and +3 to damage until the end of Curator 143-Theta's next turn.

Minor action - Draw dagger.

ACTION POINT!

Standard action - Cast Punishing Eye in 0504.

Effect: You conjure an eye in a square within range. It lasts until the end of the encounter. Enemies within 3 squares of the eye do not benefit from concealment, and when an ally attacks an enemy within 3 squares of the eye and hits, that enemy takes psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier (+4). You can move the eye 3 squares as a move action.


  •  Curator 143-Theta
    • Male Warforged Artificer 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 16, Fort: 14, Reflex: 14, Will: 12 - Speed: 6
    • HP:28/28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 4/9
    • Action Points: 1

    • Powers
    • Magic Weapon
    • Static Shock
    • Burning Weapons
    • Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture OR Resistive Formula x2
    • Second Wind
    • Warforged Resolve
    • Punishing Eye
    • Rituals: Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Curator steps into the room and throws a rare errant dagger toward the dodging goblin boss. While drawing another, he summons his reserves and conjures a floating eye to aid in his and his ally's attacks.

Initiative: Status
Laz: 15/24 (Dazed)
Gharnash: 14/24 (Dazed)
Blue Sharpshooter:
Human Mage: Down 20
Goblin Boss: Down 25
Red Goblin: Dead
Yellow Goblin: Dead
Green Goblin: Dead

Curator: 28/28
--> Alfred: 13/26 (Bloodied, Dazed)

User posted image
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War

Page: « < ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software