DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » StoneStep Hill

StoneStep Hill

Moderators: Emily, Michael Doss.

Page: « < ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade turns around to watch the dispute and then chimes in. "Who is this Stone-Skinned Queen? What people is the the queen of?"
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
The centaur replies proudly, "The Stone-Skinned Queen, Her Glorious Magesty Cachlain the Third, is fomorian. She rules the domain of the Underdark of the Feywild."

He turns to Megan, his tone of antagonism matching hers "I am happy to part ways. There is no point to me staying here any longer. I will return to her Magesty and explain how YOU failed to bring her the prize she so desired."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Happy not to have been part of that awkward conversation, Hedoni riffles through some more damaged books and replies to Mal, in a voice only he can hear, "Perhaps it's best not to tip our hand to the Freeriders yet. I fully intend to blow the forge soon. That said, Sarshan knows only that we were the last people to touch it, and its destruction needs to come with him in it, or with him thinking someone else was directly involved."

As the centaur leaves, Hedoni turns to Megan and asks, "Why would the Stone-Skinned Queen want the Seed of Winter? Did he ever let you know that? That's an odd thing to need in the Underdark."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Megan answers "I don't know exactly why the queen wants it. I assumed she was just some rich collector of antiques, but who knows."

Then she calls out "Come one Freeriders. Lets get out of here."

Then to Mal she asks "You guys coming with us?"

OOC: Are you going to explore the temple further or leave with the Freeriders now?
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade looks to Mal for guidance and says. "Apart from looking for the Seed of Winter, Jalissa also wanted to explore these Iounian ruins. Wasn't it a long-term project of hers?"
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Without the Seed of Winter, we don't have much purpose here. Jalissa, maybe you can bring some of your order back with you to investigate the ruins more properly. Meanwhile, we need to try to stop Sarshan. We should go with the Freeriders."

To Hedoni, "It has been several days since we last saw him and we know he is making his attack soon. We may not see him again. It is better to make sure the forge cannot be used."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade nods in agreement with Mal, as he looks at his battered companions. "Hmmmm....we do look the worse for wear and it will be a perilous journey back. Travelling with the Freeriders would benefit both our groups."

Turning to Hedoni, "Hedoni, maybe your cat could take a quick look down the western steps to see if anything there merits investigating."

OOC: Ravenblade votes to leave, as Mal suggests, unless Hedoni's cat miraculously finds the seed of winter down the stairs. On a different note, someone should search the corpses. I believe the wizard could have something interesting, even if the other enemies all exploded/melted.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:22 pm. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Hedoni bends down and gives his cat a morsel of food, speaks to it and sends it down the stairs to investigate.

"Are the Freeriders off to stop Sarshan? I got the impression they were just going home. Either way, I'd rather they didn't know who we're working for, or not, in this case. We can rest and recover here while Jallisa takes inventory. If we still want to find the Seed, we need to either re-open that portal, or find out where it's cold this time of year."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Jalissa starts to pile the salvaged books on Daggoth's arms "Carry that for me will you?" Then to Ravenblade "Oh, yes I'd love to stay here and study this temple. I could sketch all the murals and catalog the damaged texts.." Then more to herself "Hmm, I wonder if I could write a treatise on the transformation from the pre-classical version of Ioun from the male to the female form based on the symbolism here..."

Hedoni's cat explores the west passage and reports back
  •   For Hedoni only
      "It is dark and dusty there. Some old and not so comfortable chairs, tables, beds and cabinets. And definitely no mice. Can we please go outside where I can find some mice, or at least some lizards?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Oh, for the love of Sehanine, lets get out of here before she has us trying to reassemble these blasted pages," Salazar mutters, none too quietly.

However, he is careful that only his allies hear his further comment. "Sarshan was going to pay us for info on the Seed. I for one would like to cash in before blowing up the foundry. Money is money, after all."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Hmmm.....that money could help us and the Elsir Vale against him." agrees Ravenblade, ever the pragmatist. "Jalissa, we'll take what we can with us and then journey back with the Freeriders. I'm sure you can begin your treatising on the way."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Hedoni sees his cat return, and bends down to listen to it. "Looks like living quarters, but nothing particularly interesting. I say we head out with the Freeriders for protection, keep our secrets secret, and do a little more research into where that portal went. We know it was in the world, and not the Shadowfell or Feywild. Someone's gotta know more."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Makes sense to me," Salazar replies to Hedoni.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Hmmm....it's settled then. We're heading out with the Freeriders. I wonder if I can recall where it's snowing and icy this time of year..." he trails off, pondering.

