DeadGoblins.com » Dungeon Delves » Coppernight Hold

Coppernight Hold

Moderators: Gary, Jonathan Berg, Josh, Michael Doss, nmathew, Viktor.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
This is a level 1 delve for a party of 3-6 characters.
« Last edit by Viktor on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
All too rarely, the guild calls upon a few lucky ones to go on a quest. Today is such a day, signalled by the loud gonging sound. Along with everyone else, you strap on all your gear and head over to the central courtyard, looking up. It doesn't take long for the guildmaster to step out onto the balcony overlooking the courtyard. He is an ancient and formidable looking Fey, conveying with a mere glance the deadly powers at his beckon. None of you know his name, let alone what adventures he must have had prior to becoming the guildmaster. Those of you who have been in Loudwater for more than a few days know that the townspeople both respect and fear him.

"The mayor of Loudwater has asked a favor of this guild." the guildmaster announces with a soft voice that is strangely loud enough to be heard by everyone in the courtyard. "I choose..."


User posted image

Finally! Along with the five other named soon-to-be heroes and heroines, you make your way out of the courtyard and on to the guildmaster's study. You barely register the shoulder pushes and disgruntled noises from all the other guild members; such is your anticipation to at last begin leaving your mark on the world.

After the six of you have entered the Guildmaster's study, the door closes behind you of its own accord. You look around the spartan room in slight confusion. Somehow you imagined there would be a lot more books, arcane instruments, and bubbling fluids in this study. You also imagined the guildmaster would be sitting in his obviously empty desk chair. Lastly, your gaze falls upon your would-be companions in the as yet unknown endeavor. You feel that this would be the ideal moment to introduce yourself.


"Arjhan" - Dragonborn Fighter (Ari)
"Khorvan Silverscale" - Dragonborn Bard (Gary)
"Korg" - Half-Orc Rogue (Marek)
"Gal-Uk" - Half-Orc Barbarian (Jonathan)
"Sered Val" - Deva Warlock (Josh)
"Ishara of the Deva" - Deva Invoker (Mike)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:03 pm. »
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
Korg eyed the others. Half with a sense of curiosity, half with an annoyance that these people would be grabbing a portion of whatever loot may be found. Just the thought made him unconsciously furrow his brow. Korg did not play well with others, for the most part. Only when he had something to gain from the endeavor.
Well, for better or worse his well being would be tied in this motley crew, so he better play nice for now.
Almost forcing a small smile, Korg bows slightly to the group. His hand rested on the handle of his dagger as if by instinct.

"Greeting, I am Korg. Friendly neighborhood cut-throat."

He actually only thought that last part. Why announce the obvious. If they could not tell his talents from his soft soled shoes, his dagger, shuriken, thieves tools, and blackened leather armor, they they are as dense as the steel in a dwarf's hammer.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gal-Uk decided to stay toward the back of the room. After all, indoor tight places were not his specialty. He much preferred the wide open plains of his people. But he knew he must deal with it, for the sake of furthering his warrior training.

He adjusted the greataxe at his back and the battleaxe by his side so that he could more comfortably lean against the wall where he could wait and observe the others in silence. Words should be saved for when they matter.
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Boldly, but without flair, the tall, thin, indigo-hued woman steps forward. "I am Ishara of the Deva. I come here in the name of Ioun, my god. I vow to fight in Her name against any forces opposing Her. A prophecy stated that this guild would accept me, and that has come to pass. "

As quickly as she stepped forward, Ishara falls back, seemingly waiting for the next introduction.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Well met, all!" one of the dragonborn booms. Clad in chain mail, a longsword hangs from his belt and a shield is strapped to his back. His scales have a silver-gray sheen, and when he speaks, the hair on your forearms crackles.

"I am Khorvan Silverscale, and it seems fate has brought us together this day. Surely together we will accomplish great deeds worthy of song."

He's voice commands attention, and you get the sense he actually believes what he's saying. Certainly the optimistic sort, at the least.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:15 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
After appraising the others, the male deva speaks, his voice slithering through the words, "I am Sered Val. I expect ruthless efficiency in completing our assignment. I do not want to be bothered with these menial tasks any longer than necessary."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale

With ferocity in his eyes and hesitation in his step, Arjhan enters. Taking careful note of possible exits and danger, he positions himself seemingly safe among his soon to be comrades. Before speaking he waits patiently to get a feel for the party, making sure not to let his guard down lest he must defend himself.

Despite his size, heavy garb, and weaponry he seems to hold himself quite still, but with perhaps unsteady legs. Suited in full scale armor, a heavy shield at his back, and a Warhammer at his side, he seems intimidating at a height of 6'8" and a weight of 320lb. At last he relaxes, takes a confident stance, and speaks well.

"My name is Arjhan and it is my honor and duty to be called upon for service by the guild. Let us defeat our enemies swiftly and mercilessly."

Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
User posted image

Without a sound, the large oval mirror standing in one corner shimmers with black and green swirling smoke. "Yes, acting swiftly and mercilessly would be good in the assigment I have tasked for you."

He looks each of you in the eyes with a penetrating, stern expression. Although he is only an image in the mirror, you have the unerving feeling that not being in the same room with you would not prevent the guildmaster in the slightest from doing as he wishes with his powers, should he choose.

"The mayor of Loudwater, Lady Moonfire, has expressed her concern about two militia members that were sent out to investigate some unauthorized mining and architecting nearby. They should have returned two days ago. The mining is reportedly being conducted by a dwarf prospecter named Kavalar Coppernight. You are to discover what happened to the militia and report back here. The terms are that you can appropriate any spoils found at the location and, in addition, each of you that survives will receive 12 gold pieces from the guild." he finishes and looks at you expectantly, with one eyebrow raised high, in what may be his version of a dismissive gesture.

