DeadGoblins.com » Dungeon Delves » The Broken Tower

The Broken Tower

Moderators: Gary, Jonathan Berg, Josh, Michael Doss, nmathew, Viktor.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Once more, the sound of a gong summons member of the Guild to gather for a selection announcement. Along with everyone else, you strap on all your gear and head over to the central courtyard, looking up. It doesn't take long for the guildmaster to step out onto the balcony overlooking the courtyard. He is an ancient and formidable looking Fey, conveying with a mere glance the deadly powers at his beckon. None of you know his name, let alone what adventures he must have had prior to becoming the guildmaster. Those of you who have been in Loudwater for more than a few days know that the townspeople both respect and fear him.

A large dragonborn whispers to his friends, "I hope to be picked again. Surely our battle against the dragon merits it!"

"The mayor of the logging village of Stillriver, a day north into the Dire Wood, has asked a favor of this guild." the guildmaster announces with a soft voice that is strangely loud enough to be heard by everyone in the courtyard. "I choose..."

User posted image

Finally! Along with the five other named soon-to-be heroes and heroines, you make your way out of the courtyard and on to the guildmaster's study. The aforementioned dragonborn sniffs, and says to himself "Maybe next time..." as he files out with the other unselected. You barely register the shoulder pushes and disgruntled noises from all the other guild members; such is your anticipation to at last begin leaving your mark on the world.

After the six of you have entered the Guildmaster's study, the door closes behind you of its own accord. You look around the spartan room in slight confusion. Somehow you imagined there would be a lot more books, arcane instruments, and bubbling fluids in this study. You also imagined the guildmaster would be sitting in his obviously empty desk chair. Lastly, your gaze falls upon your would-be companions in the as yet unknown endeavor. You feel that this would be the ideal moment to introduce yourself.

Arjhan - Fighter (Ari)
Korg - Rogue (Marek)
Ishara - Invoker (Mike)
Gerren - Shaman (Jonathan)
Zrith - Sorcerer (Viktor)
Moroth Algernon - Cleric (Adam)

OOC: Thanks to Viktor, whom most of this post is recycled from. ;) Still, being only the second delve, and half the PC's being new, I felt it was appropriate. Fell free to RP your characters meeting, and the Guildmaster will be along in a bit to give you your assignment!
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
The dark, cloaked figure that is Zrith melds into the shadows of a corner. The more keen of sight are able to notice that the figure's hands are very dark skinned. Not much else is visible for the deep hooded cloak covers everything. The cloak itself is a greyish-blue color with several designs depicting whorls, spirals, and waves. It almost seem as if the symbols undulate from time to time, but the color is somewhat faded, almost deathly looking.

After a moment a seductive sounding male voice says, "I am Zrith. Obviously. It seems we will be venturing forth together. As long as none of you get in my way, I am certain we will be successful. Know this though. I believe that the end always justifies the means and will do whatever it takes to reach a goal once I have set my mind to doing so. I say this not as threat, but as fair warning."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Following the Sorcerer, the tall, thin, indigo-hued woman steps forward. "I am Ishara of the Deva. Some of you I've fought alongside, others of you are new to me. I wish nothing but to serve my god and fight against the forces of Vecna, or any others who will try to stop us in our quest."

Oblivious to the odd stares of those around her, Ishara steps back, silent once more.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Another tall Deva, though male, steps into the room. "We are Gerren." As the others wonder who "we" refers to, a spirit bear springs into being with the group, growling in greeting, then returning to the Deva's side, watching his back, and vice versa.
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
Korg studies his new compatriots while leaning against the back wall.

"Some old and some new. Greetings again Arjhan and Ishara, glad you two haven't gotten yourselves kill in the meantime."

Looking at the new crew:
"I am Korg, watch my back, and I'll watch yours. Keep your mits off my treasure, and we'll get along just fine."
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Commanding the presence natural to a Dragonborn , a staggering Battlerager anxiously steps forth with a mighty fist and piercing gaze.

"I am Arjhan. It is my honor to prove my worth once again. I salute my victorious comrades, and welcome those with whom I shall soon be testing metal. Let us again defeat our enemies swiftly and mercilessly; let their blood run red down the veins of hell."
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 48
Location: Someplace warm, wet, and unsuitable for dry good storage
Moroth battles the voices in his head to concentrate on the words of his new compatriots. Just as his blood rage begins to overtake him, the cool hand of Death calms him with an invisible pat on the shoulder. He has never been good with meeting new companions.

