DeadGoblins.com » Dungeon Delves » Orc Stronghold

Orc Stronghold

Moderators: Gary, Jonathan Berg, Josh, Michael Doss, nmathew, Viktor.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Once more, the sound of a gong summons members of the Guild to gather for a selection announcement. Along with everyone else, you strap on all your gear and head over to the central courtyard. It doesn't take long for the Guildmaster to step out onto the balcony overlooking the courtyard. He is an ancient and formidable looking Fey, conveying with a mere glance the deadly powers at his beckon. None of you know his name, let alone what adventures he must have had prior to becoming the Guildmaster. Those of you who have been in Loudwater for more than a few days know that the townspeople both respect and fear him.

This day, however, there is another figure standing in the shadows behind the Guildmaster. You can barely make him out, but he stands with a bearing about him that suggests royalty.

"Our Guild has once again been called upon to undertake a quest," says the Guildmaster through the mouths of more than a hundred doves that are flying over the courtyard for the occasion. "This mission will be dangerous, but the reward in fame, honor, and gold coin will be great. I choose..."

User posted image

Finally! Along with the five other named soon-to-be heroes and heroines, you make your way out of the courtyard and on to the Guildmaster's study. You barely register the shoulder pushes and disgruntled noises from all the other guild members; such is your anticipation to at last begin leaving your mark on the world.

After the six of you have entered the Guildmaster's study, the door closes behind you of its own accord. The Guildmaster is nowhere to be seen, but two of the doves from the courtyard are pecking at some seeds on the otherwise bare desk. The bookcases are mostly empty, a few dusty volumes sitting haphazardly on some of the lower shelves. Lastly, your gaze falls upon your would-be companions in the as yet unknown endeavor. You feel that this would be the ideal moment to introduce yourself.

Carric - Elf Avenger (Marek)
Ishara - Deva Invoker (Mike)
Khemnos - Tiefling Swordmage (Gary)
Mika - Kalashtar Cleric (Viktor)
Elinar - Elf Rogue (Josh)
Edaya - Githzerai Monk (Emily)

OOC: Why mess too much with a good intro? Thanks, Viktor!
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:30 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
At first appearing somewhat timid, casting furtive glances at her newest companions, a very young-looking cleric raises her left hand to wave a friendly greeting to no one in particular. She is wearing a loose white tunic and loose trousers over some chainmail armor. Religious symblols adorn the the sleeves of her shirt. She is only carrying a dagger and wearing a simple symbol around her neck that seems to pulse with soothing energies.

"My name is Mika and I sense that I have been chosen as guardian over the rest of you. It must be because some of you will be faced with great danger and suffer grievous wounds. I pledge that I will do all in the name of Pelor to shield us from harm." she says with a surprisingly melodious and confident sounding voice, very much at odds with her apparent unease.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Elinar looks at the cleric hungrily, "Do what you wish, lass. Just make sure I get a chance to stab something. Hee hee hee."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Not perturbed by the elf's comment, Mika responds. "As long as you stab in the name of justice and good, I will have no qualms about it." Her face then takes on a fierce expression. "Attack the innocent however and you will suffer Pelor's wrath." she adds quietly.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"I have fought for this Fey twice before, and I can assure you he insists on a strong, fair fighting force."

Moving forward, the Deva, a tall, very slender woman in flowing robes, speaks again. "I am Ishara of the Deva. I fight for my god, Ioun, in the name of knowledge, rightousness, and truth. We will be victorious this day."

OOC: Really wasn't going for the Worf thing, but whadda ya do?
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Truth, justice, good...what about stabbing things for fun? Hee hee hee."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Her face serious and obviously seeing no humor in the situation, the Deva says "Then you will have the wrath of at least two gods against you."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Now you see my grand plan for dealing with all your extra HP. Turn the rogue and invoker against each other. Hehehe.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Bah," the tiefling in leather armor, longsword at his hip, scoffs. "Justice, amusement... petty concepts. I will slay those who we are charged with defeating to prove that it is in my power. That is reason enough."

"I am Khemnos Eversorrow. My foes will rue the name."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
A githzerai, clothed simply and carrying no visible weapons, looks quizzically at Elinar and Khemnos. She seems concerned at hearing their dismissive comments and says seriously "There is no higher pursuit than that of Justice. However, Law and Justice are not always the same. The cruelest tyranny is perpetuated under the shield of Law and in the name of Justice." Then after a pause "I am Edeya."

OOC: Jonathan, can you list everyone's race and class together? Thanks.

