DeadGoblins.com » Forgotten Realms Campaign » Barrow of the Ogre King (Loudwater: adventure 1)

Barrow of the Ogre King (Loudwater: adventure 1)

Moderators: Ari, Michael Doss.

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: I disagree. As I read it, as long as the 3x3 square is adjacent to you, your burst 3 can be wherever you want.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
garyh wrote
OOC: I disagree. As I read it, as long as the 3x3 square is adjacent to you, your burst 3 can be wherever you want.


Is it "close burst" or just "burst"?

EDIT: Burning Spray is a blast 3 attack, as is Dragon Breath. Page 272 of PHB only pictures the two blast directions I described, but you're right that the text only requires the blast to be adjacent to the origin square (square where the caster is). Always thought only those two are possible, since they didn't depict an "off-center" blast.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: Meant Close Blast... d'oh! Burst is like Scorching Burst or Blazing Starfall. Close blast is like dragonborn breath, and yes, I think a close blast can be wherever you want so long as the PC is adjacent to the blast.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: That was my read of it as well. As long as the PC is adjacent to one of the outer squares of the blast area it is kosher.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Member
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
Location: San Diego
Jonathan Berg wrote
OOC: That was my read of it as well. As long as the PC is adjacent to one of the outer squares of the blast area it is kosher.

OOC: Speaking of kosher, the Ralphs near me is now selling precooked whole kosher chickens...YUM!!!!!
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
OOC: I also agree with the peanut gallery; I seem to understand the rules just like you guys surmised. Drak'or's move is indeed given my D&D Hecture (the Kosher assurance stamp). I am too tired from a really long week, will post in the morning. Sorry for slacking this week, too many crazy things to deal with; but I am looking forward to much more D&D in the near future.
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alysandra allows herself a small smile, sensing that Sune has favored the people of Loudwater this day. A frown of concern replaces the smile as she things about the the brave dwarf who was felled by the goblins. Hopefully, his soul is not yet on it's way and she will be able to do something for him. That is, as soon as the swordmage and halfling take care of that hexer.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Drak'or is not fooled by the approaching goblin, he unleashes a slew of attacks. First he produces liquid fire, spraying the goblin warrior with deadly flames, then follows by breathing lightening to further crisp his enemy.

User posted image


InitiativeStatus:

==>Ander: 31/31
goblin warrior down 26, marked by Alys, bloodied
Crag: 0/30, dying 1
goblin warrior dead
Zeth: 19/33
goblin hexer down 19, bloodied.
Alys 18/31
Townsfolk (10 escaped)
Goblin 1: dead
Goblin 2: dead
Goblin 3: dead
Goblin 4: dead
Goblin 6: dead
Goblin 7: dead
Goblin 8: dead
Goblin 9: dead
Goblin 10: dead
Goblin 11: dead
Goblin 12: dead

Drak'or: 14/24.
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Silently, Ander again attempts to stab the hexer, this time with better luck.

Standard Action: Use Deft Strike (dagger) on Goblin Hexer.

Deft Strike: (1d20+8+1=22, 1d4+4=5, 2d6=4)

Deft Strike hits AC 24 (22+2 for CA) for 9 damage against Goblin Hexer.

  •  Ander Riverwalk
    • Male Halfling Rogue 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC:16, Fort:11, Reflex:16, Will:14 - Speed:6
    • HP:24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left: 7/7
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used.
    •  
    • Features and Powers

      • Race and Class features
      • Artful Dodger and Nimble Reaction (+4 and +2 respectively to AC against opp. attacks, +6 total)
      • Bold (+5 to saving throws against fear)
      • First Strike (Combat Advantage against creatures yet to act)
      • Sneak Attack (2d6 extra damage with Combat Advantage, once per round)

      • Powers
      • Deft Strike
      • Sly Flourish
      • Positioning Strike
      • Second Chance
      • Blinding Barrage
      • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Utility, Special, Used/Not Available)

_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Zetheryin's sword flashes again, this time hitting the hexer.

Sword Burst vs. Hexer sword burst vs hexer (1d20+5+2+1=19, 1d6+4=7) Hits REF 19 for 7 damage

If this kills the hexer, moving to N7.

OOC: Posting now since I will be gone for the evening and I don't think my action will affect Red or Crag.

  •   Zetheryin
    •  Male Githyanki Swordmage 1
    •  Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 9
    •  AC:19, Fort:14, Reflex:14, Will:14 - Speed:6
    •  HP:19/33, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:12/12
    •  Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Aegis of Shielding
    •  Lightning Lure
    •  Sword Burst
    •  Lightning Clash
    •  Telekinetic Leap
    •  Dance of the Sword
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Conclusively, the combined attacks of the rogue and the swordmage vanquish the hexer; having been completely demoralized, the hexer is felled too easily.

