DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » Bordin's Watch

Bordin's Watch

Moderators: Emily, Michael Doss.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
The next couple days pass uneventfully. The city is buzzing with speculation of the upcoming gathering of the Overlook Council of Elders and the anticipated call to arms. You can?t help but notice the influx of warriors, militia groups, and other adventurers in the city.

Megan and Ghena, the two females in the Freeriders, are often overheard discussing sightings of the well know, and apparently good looking, adventuring party known as the Farstriders.

A typical conversation might go along these lines:

Ghena starts to share a bit of gossip "Ruth said she saw them at the Survival Emporium yesterday buying supplies. She couldn't be sure, but guessed they'd be going into some caves from what they were buying. Think of that, caves!"
Then Megan asks "Can you tell the twin elf rangers appart? I think maybe Uulath has a scar behind his ear."
"No, I can't tell them apart at all. But I heard it was Reiner with the scar on his ear."
"I heard that when they were in the Shadowfell, they defeated a cult of shadar-kai witches who were creating strength elixirs from the tortured screams of their victims."
Then Ghena responds "Wow. That is very impressive. I'd have loved to have seen that. Hmmm, I wonder if those witches were using the power of an inverted howl or chronal destabilization..."

OOC: So I think Mal has expressed interest in the call to arms. I am assuming that everyone else is on board too.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
« Last edit by Emily on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:37 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Salazar wanders into the common room of the inn and rolls his eyes at the two women.

"So, any word on the call to arms?" he asks. "Freelance adventuring is great and all, but having government endorsement for the use of force always makes things so much simpler."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Speaking up from the table behind the Freeriders, Hedoni greets Salazar and replies, "At this point, I think it's just a matter getting in line, and being handed a job. While the wine selection here in town is great, I'm ready to get back into the swing of things and see what's beyond the walls."
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Me too," Salazar tells the eladrin. "This whole time, not a single goblin, hobgoblin, ogre, or bounty hunter has bothered us. These orcs I keep hearing about need to hurry up!"

"Oh, and I still haven't come up with a name for us. Can't go letting the Freeriders and Farstriders getting all the glory when the time comes, just because people know what to call them,"
Salazar adds.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Sitting down next to Hedoni and Salazar, "Hmmmm.....a name for us eh? How about the Elsir Elite? I like the use of double letters. By the way, where is your cousin? I have something to give him."

As regards the call to arms, it's better to be careful what you wish for. Destiny has a way of hitting you over the head when you least expect it." he adds thoughtfully, while stroking the shaft of his ivory handled craghammer.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"I haven't seen him yet this morning," Salazar said of Mal. "Probably up early to go pray at the Temple of Pelor of some such nonsense."

Considering, Salazar finally says, "Elsir Elite's not bad. Certainly better than the Younglings," he chides the dwarf with a smile. "But I'm going to keep thinking on it."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Mal walks in and looks around, his gaze avoiding the dwarf. Listening to the conversation, he says, "We should choose something that relates to our first adventure. Maybe The Antler's Thistle or Beldin's Watch or Rivenroar something. We should then ask Miss Swiftblade and the Freeriders what they think."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"First adventure... Hmmm. Cryptwalkers?" Salazar offers. "We defeated the Red Hand, so maybe the Blue Hand? Sinruth's Fall? Wightsbane?"
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
?I?m glad to hear you folks are itching for battle too. And yes, your party better have a decent name by then. Otherwise the conscript master won?t have anything decent to call you. Of course we're happy to give you opinions on the matter." Megan replies.

Ghena says "Oh I know, what about Firey Force of Five, or Terror Team or Star Squadron?"

Megan looks dubiuos at Ghena's suggestions "Alliteration is okay, but I prefer a name that is short and sweet, but still packs a punch.? Megan says.

OOC: There are some awesome name generators at Seventh Sanctum.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
After Mal has sat down, Ravenblade slides over the certificate of donation from the orphanage.

"I thought you might appreciate this use of funds, given the unfortunate situation."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Hmmm...I think Sal is on the right path. Cryptwalkers and Wightsbane are close. We are definitely making progress. This may end up being our most difficult task!"

Eyeing the dwarf carefully, Mal glances at the paper, "What is this? A donation? That is generous of you, Ravenblade. Why, exactly, do I care, though?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
Daggoth groggily joins his compatriots at the table. He is not a morning person, and it would be an hour or so before he fully coherent.

He slumps down into a chair with a mug of hot tea.

"So what's the plan gents? Name or no name let's get out there for a little orc stomping."