  •  Edeya
    • Female Githzerai Monk 3
    • Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
    • AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:34/34, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/8
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    • Powers
      • Centered Flurry of Blows
      • Crane's Wings
      • Dragon's Tail
      • Iron Mind (when hit, gain +2def until end of next turn)
      • Open the Gate of Battle
      • Twin Thunders
      • Whirling Mantis Step
      • Harmonious Discipline (gain 4 temp HP. When no temp HP remaining, gain a bonus +4 to dam on next melee attack).
      • Vicious Monk Unarmed Strike +1
      • Sylvan Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1
      • Amulet of Resolution +1

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Edited in the first entry to reflect race as well.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"My foes will never know my name enough to rue it...I'll stab them too fast. Hee hee hee. For you, though, my name is Elinar. Hee hee hee."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
The study dims, and from the corner of the room behind you, the shimmering image of the Guildmaster appears. "Shoo," he says to the birds on the desk, and they fly out a window, which closes silently behind them. You all turn and face the Guildmaster as he addresses you.

"You six have been chosen to undertake a quest which I will consider a personal favor." Excitement surges through you. A favor for the Guildmaster!?!? "Lord Cullerming, a long-time member and financier of this Guild, requests that we rid his home of some unexpected guests. As he has been such a strong supporter of this Guild for many years, I have told him I would send only my best. Do not let me down! He will explain more."

The Guildmaster's image fades, and you hear the sound of a throat clearing behind you. Turning back, you see a figure sitting at the Guildmaster's desk. He looks to be in his mid-40s, with a full beard covering his rounded face. His clothing points him to be upper class, complete to an expensive looking fur cloak and solid gold amulet.

User posted image

"I am Lord Cullerming," he says, though you had already guessed that. His voice is slightly nasal, and suggests of being used to giving orders to servants rather than conversing with equals. "I recently returned from some travels abroad and decided to make use of my summer cottage in the hills outside Loudwater. So imagine my surprise when I walked up the front stairs and my butler was struck dead by a flying handaxe! I was extremely put out. It is so hard to find a good butler these days. But more than that, these villains frightened away my horse, leaving me to walk back to town like a commoner. They must be punished. I order you to travel to my cottage and kill each orc, for they were orcs I saw that day, you find there. But do not, under any circumstances, damage my china!!! Now, if there are no questions, I shall retire to my quarters to interview new butlers."

The nobleman leaves the room, handing a map to Ishara on the way out. He glances nervously at the Tiefling and Githzerai, not sure what to make of these obvious foreigners.

You look at the map and realize that the cottage is less than a day's walk from Loudwater, and decide that, regardless of your feelings about this man, your need to impress the Guildmaster demands that you leave at once.

OOC: If there are no objections, we will proceed to the first encounter, which I should have a chance to post this afternoon or evening.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya looks Sullerming over. She tries to assess if he is merely a thoughtless, self-centered nobleman who wants his house cleaned out, or if there is something more sinister going on with his story. Insight check 1d20+10+1=21

OOC: I assume we are doing the +1 24 hour bonus to d20 rolls.

  •  Edeya
    • Female Githzerai Monk 3
    • Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
    • AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:34/34, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/8
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    • Powers
      • Centered Flurry of Blows
      • Crane's Wings
      • Dragon's Tail
      • Iron Mind (when hit, gain +2def until end of next turn)
      • Open the Gate of Battle
      • Twin Thunders
      • Whirling Mantis Step
      • Harmonious Discipline (gain 4 temp HP. When no temp HP remaining, gain a bonus +4 to dam on next melee attack).
      • Vicious Monk Unarmed Strike +1
      • Sylvan Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1
      • Amulet of Resolution +1

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Edeya's insights into the noble simply point to him being a jackass.

OOC: Yes, 24h bonus is in effect.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Mika looks around at the group. "Orcs are almost always followers of evil and they have already proven to act cruelly by mindlessly killing a butler. Feel free to stab all you want." she says a bit naively and finishes with a glance at Elinar.

OOC: I'm good to go.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"The man is an ass," Khemnos says, "but the Gruumsh-worshipers should provide an adequate challenge. I will not, however, be particularly careful of the china."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Well, I don't plan on stabbing china. It doesn't go squish. Hee hee hee."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: You're playing Elinar as a deliberate parody of the non-Mal portion of the Liberators, aren't you? ;)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
Carric nor his god care anything for the fat man's china, but for Ioun the orc scourge will be purged.

He is a slender fellow, and has been leaning on a sword almost as large as himself. His hood remains over his eyes, contemplating the path forward, and this new group he has found himself in.

It shall be done Carric states in an emotionless monotone.

OOC: ack didn't realize we were already starting!
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Didn't mean it that way, but why not? As a rogue, though, he'll probably never complain about the amount of damage he does. ;)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
After an uneventful hike through the hills outside of Loudwater, you are able to follow Lord Cullerming's map to his country cottage. Noticing nothing from the outside, you walk up the front stairs and into the courtyard. Two orcs with battleaxes stare back at you, along with a couple of red beetles which glow with bright light. A tower stands on the southwestern edge of the courtyard, and several cages line the north and south sides.

User posted image

Tower: The tower is 20 feet tall, with arrow slits 10 feet up the sides. Creatures within the tower have full concealment and cover against attacks from the outside.

Water Bucket: The water bucket in F8 can be knocked over as a minor action, creating difficult terrain in a burst 2 from that origin point (not including the tower squares).