Next, the red goblin attempts to retaliate against the paladin standing before him; it thrusts a spear with its full force, but misses lacking the agility to aim at all.

Meanwhile, the shaman lay dying with his fate yet to be decided.


User posted image


InitiativeStatus:
Ander: 31/
goblin warrior down 26, marked by Alys, bloodied
Crag: 0/30, dying 1
goblin warrior dead
Zeth: 19/33
goblin hexer dead.
==> Alys 18/31
Townsfolk (10 escaped)
Goblin 1: dead
Goblin 2: dead
Goblin 3: dead
Goblin 4: dead
Goblin 6: dead
Goblin 7: dead
Goblin 8: dead
Goblin 9: dead
Goblin 10: dead
Goblin 11: dead
Goblin 12: dead
Drak'or: 14/24.

Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Make your peace and die." says Alysandra solemnly as an aura of radiance emanates around hear. As the brilliance draws the goblins eyes and captures it's full attention, she uses the moment the strike a heavy blow. She then takes a moment to breathe and stand her guard.

Majestic halo against red goblin. (1d20+8+1=21, 3d8+5=23)

OOC: Divine challenge is still active. Majestic halo hits 21 vs AC for 23 damage (half damage on a miss for 11 damage). Until the end of the encounter, any enemies starting their turn adjacent to Alysandra are subject to divine sanction until the end of their next turn. Second wind heals for 7 hp up to 25 and gives +2 to all defenses.

  •  Alysandra Novakri
    • Female Kalashtar Paladin of Sune, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 20
    • AC: 20, Fort: 11, Reflex: 13, Will: 16, Speed: 5, Initiative: -1
    • HP: 31, Bloodied: 15, Surge Value: 7, Surges: 10
    • saves vs. dazed/dominated at start of turn, telepathy 5 (two-way)
    • Enfeebling Strike hit causes -2 to targeted defense
    • can use Virtuous Strike as melee basic attack
    •    
    • Powers
    • Divine Challenge
    • Enfeebling Strike
    • Virtuous Strike
    • Bastion of Mental Clarity
    • Divine Mettle
    • Valorous Smite
    • Majestic Halo
    • Virtue's Touch 3/3
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:08 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
The battle over, Zetheryin attends to the bodies of the two slain townfolks, commending their souls into Torm's watching. "May you find peace with the god of honor." He then tends to the unconscious shaman, injured in the line of duty, something his god would greatly approve of.

OOC: Assuming that last blow killed Red. Zeth will also take 2 surges to get back to full HP, with 10/12 surges left.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Member
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
Location: San Diego
Though his head was still throbbing with the impact of the flying rock just minutes ago, Dra'Kor was filled with satisfaction at seeing the goblin warrior buckle under his twin attacks. He then glanced toward what remained of the town wall in time to see the hexer felled by both the swordmage and the halfling. Before he could convey his dissatisfaction, however, the paladin attacked with some holy power which all but decimated the goblin warrior. Dra'Kor did not even linger to see if the goblin fell, but he knew this fight was finished. Turning his back to the destruction around him, the fallen dwarf, and the brave yet pestering warriors that fought alongside him, Dra'Kor resumed his intended quest.

"Now, about that blasted drink..."

Move to J4. Open door.

  •   < Dra'Kor
    •  Male Dragonborn Cosmic Sorcerer: 1
    •  Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    •  AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:11, Will:16 - Speed:6
    •  HP:14/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:7, Surges left:7/7
    •  Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Blazing Starfall
    •  Burning Spray
    •  Dragon Breath
    •  Tearing Claws
    •  Cosmos Call
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Having vanquished the last foe, Alysandra speeds over to the fallen dwarf, at the same time the swordgmage does, and helps him recover with her healing knowledge and a little divine intervention. "My name is Alysandra Novakri. Thank you for your valorous aid this day." she says to the swordmage as they both help the dwarf.

As soon as she is certain that he's not on the brink of death anymore, she circles to all fallen goblins and makes sure none yet live, ending near the corpse of the girl who ran instead of hid under the wagons as she had commanded. With a sigh, she lifts the body and carries it to the center of the square, waiting until some family member claims her as her own.

Healing roll. (1d20+9+1=15)

Death saving throw for Crag. (1d20+4+2+1=20)

OOC: Healing roll was a DC15 heal check to add +2 to the next save throw (p185 of PHB). Then used divine mettle (which became available again at the end of the encounter) to grant an immediate saving throw with WIS mod bonus (+4) in addition. +1 more for 24 hour bonus. Rolled 20 on death saving throw for Crag, which means he is not dying anymore and immediatedly heals for one healing surge.