Nature roll to ascertain wintry geography this time of year or all year round. 1d20+12+1

OOC: IC is down again. Can you please roll for me Emily?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Ravenblade thinks hard about where you might find a cold wintery environment this time of year. Considering it is the beginning of July, there are very few places in this hemisphere that might be that cold. Perhaps the very top of some of the WyvernWatch Mountains? the middle of the Stonemarch range? or perhaps even the far north Dawnforge mountains?

However, from his considerable experience roaming the natural world, the ranger figures that it is more likely that the freezing conditions they spied through the portal were not created by natural forces.

You decide to leave the temple with the Freeriders. Jalissa seems a bit disappointed, but is reassured by the thought that she can always return later with a team of dedicated Iounian followers to catalogue and research the place properly.

You leave the temple through the blast hole in the roof and make your way back through the desert. Jalissa pulls Daggoth aside for a private conversation. You overhear her ask "stay in town for a while?" and "I worry about you."

  •   For Daggoth only
      So, Daggoth I was wondering, are you going to stay in town for a while or do you need to rush out with the Liberators again?”

      She seems a bit embarassed as she continues“It’d be nice if you were here more. I mean. I worry about you gallivanting around, fighting all those nasty beasts and ghosts. I see how you get beat up and cut and bruised constantly. Have you thought about how long you are going to keep going on these dangerous adventures?"

Megan also begins a conversation with Mal. You hear snatches of "sketchy job", and "nearly killed for nothing."

  •   For Mal only
      You know I can’t help but feel frustrated with this last adventure. We needed the money, so we took what seems like a pretty lucrative, albeit sketchy, job. And what happens? We wasted our time tagging along with this centaur who has a carrot stuck up his butt, went around blowing up ancient holy temples, and finally got ourselves nearly killed for nothing. Or rather something that somebody else already snatched. What do you think?”
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627


  •  For Megan only:
    • "You are telling me! After we got back from rescuing the dwarf from jail...long story...we went trying to find the guy that was sending thugs after us. Modra was his name...well, we tracked him to a Pelor teahouse and found him in some caverns underneath. Well, just as he caught up to him, he jumps in a portal!

      Of course, he was so close we had to follow...and we end up in the Shadowfell! Turns out the key was for a portal to Shadowfell. So, then...there is this staging area for an army just down the mountain and we pretend we are mercenaries hired on (which at least wasn't a huge lie, right?). We track Modra...that was the guy trying to get us earlier...to this huge forge. In the fight, he releases this gigantic, experimentally made boar! So, we stop him and question him, find out that the leader of this area...Sarshan is his name...is building a force to take over the Elsir Vale. So, then, over my protestations, the dwarf DUNKS Modra into a river of LAVA! He murdered him! In cold blood!

      So, anyways, we decide to stop this Sarshan, but we weren't fighting well. I probably deserve a lot of the blame because I was (and am) distraught over what the dwarf did (and the fact the others didn't mind it...he was our prisoner, we didn't need to kill him!). So, anyways, we gain Sarshan's trust by fixing his forge (Modra had set it to blow) and then transporting weapons in the Shadowfell. Finally, he gives us this mission to find the Seed of Winter and I accept immediately because I want to get out of there and warn Overlook. So, then...we come out of a portal in a building in Overlook (they must have them everywhere!). And the most I could get the other Liberators to do was to write this in a letter we sent to you. Of course, you probably never got that because you have been out here. Man, I am glad to get that off of my chest. Oh, and I want no part of the tainted gold of Sarshan's. If you don't mind taking it, I would like to pay the Freeriders my share of the gold for helping to keep us alive."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade's keen hearing (1d20+12+1=24) picks up a few bits and pieces of what Mal is telling Megan. Things like "He murdered him!" and "the most I could get the Liberators to do was write a letter" are particulary easy to hear, given Mal's agitated voice. Ravenblade smiles to himself, not letting on that he can hear, also feeling glad for Mal that he is finally able to find some kinship with his worldview. The ranger wonders if the Tiefling may be right in one thing. Should they really be so secretive about Sarshan's activities? Should the Liberatores care if he has spies in Overlook? Isn't it more important to warn and fortify the Elsir Vale against the invasion? Caught up in his thoughts, the dwarf is about to speak out in agreement with Mal, but then realizes he probably wasn't meant to overhear his conversation.