For now Daggoth decided to ignore and interpersonal spat between Mal and Ravenblade. It's way to early for this crap, he thought.
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"I don't think allusions to the undead would be a very good fit for us. I think that, after some more time fighting together, we will finally realize what names fits us best."

To Mal, "Most of that donation was your portion of the last payment received from the Baron, which you did not wish to claim. As such, it seemed suitable to use your name as the beneficiary. The reason you should care is that it shows how good can come from evil intentions, just as evil can come from the best of intentions. Things are not always as they seem at first."

Speaking to the entire group again, "I for one hope that we will not be facing too many orcs anytime soon. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I don't feel that the unique skills that we each bring to the group are best utilized amidst hundreds of other fighters at our side. Looking back at what we have accomplished in Rivenroar and here in Overlook, I feel our group is best at specific tasks that require the skills of a few as opposed to the brute force of many. At least that's what I have observed within us, that working together we have become more than each of us individually. Hmmmm.....kind of makes me think of an insect hive. Shall we call ourselves "The Hive"? he finishes with an exaggerated look of seriousness.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Eyes aflame, "Ravenblade, you do not have the right to donate that money in my name. It was not my money. I had no claim to it and refuse to acknowledge it as mine. It was your money for being hired by the Baron. I was there to keep a man from being murdered. My goal was accomplished and as it was my goal, I refuse payment for services rendered to myself. The good that came out of this was a man not being murdered for, at most, a petty crime. Your donation is simply a good that came out of your own actions. But it shall not be in my name. Where is the temple? I am going over there to change the donation to Ravenblade."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"So, Hedoni, Daggoth, you guys want to go find some orcs? They've got to be more agreeable," Salazar sighed.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Ravenblade looks at Mal for a couple of seconds in silence, blinks slowly a few times, and then shakes his head as if he can't believe he is quite awake. Finally, he decides that perhaps like some trees in the forest that are unable to bend during a storm, Mal may be more likely to snap apart in the winds of change. Better to just leave him be and let him open his eyes and read the certificate if he wants to find the location of the orphanage.

Hearing Salazar's words, Ravenblade chuckles. "Hmmmm....you know, Salazar. I think maybe it would be good for us to face several hundred orcs at once. Orcs are always evil they say, non-orcs are always good they say. A much prettier world for some.....at the very least it will be simpler to speak the language of violence to a bunch of orcs."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"More than anything, I think you two need a common enemy so you stop quarreling with each other. Let's find ourselves a mission, name or not."
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Nodding in agreement, "Those are probably the wisest words spoken by any of us for the last several days."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Feeling somewhat awkward after the unfriendly exchange between Mal and Ravenblade, Megan and Ghena excuse themselves. "So, uh, I guess we'll see you guys later in High Hall. The Elders are convening at noon."

As noon approaches you make for the district of High Hall.

High Hall
The oldest and most central of the Overlook district, High Hall consists of a forest of massive buildings packed tightly inside its walls. Towers thrust up from the fortresslike structures, climbing high above the walls and affording a look at the entire city and the lands all around. Most buildings house one of the dozen or so ministries that see to keeping the city operating. Examples include the Ministry of Commerce, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of War, and so on. Each operates out of a marble or brick building fronted by mpressive statues of dwarf warriors, artisans, and historical figures, while the walls themselves bear intricate carvings and bas-reliefs capturing key moments from the city?s history.

The Council of Elders might all be dwarves, but the rest of the city?s government is as diverse as the city. Bureaucrats, functionaries, messengers, and palanquins bearing representatives from other districts all make their way through High Hall. Buildings, buildings, and more buildings crowd the district, their carved fa?ades telling ancient stories of heroic dwarves, the end of the Age of Chains, and other historical events that helped shape this region.

User posted image

You finaly reach the Hall of the Council of Elders. Your group and some other adventuring parties are led through a maze of corridors until you reach the heart of High Hall. Standing on a 20-foot tall dais are the five elders. Each of the three male dwarves have long beards that hang to their feet, and two are old, being gray and wrinkled. The third is younger, with black hair and hard features. The two female elders are both attractive, one with red hair and the other with brown. All five wear the robes of their office?luxuriant purple and silver damask. Arranged beneath them, filling the chamber completely, is a motley crowd of common soldiers, militia, and adventurers, with each race and occupation represented, and most standing in small groups, but a few mingling.