BTW, someone should search all the dead goblins for spoils and clues. It's not really the thing on Alysandra's mind right now though.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Zeth, also, is not the type to search bodies when there are innocents around who have been killed.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale

Determined to rid the innocent from harms way, the paladin summons the will of her god to smite the last goblin. With the last enemy vanquished, the frenzy of battle shifts suddenly to the silence of death. The bodies of approximately 5 townsfolk and the 15 goblins lay dead among and beneath the rubble of the town wall.

As the bloodied and beaten Drak'or stammers and stumbles his way toward what he thinks is the pub, he turns back in response to the paladin's praise and thanks. Something unconsciously compels him stay with the new-found group; they both saved his life and will likely do so again if another encounter should occur.

It would seem prudent to wait for an official response from a representative of the town before leaving such a notable incident.

OOC:Before Drak'or curls up into a bottle due to an apparent drinking problem, he may want to mend his wounds or even search for precious plunder from his felled foes.

Challenge XP: 400
Encounter XP: 650
Group total XP:1050
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Zetheryin, finished with his task of caring for the fallen townspeople, looks to the wall to see if the remaining portion is stable. Seeing nothing, he begins to search the goblins for a sign of who they are, or why they might have attacked the town.

Perception and Dungeoneering on the wall. perception, dungeoneering (1d20-1=4, 1d20-1=2)

OOC: Should be 5 and 3, respectively, due to 24h bonus, but 2 failed checks either way.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Ander, still unsure who's who, takes a moment to catch his breath and looks over the area. Almost out of instinct, he investigates the dead bodies, looking for anything interesting.

Perception check: (1d20+5=13)
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Like a second nature to the rogue, Ander subtly makes his way from body to body searching for anything of value. Between the blood and hewn flesh the rogue finds nothing except for a tattered scroll on the hexer. It is in a language that he cannot recognize, but it is likely to be one that the hexer can.

Now that several minutes have passed since the end of the battle, few of the townsfolk have returned in shock and awe of gruesome scene that lay before them. There is still no sign of an official to handle the situation, but someone must be on their way...?
« Last edit by Ari on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:49 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Zetheryin takes a moment to introduce himself to his new friends. At least he thinks they are friends. They tried to kill the things that tried to kill him, so that must mean friends, right? "Thank you all for coming to the aid of the innocent townspeople. I only wish we could have acted sooner to have saved them all. I am Zetheryin; my blade is in service to Torm, god of duty and honor."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Just after the Swordmage Zetheryin mourns the dead and praises the survivors, the rogue begins to examin the scroll from the hexer. Zetheryin can't help but notice and goes to look for himself; he too cannot understand the language nor identify it. Once Zeth is done, Ander takes the scroll, making it disappear into a hidden location within his cuff.
« Last edit by Ari on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:13 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Well met Zetheryin, and well fought! May Sune grace your life in thanks for your deeds today." says Alysandra with a smile. Strange that, covered in blood, hair somewhat disheveled after the battle, and carrying a dead child's corpse, her smile still somehow manages to convey a certain seductiveness.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Member
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
Location: San Diego
With his hand on the door of the tavern, Dra'Kor was overcome with an uncomfortable need to show appreciation to the ones who fought alongside him. Only rarely in his life had anyone ever lifted a finger to help him in any way. And now, a lifetime of living his life on his own terms without expecting or asking for anyone else's assistance was clashing with the sudden realization that he very well could have died without the assistance of the other warriors.

Dra'Kor let go of the door to the tavern, realizing begrudgingly that he'll be staying in this town for likely longer than he had wanted to. He turned towards the group of adventurers who had already begun tending to the fallen dwarf and introducing themselves. He approached them. This was not an easy task for him, and the slow pace of his footsteps echoed his trepidations.

"Oy, travelers, my name is Dra'Kor. I wanted to thank you for your aide in defeating these goblins. Vile, blasted creatures. I would have done more to them myself were I not struck at the beginning of the battle. Do any of you have any idea what brought them here?"

Move to whatever cell is adjacent to where Zeth and Alys are tending to Crag

OOC: Ari, quit misspelling my name you dickhead!!! :P

  •   < Dra'Kor
    •  Male Dragonborn Cosmic Sorcerer: 1
    •  Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    •  AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:11, Will:16 - Speed:6
    •  HP:14/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:7, Surges left:7/7
    •  Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    •  Powers
    •  Blazing Starfall
    •  Burning Spray
    •  Dragon Breath
    •  Tearing Claws
    •  Cosmos Call
« Last edit by Big Red on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Her smile still on her face, but with a curious lifting of her eyebrow at the dragonborn's unease, the paladin says "Many thanks to you as well, Dra'Kor. I sensed the goodness in your heart right at the start of this skirmish and so relieved you of the blindness cast over you by that goblin spellcaster. You repaid the deed in full, helping us today."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 5 >

DeadGoblins.com » Forgotten Realms Campaign » Barrow of the Ogre King (Loudwater: adventure 1)

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software