OOC: That was an entertaining speech to read Josh. I guess everyone except Mal is more or less a cutthroat mercenary.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:27 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Ummm....what are you doing reading something "For Megan only"?
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Megan replies. You overhear phrases like "Thank the goodness of Pelor my group listens to me," and "only taking jobs that do some good," and "The Vale folk must be warned and protected."

  •   For Mal only
      Megan smiles with understanding "Phew, sounds like you guys have been busy. And to hear you tell it, your buddies are a bunch of heartless thugs and they don't really take your orders. Thank the goodness of Pelor my group listens to me."

      At least when you save a town from a blood thirsty vampire, you get the satisfaction of doing something to help people. This time we got neither money nor glory or even thanks. I’m telling you from here on, the Freeriders are only taking jobs that do some good, regardless of the pay. Then at least I can feel like we are accomplishing something.”

      Then she frows considering what Mal told her about what they found in the Shadowfell "I don't like this information about Sarshan. It sounds like this guy and his operation are real dangers to Elsir Vale, maybe even the whole world. But I don't think it is all bad to go undercover and get Sarshan in your confidence as long as you eventually do the right thing. You probably got alot of useful information from him, but I wonder what he wanted the Seed of Winter for? Thats a weird coincidence. I wonder if that Queen who hired us is a friend of foe of Sarshans?"

      Her face lights up with an idea "I've got it! How to make some money and do some good. I'm going to talk to the Overlook council and get them to hire the Freeriders to investigate Sarshan and his plans further. The Vale folk must be warned and protected. Don't worry. We'll do our best to find out what Sarshan is planning and try to figure out who he is working for. If we're lucky, we can make a bit of profit too."

      Then she asks "So what are you guys going to do? Continue to play along with Sarshan? Maybe if you keep working as weapon transporter you can learn some good information?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Josh wrote
OOC: Ummm....what are you doing reading something "For Megan only"?


Tsk, Tsk Ravenblade. I wag my finger at you. Eavesdropper!
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Why is that people don't realize how whispering or talking in hushed tones is actually louder than normal conversation and catches other's attention. It always makes it harder to ignore people, Ravenblade thinks to himself, as he still can't but help overhear what the two leaders are discussing. Maybe he shouldn't have trained his senses so much. Ah well.

OOC: Ravenblade suddenly jerks his head towards the sky as he hears the rapid movement of an ephemeral finger wagging back and forth. Yes, sometimes it really would be easier to have duller senses.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
  •   For Ravenblade only
      As you pass through the desert, your busybody keen senses alert you to the fact that your group is being followed. You occasionally catch sight of some humanoid figures trailing you from a ways back, but they keep their distance for now.


OOC: I want Daggoth and Mal to finish their private conversations before we move on and get back to Brindol.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
While trekking up a particularly large dune, Ravenblade slows slightly so that he is level with Salazar and Hedoni. In a calm voice he say. "We are being followed. They are keeping a safe distance for now, but we should be wary when we set up camp for the night." The ranger then moves over to Sylen and lets her know the same thing. He then briefly considers letting the leaders of both groups know, but sees that they are still focusing intently upon each other.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"As long as we can get a good night's rest before whatever trouble it is finds us, I don't care," Salazar says.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Sylen takes Ravenblade's the information and decides to keep a close watch for any possible followers. He keeps his elf eyes sharp through the next day and tells Ravenblade "I think our followers are some of those shifters that we ran across last week. Megan and Ghena managed to negotiate our way through them, but it seems they still want something."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
« Last edit by Emily on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:09 pm. »

Page: « < ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » StoneStep Hill

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software