Moroth speaks slowly and deliberately to limit the effect of his toothy lisp

It is an honor to make my ultimate journey in your presence. I feel one step closer to the comforting embrace of death already. Please know that until my ultimate prize is won, I will sacrifice all to protect the lives of those who fight along side of me. If you wish your life protected...
_______________
Dungeon Delves- Moroth Algernon
« Last edit by Adam V on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Without a sound, the large oval mirror standing in one corner shimmers with black and green swirling smoke. "With skill, cooperation, and the merest dash of luck, none of you shall embrace death on this mission," says the Guildmaster through the looking glass.

Those of you who have already served the guild recognize the intense gaze and the power behind it.

"The mayor of Stillriver barely reached Loudwater yesterday," the Guildmaster continues. "He made the now-perilous journey to request the Guiild's aid in dislodging assorted goblinoids who have taken up residence in a formerly abandoned tower along the road from Stillwater to the Western Road that connects Loudwater and Zelbross. It is my calculation that the six of you are sufficient to deal with this threat. Do not prove me wrong."

Giving you all a hard look, he concludes, with a meaningful gaze at Arjhan, Ishara, and Korg, "I will see to it that you are adequately rewarded for your efforts should you succeed."

OOC: If there are no objections, I will move forward to the lot of you reaching the tower exterior in a couple hours and start the first encounter. Feel free to discuss the mission in the meantime. Perhaps deciding on a standard marching / room entering arrangement would be a good idea.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"That was to the point. I may like this Guildmaster yet. Let us be off. I will take up a rear position."

OOC: Starting right away sounds good to me. Zrith will be in the back and avoid melee combat. I suggest that Ajhan and Moroth take the front, followed by Korg and Gerren, and lastly the squishies Ishara and Zrith.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
OOC: I agree with that. Ishara's best second to last here. Let's go!
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 48
Location: Someplace warm, wet, and unsuitable for dry good storage
OCC: Works for me. I'm ready to hurt things and subsiquently be hurt...
_______________
Dungeon Delves- Moroth Algernon
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
The group hears the soft, sibilant voice of Zrith intone clearly. "A storm is coming..."

  •  Zrith
    • Male Drow Storm Sorcerer, Level 2
    • Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 17, Fort: 11, Reflex: 14, Will: 18, Speed: 6, Initiative: +4
    • HP: 28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges: 6, Initiative: 4
    • +5 thunder/lightning resistance, pierce thunder/lightning
    •  
    • Powers
    • Lightning Strike
    • Storm Walk
    • Cloud of Darkness
    • Darkfire
    • Spatial Trip
    • Whirlwind
    • Howling Storm
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:40 pm. »
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 48
Location: Someplace warm, wet, and unsuitable for dry good storage
Let loose your power unseen foes! You are no match for the fearless and mighty!
  •  Moroth Algernon
    • Male Longtooth Shifter Battle Cleric 2
    • AC:17, Fort:15, Reflex:11, Will:15 - Speed:5
    • HP:31/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:9/9
    •  Powers
      • Lance of Faith
      • Priest's Shield
      • Longtooth Shifting
      • Divine Fortune
      • Turn Undead
      • Healing Word
      • Healing Strike
      • Avenging Flame
  • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily)
_______________
Dungeon Delves- Moroth Algernon
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
OOC: That order sounds good to me, I was just wondering what korg and Gerren want? I am ready to begin straight away; let's get to the killing :).
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
OOC: Jonathan and I were looking at Adam's character, what is his lvl 2 utility power?
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
After an uneventful journey, you arrive at the base of the tower the mayor of Stillriver described. Thick wooden doors face south, and muffle any sound that may be beyond them.

Arjhan kicks in the doors, and what the Guild members see gives them pause. Well over a dozen goblins fill the single large room that is the first floor of the tower. Some goblins loudly argue while standing around a table covered in playing cards, while another dips its mug into a boiling cauldron. Toward the rear of the room, a block from the sagging ceiling has smashed down onto the floor. A hobgoblin stands near a gong. A set of stairs on the eastern wall goes up to the next floor. Upon seeing the door open, the hobgoblin shouts something that sounds like an order in what must be the goblin tongue. He follows the command with a boast in Common.

"Run now if you value your pitiful lives! Big Grigbad and his boys'll carve you to pieces!"

The hobgoblin wears scale armor, and a heavy shield and a flail are both strapped to his back. The goblins are all clad in crude leather armor, and have short swords at their hips.

User posted image

User posted image

OOC: This seems like a good situation to remind you that your enemies provide cover for each other against your ranged attacks.

