DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » The Baron?s Daughter

The Baron?s Daughter

Moderators: Emily, Michael Doss.

Page: « < ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > »

Author Post
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"I'd rather be fighting the undead. This is excruciating. "
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Hmmm.....I admit that I haven't the foggiest idea of what such rituals are meant to be like, but I somehow imagined something more...ceremonious and perhaps with some pleasant chanting."

OOC: Mouthwash DNA sampling, eh. Very sophisticated for DnD. ;)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: DNA? It's called magic! :P

Also, I may be slow to respond over the next few days (by Thursday, I should be better). I will try to check at least once a day until then.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
The cleric returns about a half hour later carrying a parchment with the results. ?The ritual confirms that the lady here is the mother, but you sir are not this child?s father. Here is the official documentation, sanctified by Ioun and legally binding.?

Y?lin starts to cry and puts her face in her hand. The crying seems somewhat contagious and the infant starts to wail. Taff, says softly ?The Baron would like to meet with your group once more. He has a proposition for you.?

OOC: What can I say. I know something about how paternity tests actually work. I found a nice diagram of the theory behind this ritual.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Mal puts his arm around Y'lin to comfort her. He just lets her cry until she is done.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
The group gains 600 experience for clearing Hedoni's name.

OOC: Sorry, I forgot to mention the experience for completing the major quest. The group total is now 15881. You will reach level four at a group total of 18750 = 3750 each.

Also, are you willing to return and talk to the baron further?
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Looking at Taff, "Hmmm....the Baron has a proposition? I'm open to listening to what he has to say."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Visibly relieved, but not wanting to show that to Y'lin, Hedoni says, "I'm sorry the outcome wasn't want you wanted. But we will keep our promises."

To Taff, he nods, and looks to the rest of the group.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Yes, it's time to go back to the Baron and let him know what we found," Salazar agrees.

As they head back to the Baron's manor, Salazar whispers to Hedoni, "You got lucky this time, Hedoni. You've got to start being more careful. I think that gnome sold contraceptive potions, you might want to pay him another visit after we're done with the Baron."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
You escort Y?lin home and find the Baron waiting for you in his study. He seems serious and somewhat troubled. ?Taff has informed me of the outcome of the ritual. I would like thank you for your efforts regarding our family matter and I would like to reimburse you for your troubles. Also, since you seem like a capable group, and are already involved in this very personal business, I?d like to offer you the opportunity to retrieve this other man, Raneor. I, of course, want him brought to me, preferable alive. I am paying you 200 gold now for assistance so far, but I will give you another 400 gold if you can apprehend Raneor and bring him here. Taff will go with you. I understand if you prefer not to be involved any longer, and if so, I will have some of my own men fetch him. What is your decision??
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"I cannot speak for all of us, but if my companions agree, I am willing to help you find this Raneor. It seems that every adventurer in this city is just lying around, waiting for the Council to make a proclamation. I for one would rather be doing something than idling away."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Hold on, now. Baron Cosarn, your daughter expressed that she would rather raise the child by herself than with the other man she suspects is the father. I know if we don't agree to help, you will just have someone else do it, but maybe you should talk to your daughter about this before another manhunt begins. He may not be nearly as willing to discover why he is wanted. I would rather not be involved in this matter until your daughter has been consulted. She is a strong woman, and perfectly able to raise your grandchild alone."

Diplomacy check (+9 skill, +1 24hr) (1d20+10=26)

OOC: If that doesn't convince him, nothing will.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Indeed," Salazar says, "none of us five want to bring woe to Y'lin. What she feels about this situation really should be the primary issue here."

Then, after a pause, Salazar continues. "That said, if you do decide to have this man brought in, I see no reason to pass up earning some coin for ourselves, if the deed is going to be done anyway."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
The Baron says coldly "I no longer intend to be generous and offer the option of marriage. I am well aware of how my daughter feels towards this person. Whether you assist me or not, he will suffer the consequences of his actions."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Salazar perks up. "Ah, well. In that case, I'm certainly game. As you say, there's no reason to involve others in this business."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"I'm in."
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"You are going to need to do more than offer me money to convince me of the worth of this endeavor. Has this man done anything wrong other than impregnate and jilt your daughter. Simply being a scoundrel is not enough for me."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"What more do you need, Mal?" Salazar asks. "A man who'd shirk responsibilty and leave behind a child to be raised by their mother alone doesn't deserve to get away with it. I'd think you'd know that, if any of us would. And Y'lin herself thinks this joker deserves it, if you'll recall."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Commander Mal, your cousin speaks wisely. Whether we participate in this or not, Raneor's fate will be the same. You cannot swim against the river's current that is tumbling down the mountain. This way we can perhaps hear his side of the story first."

Addressing the Baron with a keen look in his eyes, "Will you be performing the same paternity ritual with Raneor to confirm his guilt? We know of a gnome in a less public part of the city that would be able to do so."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Cousin, I don't really think my life would have been better had my father been around. I am thankful every day that he "shirked his responsibility." And I am more than willing to make sure that Raneor does not trouble the fair Y'lin ever again, but I am not sure that the Baron is willing to stop at what is necessary. Besides, she agreed to have us make it so her father couldn't find him...obviously we cannot do that now."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Member
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 1061
Location: Glendale, CA
"If we don't take the job, he'll find someone else that will. I sure there will be takers in this town. And frankly, I could use the money."
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"As I said before, Mal. This way we can hear out what Raneor has to say and perhaps prove his paternity before he has to face the consequences of his actions."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
With controlled anger the Baron says to Mal "Certainly, you do not have children, or even a sister. If you did, you might understand. He pauses and then says to the larger group "I'd rather not involve anyone else in this personal matter, however if you are to help me, I need your complete agreement and assurance of confidentiality."

OOC: Does you want to talk to Y'lin about it? I'd really rather not have only four go get Raneor without Mal.

Of course you don't have to do the Baron's job. Or you could go find Raneor but not bring him to the Baron. Just some thoughts.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
"My lord, let us try to convince my friend here."

Speaking only to the group, Hedoni says "Let's take this job - if we don't find him, fine. If we do, we can offer him a deal, tell him to go into hiding, or bring him back here. We're in a good position, and like my scaly friend has said, we could use the money."

OOC: Does Hedoni know/know of Raneor?
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"Plus," Salazar added quietly to the group, "I'd rather have the Baron as a friend than an enemy."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign

Page: « < ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Scales of War » The Baron?s Daughter

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software