DeadGoblins.com » The Dark Campaign » Initiates!

Initiates!

Moderators: Jonathan Berg, Michael Doss.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
This is the day you have been waiting for. It has been years, all leading to this moment.

Life at the Shadow Tower is not easy, even for the more advanced students. Lessons are learned in blood and pain, and learned daily. But today, it all ends, for today, you stop being students. Today is the Day of the Initiate!

You wake early and dress in your simple black tunics, under which your armor sits comfortably. You buckle on weapons, looking at the other members of the initiate class, wondering which rivals will become teammates, and which former friends will become rivals, or even foes. The Day of the Initiate is your graduation day, the day you form into teams to carry out the wishes of the Commandant of the Shadow Tower, the place that has been your home for so long. Home and prison.

You bundle against the brisk chill of the late fall, and all eighteen members of the initiate class gather on the parade grounds, the remainder of the younger and less experienced students looking on from windows and balconies, as you had each prior year. You know what will happen, but it still seems a shock. One moment, all of you are dressed similarly in plain, unadorned black. The next, each has a colored stripe running down each arm. Some are gold, some green. Yours is red, bright crimson.

No words are said. You simply look around to see who else matches your new garments and quickly gather into your groups. There is only a brief time now to speak; you know the Test awaits.

OOC: Feel free to role play this as you wish, and just take a bit of time to do basic character introductions and a bit of bonding.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Dwimmerlaik didn't know why he'd had to spend all this time here at the Shadow Tower. The Tower recruiting officer insisted he come with her to train when she found him wandering, and having nothing more pressing to do, he'd followed. Perhaps they could teach him new ways to make others suffer as he did. He learned a few tricks, but had long been ready to leave. Unfortunately, much as they had following his transformation, the fey powers had other ideas. He'd tried to slip out of the Tower a few times, and each time found himself back in his quarters. Perhaps now that the Tower deemed his time here complete, the fey would agree.

Looking around at those who've been sorted into the same group he has, Dwimmerlaik wondered if they would prove useful, or just another trap sprung upon him by his "benefactors."

User posted image

  •  Dwimmerlaik
    • Male Revenant (Human) Hexblade (Fey Pact) 1
    • Full Character Sheet
    • Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11, Senses: Low-Light Vision
    • AC: 18, Fort: 12, Reflex: 15, Will: 15 - Speed: 6
    • HP: 24/24, Bloodied: 12, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 7/7
    • Action Points: 1
    • Resists: None

    • Past Life - Human (Race): Human feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies are available if all other prerequisites are met.
    • Undead (Race): You are considered to be both a living creature and an undead creature for effects that relate to that keyword.
    • Unnatural Vitality (Race): At 0 HP or below, can choose to remain conscious and dazed until failing a death saving throw.
    • Rod Expertise (Feat): +1 to hit with rods, +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex.

    • Basic Attacks
    • -Eldritch Bolt - RBA, +6 vs Reflex, 1d10+8 force damage, range 10, one creature.
    • -Icy Skewer - MBA, +9 vs AC, 1d10+8 cold damage and gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses against the target's attack until the end of my next turn, range melee, one creature.

    • Powers
    • -Eldritch Bolt
    • -Icy Skewer
    • -Soul Step
    • -Dark Reaping
    • -Piercing Shard
    • -Star Shackles

    • Items
    • -None yet.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Corvan's eyes scan the other 12 initiates. He ignores the members of his randomly chosen group, the bloodstripes, at first, choosing instead to size up the opponents. Three-pronged battles are often the hardest to predict since you can't rely on any alliances to cover your flanks. Looking at the 12 opposing students, Corvan tries to judge who in the two other groups is taking charge and which of them might be casters. Take off the head and the arms, then the body will fall. When some of the greens and golds look his way, he maintains eye contact, grinning at them with a nod. Satisfied when a few of them flinch, Corvan finally turns to his fellow reds. Why the frack does it always have to be color designations!?

He sees the guy that looks more dead than alive looking around the group and wonders as he's done before why this tortured soul doesn't just go on and die. He's got the demeanor of someone who ate an apple, hoping it was an orange.

Then there's the intense looking tiefling with his mechanical sidekick. He's always pushing and prodding with his words and insinuations, finding just the right buttons to press with everyone. Manipulative and most dangerous when he smiles, just like the older brother was.

Corvan eyes the crystalline thing, wondering why the gods decided it would be fine to create a brightly colored creature that doesn't have any blood to spill. What with all his redness, no wonder he's a caster!

Corvan finally looks at Jak. Now here's a man that can be understood. A former slave, like himself, and someone who understands the importance of group tactics and banding to survive. Corvan had enjoyed the days when the Battle Sergeant asked him to lead the training drills and he could spar with Jak.

User posted image

Current AC/REFLEX: 18/14
Surges: 9/9, Action point(s) left: 1/1, not used this battle

  •   Corvan Danaviss
    • Male Human Weaponmaster, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC: 18 Fort: 17 Reflex: 14 Will: 11 Speed: 6, Initiative: +3
    • HP: 26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges: 9
    •  
    • Class/Racial Features and Feats
      • Class/Racial Features
      • Arena Training: Proficiency with Greatspear and Singing Stick. You gain a +2 proficiency bonus to attack rolls with improvised weapons. Your attacks with one-handed improvised weapons deal 1d8 damage, and your attacks with two-handed improvised weapons deal 1d10 damage.
      • Feats
      • Master at Arms: +1/+2/+3 to hit per tier, minor action: sheathe one weapon and draw one weapon
      • Master of the Fist (Monk Multiclass): You gain training in Athletics or Acrobatics (chosen). You also gain the monkís Unarmed Combatant feature (+3/1d8) and gain proficiency with ki focuses.
      • Superior Implement Training (Mountain Ki Focus): can use mountain ki focuses
       
    • Basic Attacks
      • The following attacks respectively already include +1 24h, +1 charge.
      • Basic Melee (Unarmed): 1d20+9;1d8+4
      • Basic Melee Charge (Unarmed): 1d20+10;1d8+4
      • Basic Ranged (Repeating Crossbow): 1d20+7;1d8+3
       
    • Powers/Item Powers During Play
      • Combat Agility
      • Combat Challenge
      • Footwork Lure
      • Grappling Strike
      • Weapon Master's Strike
      • Funneling Flurry
      • Second Wind
      • Shove and Slap
      • Item Powers
      • none yet
      •  
    • Items
      • Items
      • Adventurer's Kit
      • Mountain Ki Focus Forceful: pull/push/slides with attack powers increase by 1 square, Shielding: when hitting at least one target with an attack power gain +1 AC/REFLEX until start of next turn
      • Hide Armor
      • