DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » Hammerfist: Ravenblade's side of the story

Hammerfist: Ravenblade's side of the story

Moderators: Emily, Michael Doss.

Page: 1 2 3 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
OOC: This will be for Ravenblade only. No cheating please.

Of course the main group can have a look once their side quest is all done and Ravenblade is united with the others and can tell his side of the story.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
After reading the letter, Ravenblade looks up at his companions, then re-reads the letter again quickly. Although somewhat confused by receiving such a missive in a "normal" tone of voice, Ravenblade's eyes linger on the news about Kyra.

Having already made up his decision in his heart, before his mind had even realized it, the ranger grabs his things hastily.

Turning towards his companions as he prepares to depart, "I have some urgent...hmmm...business to attend to. I will return within a week, two at most."

1d20+6+1=20 (Intuition roll)

After taking one step away, he looks at the letter he is still holding in his left hand and then turns back with a worried, pre-occupied look on his face. "Hmmm...if anyone ever asks you which way the sparrow flies, tell them it is the same direction as the hawk flies and ask in return which direction that is. If they answer that it is away from the hippogriff, then know I trust this person and so can you."

Not waiting for a reply, the dwarf ranger slips silently out the door. Without a backward glance, he walks through Overlook and leaves by the nearest gate, making his way to Hammerfist.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Sun May 17, 2009 11:31 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Ravenblade reads the letter and can sense that something isn't right about this matter. He feels that although the chief isn't lying, Baldoc isn't telling the whole truth either. Clearly Baldoc is desperate to see him, but won't say more until they meet face to face.

It takes three days for Ravenblade to reach Brindol and then another half day journey south to his home village of Hammerfist. The village is a modest, quiet place populated almost exclusively by dwarves. Most of the clan work in the small quartz quarry just outside of the village. There is one local tavern/inn, the Hammer and Chisel.

Baldoc Hammerfist's house is easy to find. It is clearly the largest and most impressive house in the village. In his prime, Baldoc was renowned for being an excellent builder and architect. Over the years he has made many improvements and additions to his home.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Feeling a little uneasy returning to Hammerfist after so many years, especially given the strange and unclear circumstances, Ravenblade decides not to waste any time and proceeds to Chief Baldoc's home. There will be time enough later to sample some of the fine ale at the Hammer and Chisel. He tries his best to ignore some of the more directly staring dwarves as he walks down the main street.

Upon reaching the home, Ravenblade takes a few deep, meditative breaths, dreading what news he may soon hear about Kyra. He briefly wonders if Chief Baldoc may be losing his senses at his age, given the congenial tone of voice in his letter. Not wanting to prospone this meeting any longer than necessary, the ranger uses the main door's inticate metal knocker to announce his presence.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Baldoc's housekeeper, Dorydd, answers the door. "Ah yes, Arombalosh. Chief Baldoc is expecting you. Won't you come in. He's in his study." Ever since Baldoc's wife died several years ago of filth fever, Dorydd has been taking care of the house. She leads him down the hall an into a dark room will some book shelves and a massive oak desk.

Baldoc Hammerfist, an older dwarf of average size with a braided gray beard. He is seated but rises as you enter. "Thank you Dorydd. Will you get dinner ready?" Then the chief turns and with sad smile says "Thank you for coming. I need to speak to you and you must stay for dinner. Dorydd has prepared a delicious rabbit stew." He seems nervous, but also welcoming. After all these years, and the way Baldoc practically threw you out of the clan, the meeting feels very awkward.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade also looks uncomfortable and tense as he sees Chief Baldoc. He tries to keep the suddenly surfaced emotions of remembered pain and injustice in check. He looks down at this right hand in mild surprise, seeing it clenched tightly around the ivory-handled craghammer with it's mother of pearl inlaid lightning symbols. With a concious effort, he loosens and then releases his grip, realizing that a physical confrontation is not likely to occur, and tries his best not to sound resentful.