  •  For Ishara's eyes only
    • As he mentions how little the guild will pay the group, you believe to detect a slight twinkle in the guildmaster's eye, which he may be trying to distract all of you from by raising his eyebrow just a little bit higher than necessary.

« Last edit by Viktor on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 pm. »
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
Korg was usually very careful and measured with his words, but before he could stop himself he blurted out "Risking life and limb for 12 gold? Really? 12 gold? All the others would not be slobbering for guild work if the pay was that miserable? What's the deal?"

Better be some DAMN good loot in that mine, Korg though to himself.
« Last edit by marek on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 am. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Ishara speaks up. "The Half-Orc speaks truly. That sum is insufficient for our likely expenditures and risk. I believe you know this to be the case, as well, Guildmaster."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lowering his eyebrow and once more adopting a stern expression. "You are all new to this guild and have yet to prove yourselves. I have chosen you because I think this task will hopefully not be too much for you. However, why should the guild overextend itself for unreknowned adventurers such as yourselves?"

Skill Challenge: Persuade the Guildmaster to pay more than a pittance
Primary skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, Insight, Streetwise(city politics)
Goal: 6 successes before 3 failures

This challenge will be done in rounds. Each player must make one skill roll per round before the next round begins. The order doesn't matter. Any player can choose to aid another player with their roll, by throwing a DC10 roll in the skill they wish to help the other player with. You must specify which skill and which player you are helping before that player makes their roll. A successful aid grants +2 to the roll, an unsuccessful aid does not penalize nor count as a failure in the skill challenge. No more than two aid attempts are allowed per aided player, per round. Two failures by the group in the same primary skill makes that skill unavailable to be used anymore (e.g. the guildmaster will not be amenable to diplomacy anymore if there are two diplomacy failures). Don't forget to add +1 to your roll if you throw within 24 hours.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gal-Uk pulls Korg aside and whispers in Giant.

  •   For Korg Only
    •  Maybe let him in on the time the two of us fought a whole village of ogres?


    Bluff aid for Korg (1d20=11)

    Bluff aid success for Korg
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: I think that should have a +3 for my Bluff (+2) and 24h, making it a 14 total?
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"I may be new to this guild, but I am aware of your dues, the percentage cut you get from most activities, and that few shopkeepers in town are brave enough to ask you for fair payment for services rendered. Your reward is insufficient. "

Insight check (1d20+6+1=8)

OOC: Ishara, it seems, has no insight. Stupid Invisible Castle.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Gal-Uk's words seemingly ignite the idea for a fine tale in Korg's mind. However, Ishara's previous insightful observation of the guildmaster's stinginess does not extend to successful bargaining. "There is a reason why most shopkeepers do not confront the guild regarding payments. We deal very harshly with those that seek an unfair advantage over their competitors." says the ancient Fey with an arrogant smirk.

User posted image
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
"Some of us are not as wet behind the ears as you may think, old man. Gal-uk an I have had experience fighting larger creatures, even ogres. We are of orc blood, not some snot nosed kids straight from grammar school!"

Bluff the guildmaster. (1d20+6+2+1=15)
Hope that's enough :?
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Sered calls the bard over and whispers to him, "Khorvan, you may have the best chance to convince this man that this sum is a pittance. We all expect more for our efforts."

Diplomacy aid Khorvan (+3 skill, +1 24hr) (1d20+4=6)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Adressing Korg and looking back and forth between him and Gal-Uk, "Well, well, well. It seems the two half-breeds may have what it takes to earn the guild's respect. You two certainly do appear capable of handling yourselves in a tough fight."

Khorvan hears Sered Val's words clearly, but is otherwise uninspired.

User posted image

OOC: This may be obvious to all of you, but you can also roll to aid another for the next round. This may be a good idea for Arjhan to do if Ari wants to, since I think dragonborn fighters typically lack social graces ;). And feel free to take your turn out of order within any given round.
« Last edit by Viktor on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:59 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
Arjhan hears the amount of 12 gold and immediately shoots a disgruntled look at Khorvan, seeking validation from his brethren. Knowing that a fellow Dragonborn would have a dragon's pride, Arjhan proceeds to attempt to convince him on this point.

" A Payment of 12 gold for such a deed of risk and valor, is shameful and without honor . This could be fair for one outside the guild, but for the sake of the guild's reputation, they should prioritize such matters."

diplomacy aid for Khorvan (1d20+2+1=17)

Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
With a thoughtful expression, "Yes, the guild's reputation is certainly of importance. Nevertheless, I am not certain that merely finding two missing militia members is such a great task requiring great reward."

Diplomacy aid success => Khorvan gains +2 to diplomacy roll

OOC: Wow! I think that means Khorvan has effective diplmacy of 12 for his roll or 17 if Gary chooses to use Words of Friendship. ;)
« Last edit by Viktor on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:07 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Surely, Guildmaster, performing such deeds is of paramount importance," Khorvan states gravely. "The Guild performs many missions for clients in faraway lands, and yet causes much trouble for the local district with the unsavory attention we draw. Surely such a quest as this, on behalf of those whom grant us license to operate here, would be a critical endeavor, meriting equal reward for those of us called upon to fulfill such a duty. As Arjhan states, the Guild demonstrates Loudwater's value to us in the reward granted for finding its militia members."

OOC: Using Words of Friendship.

Diplomacy (WoF, Aid, 24H) (1d20+9+5+2+1=30)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:34 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Scottsdale
OOC Ha! Rolling a 30 might just be like talking someone to death

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Dungeon Delves » Coppernight Hold

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software