This fight took jsut a bit longer to set up than I expected. I had a hard time figuring out how I was going to track this many enemies. :twisted:

Discussing tactics in the Delve #2 Planning thread might be a good idea. ;)


Initiative: Status
==>Moroth: 31/31
Zrith: 28/28
Ishara: 30/30
Korg: 31/31
Goblin 1: Unharmed
Goblin 2: Unharmed
Goblin 3: Unharmed
Goblin 4: Unharmed
Goblin 5: Unharmed
Goblin 6: Unharmed
Goblin 7: Unharmed
Goblin 8: Unharmed
Goblin 9: Unharmed
Goblin 10: Unharmed
Goblin 11: Unharmed
Goblin 12: Unharmed
Goblin 13: Unharmed
Goblin 14: Unharmed
Goblin 15: Unharmed
Goblin 16: Unharmed
Arjhan: 37/37
Big Grigbad: Unharmed
Gerren: 31/31
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: I didn't mention it yet, but I am using the "+1 to all d20 rolls if you take your turn within 24 hours of it coming up" rule. So don't forget that!
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 48
Location: Someplace warm, wet, and unsuitable for dry good storage
Ari wrote
OOC: Jonathan and I were looking at Adam's character, what is his lvl 2 utility power?
OCC: Cure Light Wounds. I missed it in my stat box. I'll update.
_______________
Dungeon Delves- Moroth Algernon
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 48
Location: Someplace warm, wet, and unsuitable for dry good storage
Moroth calls upon the Raven Queen to guide himself and his fellow adventurers as they dispatch these goblinoid creatures to Her realm. ( OCC: At Will Power, Priests Shield Arjhan is granted the additional power bonus) At the same time, he takes a mighty swing of his mace toward Goblin #16's soft, green, sqishy head. Melee Attack w/ Holy Healer's Mace: 1d20+8 standard weapon attack bonus -2 cover from wall Damage: 1d8+6 basic melee attack +4 to damage for Priest's Shield (1d20+6=24, 1d8+10=14, 1d20+6=25, 1d8+10=13) OCC: Sorry, first time using the dice roller, so I rolled twice. If you want you can take the lower of each roll, or just the first set. Both the attack rolls and damage rolls were only 1 off from each other.
  •  Moroth Algernon
    • Male Longtooth Shifter Battle Cleric 2
    • AC:17, Fort:15, Reflex:11, Will:15 - Speed:5
    • HP:31/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:9/9
    •  Powers
      • Lance of Faith
      • Priest's Shield
      • Longtooth Shifting
      • Divine Fortune
      • Turn Undead
      • Healing Word
      • Healing Strike
      • Avenging Flame
      • Cure Light Wounds
    _______________
    Dungeon Delves- Moroth Algernon
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Zrith says in a clear, melodic voice. ”How foolish of you to be sitting around a table playing cards while we simply walked in here so easily. You are in our way and must therefore die.” The sorcerer twists his dagger in the air and a spiral of wind begins to form over the table. Cards, gold, and everything else lying around slowly begin to rise into the air and spin around. Then, with rapidly increasing speed and intensity, a veritable whirlwind buffets the four goblins around the table fiercely, threatening to choke off their lives.

Whirlwind, burst 1, centered on D6. Attacking 7, 11, 12, and 13. Versus FORTITUDE. (1d20+8+1=24, 1d20+8+1=26, 1d20+8+1=24, 1d20+8+1=10)

Whirlwind damage. (1d10+9=16)

OOC: Whirlwind targets FORTITUDE. 24 vs goblin 7, 26 vs goblin 11, 24 vs goblin 12, and 10 vs goblin 13 (natural miss). Damage to each goblin that is hit is 16.

  •  Zrith
    • Male Drow Storm Sorcerer, Level 2
    • Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 17, Fort: 11, Reflex: 14, Will: 18, Speed: 6, Initiative: +4
    • HP: 28, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges: 6
    • +5 thunder/lightning resistance, pierce thunder/lightning
    •  
    • Powers
    • Lightning Strike
    • Storm Walk
    • Cloud of Darkness
    • Darkfire
    • Spatial Trip
    • Whirlwind
    • Howling Storm
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:03 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Moroth's mace crushes the skull of the nearest goblin, sending him into the embrace of his mistress.

Next, Zrith's storm buffets three of the goblin's senseless, and they slump to the floor, dead.