--> Edeya - 34/34
Ishara - 34/34
Blue Orc - no damage
Green Orc - no damage
Khemnos - 45/45
Red Beetle - no damage
Orange Beetle - no damage
Mika - 40/40
Elinar - 42/42
Carric - 46/46

OOC: If I got any of your HP wrong due to new backgrounds, let me know.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya first looks around the courtyard and thinks she remembers something about these unusual beetles. She is also curious about the tower and the odd looking cages on the periphery so she eyes them closely. She thinks it seems an odd setting for a pampered noble's home, but then again she hasn't ever been in a pampered nobleman's home before. Maybe he keeps all his toys and luxuries inside.

Before moving forward she calls out to the orcs "You do not belong here. The rightful owner has asked us to remove you. Leave now or face the consequences." Then the monk gracefully moves forward, slipping behind the first beetle without the insect hardly noticing. Edeya delivers series of three quick kicks to Red and with her last kick, swipes her foot behind to slide Orange a bit closer to her allies.

Free: Nature check on enemies (1d20+5+1=15) Perception check on tower and cages (1d20+10+1=20)
Move: Move forward to K5 then to J4. Does not provoke opp attack due to Open the Gates of Battle
Standard: Open the Gates of Battle vs Red (1d20+9+1=26, 3d8+6=21) I made a mistake with the attack and damage rolls. I blame Gary and an outdated character sheet he gave me. Should really be Hits AC 27 for 20 damage to Red.
Free: On a hit to Red, do 4 damage to Orange and slide Orange to J5 with Centered Flurry of Blows.

  •  Edeya
    • Female Githzerai Monk 3
    • Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
    • AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:34/34, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges left:8/8
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    • Powers
      • Centered Flurry of Blows (On a hit, +4 dam or +4 dam and slide 1 sq to adj enemy)
      • Crane's Wings
      • Dragon's Tail
      • Iron Mind (when hit, gain +2def until end of next turn)
      • Open the Gate of Battle
      • Twin Thunders
      • Whirling Mantis Step
      • Harmonious Discipline (gain 4 temp HP. When no temp HP remaining, gain a bonus +4 to dam on next melee attack).
      • Vicious Monk Unarmed Strike +1
      • Sylvan Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1
      • Amulet of Resolution +1

User posted image
edited to fix the the attack and damage rolls.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
« Last edit by Emily on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:56 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Edeya races past red, her kicks causing it to bleed a fiery liquid substance. Orange also gets a foot to its head, pushing it toward Edeya's allies.

  •   For Edeya
      You know that orcs favor hills and mountains, places pocked by caverns easily turned into defensible lairs. Bloodthirsty marauders and cannibals, orcs venerate Gruumsh and thereby delight in slaughter and destruction. Orcs don't build settlements of their own, instead improving existing shelters with crude fortifications. They prefer to settle in natural caves or structures abandoned by other, more skillful races. Orcs can manage simple ironwork and stonework, but they are lazy and grasping, preferring to take by force the tools, weapons, and goods other folk make.

      Examining the beetles, you recognize them as fire beetles, and know that a fire beetle has two fiery glands that continue to glow after the beetle's death, and that these can be removed and used as torches.

      You notice a dead body in one of the cages on the southern end of the courtyard (square G7). It appears to have been slowly cut to pieces, and little is left whole at this point.


User posted image

Edeya - 34/34
-->Ishara - 34/34
Blue Orc - no damage
Green Orc - no damage
Khemnos - 45/45
Red Beetle - down 20, bloodied
Orange Beetle - down 4
Mika - 40/40
Elinar - 42/42
Carric - 46/46
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Looking over the situation, Ishara says, "My companion speaks the truth. You will surrender and leave, or you will die." She then says a silent prayer to her god, and brings down an invoked hammer of light on the beetles.

Standard Action: Cast Sun Hammer on K5, hitting Red Beetle and Orange Beetle.
Free Action: Nature check on beetles, Perception check on cages and tower.

Sun Hammer: (1d20+6+1=15, 1d20+6+1=16, 1d10+5=10)
Nature and Perception checks: (1d20+7+1=24, 1d20+7+1=14)

Sun Hammer hits Fortitude 15 on Red Beetle and Fortitude 16 on Orange Beetle for 12 Radiant Damage (rolled 10 plus 2 for Covenant of Wrath). Nature check is 24, Perception check is 14.

  •  Ishara of the Deva
    • Female Deva Invoker 3
    • Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 17
    • AC:17, Fort:16, Reflex:15, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:34/34, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges left: 9/9
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used.
    • Covenant of Wrath
    •  
    • Powers
      • Sun Strike
      • Divine Bolts
      • Thunder of Judgment
      • Sun Hammer
      • Channel Divinity: Armor of Wrath
      • Channel Divinity: Rebuke Undead
      • Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes
      • Divine Call
      • Angelic Echalon
      • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Utility, Special, Used/Not Available)

_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Dungeon Delves » Orc Stronghold

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software