1d20+2+1=15 (Diplomacy roll)

Taking a deep breath the ranger bows his head slightly, not enough to be deferential, but not too little to be overtly rude, "Greetings, Chief Baldoc. I too...thank you, for inviting me into your home. I will be more than happy to stay and speak with you. However, given the content of your letter, perhaps we could speak about the matter at hand before dinner tonight." he says, eyeing Dorydd, who is still in the room, meaningully. Ravenblade looks at Chief Baldoc keenly, his predatory eyes not wavering, trying to assess any hidden motives or conniving behind the chief's unexpected calling him back from exile.

1d20+6+1=18 (Insight roll to assess Chief Baldoc's intentions/demeanor)

OOC: As you can probably guess, I'm using some of the skill rolls to guide Ravenblade's RPGing, such as the insight roll in Overlook and the diplomacy roll now, while other roles are to interact with the world. I have some pre-determined ideas of how Ravenblade would react in this situation, but thought I would give him a "chance" to behave himself so to speak. I hope that's okay with you.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
"I'll just go work on that stew then..." says Dorydd as she leaves the room and closes the door.

Baldoc takes a deep breath "I really appreciate you coming. I know we did not part on good terms. I'll tell you what's happened."

He begins his explaination "Over the last year or so, my girls have become increasingly difficult. Ever since their mother died, it has been impossible to keep order in this hous. It seems they tried to break every rule just because it existed. I set a curfew and they come home 5 minutes late. I wanted Grenda to become my apprentice and learn the builder's trade, but no she insists on training with the axe and sheild. Kyra was even worse, she didn't want to do anything, no school, no work, nothing. They drove me mad!
." He is clearly getting upset at the memory of his disobedient daughters.

Ravenblade remembers that Chief Hammerfist always had a stern manner and was very protective of his family and his clan. Although being stubborn is a traditional dwarven trait, he took it to extremes. Never backed down and held grudges. It seems that lately he was hardest on his daughters.

"Then three months ago Kyra disappeared. Well, I guess her sister said she'd ran away. I tried to get Grenda to tell me where she'd went, but Grenda refused saying she didn't know." He grows angry and frustrated at the memory. "I decided to punish her by taking away all her privlieges, but then she left too. At least she told me where she was going - to Overlook to fight the orcs. I couldn't believe it. I told her to stay, but she refused! And look what happened to her!"

Baldoc seems less concerned about the safety of his missing daughter, or even grieved that his other child is dead. If anything, he is just upset about them disobeying him.

The chief seems to calm down and remember that Ravenblade is listening. He hesitates a moment and then continues "I, uh, need you to help me find Kyra. I know she was fond of you." His eyes shift back and forth with uncertainty as he continues "Also, I've decided that until she returns to Hammerfist, I will make you my hier." He shows Ravenblade a document.

"This is the last will and testament of Clan Chief Baldoc Hammerfist. After my death, I bequeath all my worldly possessions to Arombalosh, son of Angrosh." It bears the chief's signature and his personal family seal. Simple, straightforward and, from all appearances, seems legitimate.

OOC: Actions and words following how you roll is great. We'll see what happens.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade ponders the clan chief's words for a couple of minutes before replying, trying futilily to keep his anger in check.

1d20+2+1=9 (diplomacy roll)

"Firstly, I want to make it clear that I came only because it sounded like Kyra may be in some kind of trouble! I have no desire to be your heir or be in any way tied to you! Quite frankly, I am surprised that you would write such a will, bequething everything to someone that "foolishly climbs around like a bearded ape, instead of keeping his hands honest by laying them on grounded stone" if I remember your words correctly."

The ranger takes a breath, "Secondly, how in Melora's name am I supposed to find Kyra if she has been gone for three months and none of the others you have asked for help could find her yet. I'm assuming that you did arrange for some sort of search well before now instead of waiting until the trail was cold. Hmmmm....on second thought....did you talk to anyone about this before me?"

Not waiting for a reply, "Before you answer that, let me just add that I find it strange that you would turn to me for help instead of somebody else in Hammerfist. How is it that the only dwarf you seemingly trust is one that you exiled with extreme prejudice? Have you alienated everyone else, aside from your daughters?"