User posted image

OOC: I'm not sure what numbers you put into the dice roller, Adam, as your Priest's Shield attack is 1d20+8 (+another 1 for 24H bonus) to hit, and 1d8+5 damage. In any case, the raw numbers you rolled with the correct bonuses are enough to kill 16, so I'm going with it. :)

Initiative: Status
Moroth: 31/31, +1 AC till end of next turn.
Zrith: 28/28
==>Ishara: 30/30
Korg: 31/31
Goblin 1: Unharmed
Goblin 2: Unharmed
Goblin 3: Unharmed
Goblin 4: Unharmed
Goblin 5: Unharmed
Goblin 6: Unharmed
Goblin 7: DEAD
Goblin 8: Unharmed
Goblin 9: Unharmed
Goblin 10: Unharmed
Goblin 11: DEAD
Goblin 12: DEAD
Goblin 13: Unharmed
Goblin 14: Unharmed
Goblin 15: Unharmed
Goblin 16: DEAD
Arjhan: 37/37+1 AC till end of Moroth's next turn.
Big Grigbad: Unharmed
Gerren: 31/31
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 48
Location: Someplace warm, wet, and unsuitable for dry good storage
garyh wrote


OOC: I'm not sure what numbers you put into the dice roller, Adam, as your Priest's Shield attack is 1d20+8 (+another 1 for 24H bonus) to hit, and 1d8+5 damage. In any case, the raw numbers you rolled with the correct bonuses are enough to kill 16, so I'm going with it. :)
OOC: Per my character sheet, the Holy Healer's Mace basic melee attack is 1d8+6, I added the additional +4 for my strength modifier based on using Priest's Shield. let me know if that's already calculated in the base +6. As far as the hit roll, I subtracted 2 for the wall partially shielding #16 and forgot to add the +1 for 24 hours.
_______________
Dungeon Delves- Moroth Algernon
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: The power cards at the end of your character sheet include your ability (Str in your case), level, and item bonuses, so you don't need to add them on to the basic melee attack. The basic melee attack info is only used for a basic melee attack, and is not factored as part of your powers.

With Priest's Shield as the example, the power card reads:

Holy Healer's Mace +1: +8 attack, 1d8+5 damage

The +8 to attack includes: +4 from Str, +2 for mace profiiciency, +1 for being second level, and +1 for the magic bonus.

The 1d8+5 for damage includes: 1d8 for the base damage of a mace, +4 from Str, and +1 for the magic bonus.

So when you roll to hit, you add +8 plus any other modifiers (like cover), and you roll the 1d8+5 for damage with any situational modifiers (like a buff from a friend or something). Now that you've explained what you did, I've seen the same double-counting mistake a bunch on EN World. :)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Seeing the easy time her comrades are having with the untrained goblins, Ishara blasts two that she can see with divine bolts of lightning.

Standard Action: Attack Goblin 13 and Goblin 8 with Divine Bolts.


Divine Bolts attack: (1d20+5+1=26, 1d20+5+1=13, 1d6+4=6)

Divine Bolts hits Reflex 26 (CRIT) on Goblin 13 for 10 lightning damage, and hits Reflex 13 on Goblin 8 for 6 lightning damage.

  •  Ishara of the Deva
    • Female Deva Invoker 2
    • Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 17
    • AC:16, Fort:15, Reflex:14, Will:16 - Speed:6
    • HP:30/30, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left: 9/9
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used.
    • Covenant of Wrath
    •  
    • Powers
      • Sun Strike
      • Divine Bolts
      • Thunder of Judgment
      • Channel Divinity: Armor of Wrath
      • Channel Divinity: Rebuke Undead
      • Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes
      • Divine Call
      • Angelic Echalon
      • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Utility, Special, Used/Not Available)

_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:25 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Ishara's faith in Ioun completely destroys the nearer goblin. The farther target is just quick enough to dodge the bolt aimed at him, however.

User posted image

Initiative: Status
Moroth: 31/31, +1 AC till end of next turn.
Zrith: 28/28
Ishara: 30/30
==>Korg: 31/31
Goblin 1: Unharmed
Goblin 2: Unharmed
Goblin 3: Unharmed
Goblin 4: Unharmed
Goblin 5: Unharmed
Goblin 6: Unharmed
Goblin 7: DEAD
Goblin 8: Unharmed
Goblin 9: Unharmed
Goblin 10: Unharmed
Goblin 11: DEAD
Goblin 12: DEAD
Goblin 13: DEAD
Goblin 14: Unharmed
Goblin 15: Unharmed
Goblin 16: DEAD
Arjhan: 37/37, +1 AC till end of Moroth's next turn.
Big Grigbad: Unharmed
Gerren: 31/31
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Dungeon Delves » The Broken Tower

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software