You catch sight of Megan Swiftblade and the Freeriders. Sylen sees you first and whispers something to Megan. She turns, waves at you, takes the elf?s arm and motions for the rest of her companions to follow. The Freeriders work their way through the crowd to greet you. ?Well met, Nameless Ones. Glad to see you made it.? With an excited air Megan goes on ?Oh, do you see that group over there? They?re the Farstriders. Wow!? You look to where she is pointing and see group of five men standing to themselves, insulated from the crowd by an aura of pride and accomplishment. They are practically dripping with self-confidence bordering on arrogance. Aside from the leader, whom you assume to be the warlord Sommerfield, the group includes twin elf rangers, a half-elf warlock, and a human fighter.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
"Hmmm... well they look very confident in their own abilities don't they?"

The note in his voice was an indication that he was not overly impressed.

"Forgive me but I will withhold judgment until i see them in action. Stories and rumor don't hold much sway with me."
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Agreed," Salazar tells the dragonborn. "It doesn't take much to look good. Fighting well is another matter."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"You think I do this because of some lack of ability to distinguish partial goods and partial evils from the full things? You, Ravenblade, clearly do not understand me. This man had impregnated a woman. He was not a good man, and he may have been evil, but he gave us no indication that he was, like Sinruth. He was power hungry. Well, so was the man that hired us. The worst we know Raneor did was impregnate a woman and leave her for someone else. We also know that it was not have been difficult to impregnate this woman, mainly because she enjoyed the act that leads to pregnancy. In any normal situation, the matter would have ended with them married. However, several circumstances changed this. First, the woman is the daughter of a powerful man in a large city. A man with enough resources to send bounty hunters to another large city to find a man who might be the father. This is a man, I might add, who we were prepared to fight to the death because of all of the things we heard in the street about him. A man who runs a significant portion of the illegal trade in this city. Dare I say, a man who might very well be considered evil himself.

"Then, we discover that our friend was not the father, much to our relief, and that this Baron wants us to get rid of the other potential father. Specifically, the Baron wants the father so that he can torture or kill him. That is an evil act. Through my protestations, the Baron was convinced to give the man a chance to go into exile. Because I was able to convince this man to go into exile, I prevented the Baron from an evil act. You seemed only to want to kill this man. I was able to prevent you from performing an evil act. And notice the difference between an evil act and actually being evil. Even had you killed this man, Ravenblade, I would not consider you evil, however disappointed I might be in you.

"Then, if I had not stopped the fight before he was killed, we would have been murderers. What do you think would happen to us for coming into town and then killing a respected member of the ruling class in his home? And for what? To protect the emotions of a maiden as guilty as he? Do you think the Baron would have defended us if we had killed Raneor? Do you think anyone would have believed us if we said the Baron hired us? In addition, this man was to be wed into an influential family. Do you think that family would rest until we were executed? Even if we weren't arrested, we would have been thrust into the middle of a power struggle between two organizations that could decide our fates whenever they wish. Do you think it is good to throw all of our weapons in with the Baron when we have no idea what the Elsir Consortium is like? So, maybe my view of good and evil is limited, or maybe you fail to fully consider the implications of your actions."


A little more chipper, Mal asks, "Would anyone like to join me while I go change the name on this donation?"

OOC: Sorry, took me a while to write this.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 pm. »
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
:|
"You talk to much...
... so Ravenblade was too eager to put a hammer in his skull but your endless self-righteous yammering is giving me a headache. You both have flaws. so shut up... both of you... NOW"
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Looking at Mal during his long speech, Ravenblade's face becomes more and more bewildered. He pinches his arm to make sure he really is awake.

Hearing Daggoth's words, the dwarf laughs, "You are right, Daggoth. I believe Mal and I have found a new talent we never knew we possessed. That of powerful bickering. I wonder if it would work to distract our enemies in battle, if only to catch them by surprise. Oh, and the long speech just now gave me another idea for our group's name. Last week it was "Daggoth and his Stalwart Companions" if you were to ask Jalissa."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Emily on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Mal sighs, "You just don't get it, Ravenblade. Let's just find some orcs attacking the city." And then he walks back towards the crowds.

Smiling while he walks up to the Freeriders, Mal says"Hello, Miss Swiftblade, Mr. Leafrunner. So those are the Farstriders? They look a bit impressive. We should go say 'Hello'. How about it?" Mal asks as he starts walking confidently towards the insulated group.

As he reaches the perimeter surrounding the Farstriders, Mal says as he holds out his hand, "Hello! My name is Mal Geminous."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » Bordin's Watch

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software