Remembering the reason for coming here and feeling a little of the sadness that Baldoc must be feeling, Ravenblade adds more softly, "Hmmmm....I'm sorry, that may have been out of line.....please know that the fighting at Overlook was done by the most courageous and true-hearted of individuals. Without the willingness and sacrifice of people such as Grenda Baldocson, Bordrin's Watch may very well have been overrun, considering the overwhelming odds. It is thanks to your daughter, that the Liberators and others were able to have sufficient time for sealing off the dwarven tunnels that were already partially controlled by orcs. Her death was both noble and meaningful; a daughter to be proud of."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
At first Baldoc seem to rise to Ravenblade's anger. He begins to turn red and hold his breath. He clenches his fists as if he can barely resist punching the dwarf across from him. "Hah you ask if I've spoke to other about this. The whole village knows that Kyra is gone and they scoff at me. No one respects me anymore. I know I'm in the right, by Mordin's Beard. The others in the village have all turned against me." he rambles with a touch of paranoia.

Then, his tone changes to more of plea of desperation "Look I need you help. Like I said, Grenda wouldn't tell me a thing. No on in the clan takes Kyra's disappearance seriously. Who knows what might have happened to her? If you won't get me out of this situation, I don't know what I'll do." Quite uncharacteristically for the proud dwarf, he seems to be nearly begging.

Just then the housekeeper returns and announces "Dinner is ready."

Baldoc seems relieved at the interruption, "Come. Have some food and some of Dorydd's excellent home-brew ale. There's nothing quite like it in the village. We can talk more over the meal."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade is about to say something, but then relents and thinks it can wait until dinner is served. He does however wonder at the chief's seeming desperation. After all, asking Ravenblade for help is just about the last person the ranger would have guessed for the chief to turn to. He also wonders at Baldoc's choice of words, "If you don't get me out of this situation, I don't know what I'll do." Odd thing for a father to say if he is truly just concerned about his daughter's wellbeing. There must be more than fatherly love to this story, the ranger decides.

"Hmmm....alright then, let's begin dinner. Maybe after a couple of bites and swallows, you can tell me exactly what will happen if Kyra is not found soon." he says, already feeling as if he has inadvertenly stepped into the center of a noose trap. Why would the chief name him, of all dwarves, as heir?

OOC: As Han Solo would say, "I have a bad feeling about this."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Suspicious of this whole situation, Ravenblade settles down to the meal. Although the rabbit stew tastes delicious, the homemade beer has a strange after taste. After a glass of the stuff he starts to feel woozy, perhaps this homebrew is stronger than he remembers.

Then Ravenblade passes out. He half remembers being put on a horse cart in a half conscious state and a long bumpy road. He wakes up the next day back in Brindol in the gutter near the Antler and Thistle with a wicked headache. He notices his lightning craghammer is missing as well as the letter the clan chief sent him. As his head begins to clear, he realizes he never should have trusted a word that Baldoc said.

OOC: Yeah, you knew it was coming. Thanks for playing along. :)

Edited to mention missing weapon and letter.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
« Last edit by Emily on Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Getting up slowly, trying to think past the rising anger at what has been done to him, Ravenblade ponders what to do now. Why would Baldoc have him drugged and dragged to Brindol? Should I go back to Hammerfist and beat the gallstones out of him for this, he wonders to himself? Could the chief have been lying about everything, Grenda's death and Kyra's disappearance. Nothing seems to make any sense.

Not having any answers, Ravenblade takes stock of his possesions, frowning when he finds his still full money pouch. Not robbery then, the chief must have had some other motive. Still feeling a bit woozy, he decides to firstly grab a bite and drink, water preferably, at the Antler and Thistle and ask if the innkeeper may have heard anything last night.

Having made up his unclear mind, Ravenblade enters the inn and sits down at the bar.

"Please serve me some warm stew and a pitcher of cold, clear water. By the way, you wouldn't happen to know if Andronsious the Alchemist is currently in town?" he asks, an idea beginning to form in his head. "Oh, and did you happen to hear anything unusual last night?" he adds, trying to sound nonchalant.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
The innkeeper recognizes Ravenblade from his previous encounters at the tavern "Good morning sir. Yes, Andronsius is in town. I saw him yesterday. He was holding a big sale on powdered fungus. His shop should be open in a few minutes. Its just across the street."

"Oh, yes. There was some unusual news. I heard there was a big fire in Hammerfist village last night." At the dwarf's reaction, he says "I must say, you don't look well."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"A fire in Hammerfist?!?"splutters Ravenblade. "Was anyone injured?" he asks, with a sense of foreboding.

OOC: This is getting worse and worse.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
"Sorry I don't know anything else about it. Hopefully everyone is okay down there."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade, with a growing sense of unease, quickly pays the innkeeper and heads outside. He crosses the street and enters Andronsius' shop.

"Good morning Andronsius. Sorry to barge in here, but I'm wondering if you may have heard anything about yesterday's fire in Hammerfist." he asks, hoping that the alchemist is set up with the DNN (dwarven news network) and knows more than the innkeeper. "Oh, and do you happen to have anything that might help a poison-induced haziness and headache? I could really do with a cure to the fogginess in my mind."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Andronsius smiles in surprise "Well met Ravenblade. I didn't expect to see you here today. A fire in Hammerfist you say? No I hadn't heard of that. Not my clan though."

He starts to rummage around in a cabinet, "Something for poison-induced haziness, let's see what I have here..."

User posted image

Just then, a clean cut, no fuss, human man, exuding confidence walks into the store. To himself he says"Ah, yes, good. He said you'd gone this way." He nods a greeting to Andronsius and then introduces himself "I am constable DeSlater. Are you Arombalosh, son of Angrosh, AKA Ravenblade?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade was about to reply to Andronsious, when addressed by constable DeSlater.

"Hmmm....yes, I am he. How can I help you?" he responds.

To Andronsius, "Nevermind the request."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Rather blazee, the constable says "You are under arrest for the murder of Baldoc Hammerfist and setting fire to his house. Please come with me to the jail for processing. I warn you anything you say may be used against you. We will take your statement at the jail."

Ravenbalde notices the three town guards stationed just outside the shop.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
1d20-1+1=1 (Intelligence roll)

"WHAT! THAT'S ABSURD! I NEVER LAID HANDS ON HIM. NOT THAT I WOULDN'T WANT TO RIGHT NOW..."

Then, with sudden calmness and squinting eyes, "A swine is always a swine."

1d20+2+2+1=17 (Bluff roll, with +2 from Imposter's chainmail)

Ravenblade then turns to Andronsius and gives him a gold coin. "Thank you for your help." he says with a pleading look in his face that only Andronsius can see. "Here's the money I owe you for sending a message to my friends in Overlook. If you see them, please don't forget to ask them which way the sparrow flies, and if they ask you which direction that is, tell them that it is away from the hippogriff, and then remind them how in Rivenroar I thought Mal was killed by the wight, but it turned out Mal wasn't dead and only needed a healing potion. Please!"

He then turns calmly to constable DeSlater, "I will go with you without causing any trouble." and walks out the door, having made up his mind not to say anything else about Kyra, Baldoc, the letter, or anything until his companion Liberators come to "liberate" him.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Andronsius nods in understanding "Sure I'll get a message to Mal and the others."

Ravenblade goes peacefully with DeSlater back to the town jail. He refuses to give a statement. A trial is set for the next week. His belongings are confiscated and he is put in cell by himself.

During the night, Ravenblade is awoken by scratching noises. In the dim light he can make out the shapes of four large rats.

OOC: Remember this is unarmed combat.

Initiative: Status
Ravenblade: 47/47
Brown rat: no damage
Yellow rat: no damage
Peach rat: no damage
Tan rat: no damage


User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Looks like dinner just crawled in." grunts Ravenblade, as he eyes the rats with a knowing look (nature roll) and then moves to the nearby stool. With a powerful kick, he attempts to smash the stool apart, hoping to pick up two wooden legs to wield (unarmed attack on stool). He then morphs his clothes into chainmail (minor action, bringing AC to 20).

1d20+11+1=27 (Nature roll to assess the rats)

1d20+3+1=8 (Unarmed attack)

Mechanics:
free action:
standard: break stool
move: to A7
minor: polymorphy clothes into chainmail
action point: not used

OOC: I have to admit that I do not know how the unarmed combat rules work. Is unarmed (i.e. using fists) considered a melee weapon? Could I therefore use Ravenblade's attack powers without having to pick up any sort of weapon, assuming that his right and left fist are considered to be dual wielding? I also don't know what the attack roll or damage roll would be with fists alone. And lastly, would hunter's quarry extra damage work with unarmed attacks? I rolled what I thought might be an unarmed attack anyway, d20 plus STR modifier.

  •  Ravenblade
    • Male Dwarf Ranger, Level 5
    • Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 16
    • AC: 20(13), Fort: 16, Reflex: 14, Will: 16, Speed: 5
    • HP: 52, Bloodied: 26, Surge Value: 13, Surges left: 8/8
    • Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used
    • +5 against poison, -1 space against forced movement
    •  
    • Powers
    • Hit and Run
    • Twin Strike
    • Evasive Strike
    • Thundertusk Boar Strike
    • Fox Shift
    • Jaws of the Wolf
    • Two-Wolf Pounce
    • Imposter's Chainmail +2 (at-will/polymorph)
    • Lightning Craghammer +1 (daily)
    • Wavestrider Boots (daily)
    • Alchemical Silver (consumable)
    • Ghoststrike Oil (consumable)
    • Life Shroud (consumable)
    • Potion of Healing (consumable)
    • Potion of Healing (consumable)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Ravenblade knows that rats prefer to live underground, only venturing aboveground at night. They skulk in the sewers and dark alleyways of towns and cities, drawn by the abundance of food, and occasionally inhabit dark caves, ruins, and dark thickets in the wilderness. These seem to be larger than normal size rats, but still smaller than the dwarf. Rats such as these are well known for being carriers of filth fever.

Ravenblade moves into the corner, polymorphs his armors, and gets into a good stance to protect himself.

Three of the oversized rats move in. Only one manages to find a vulnerable spot on Ravenblade's ankle doing 5 damage. Ravenblade wonders if that bite carried the infection or not. (Make a saving throw at the end of the encounter)

Initiative: Status
->Ravenblade: 47/42, +2def
Brown rat: no damage
Yellow rat: no damage
Peach rat: no damage
Tan rat: no damage

User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade eyes the rat nearest the door with deadly intention and then throws a couple punches at two rats. (jaws of wolf on yellow and brown). He then follows through with two thundering kicks (ACTION POINT: thundertusk boar strike on yellow and brown if they are still alive, otherwise on whichever one is alive with one kick and on peach with the other kick).

1d20+3+1=9, 2d4+3=6, 1d20+3+1=11, 2d4+3=9 (Jaws of the Wolf on yellow and brown)

1d20+3+1=23, 1d4+3=4, 1d20+3+1=7, 1d4+3=7 (thundertusk strike on yellow and brown or peach)

1d6=6 (HQ extra damage on yellow)

Mechanics:
free action:
standard: jaws of the wolf on yellow and brown
move:
minor: HQ on yellow
action point: thundertusk boar kick

OOC: Assuming both Jaws attacks missed, yellow takes 3 damage and brown takes 4 damage (unless they are minions then the misses don't do any damage). Thundertusk hits yellow 10 damage pushing it back one square (4 plus 6 from HQ) and misses brown/peach.

  •  Ravenblade
    • Male Dwarf Ranger, Level 5
    • Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 16
    • AC: 20(13), Fort: 16, Reflex: 14, Will: 16, Speed: 5
    • HP: 52, Bloodied: 26, Surge Value: 13, Surges left: 8/8
    • Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used
    • +5 against poison, -1 space against forced movement
    •  
    • Powers
    • Hit and Run
    • Twin Strike
    • Evasive Strike
    • Thundertusk Boar Strike
    • Fox Shift
    • Jaws of the Wolf
    • Two-Wolf Pounce
    • Imposter's Chainmail +2 (at-will/polymorph)
    • Lightning Craghammer +1 (daily)
    • Wavestrider Boots (daily)
    • Alchemical Silver (consumable)
    • Ghoststrike Oil (consumable)
    • Life Shroud (consumable)
    • Potion of Healing (consumable)
    • Potion of Healing (consumable)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)

Page: 1 2 3 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » Hammerfist: Ravenblade's side of the story

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software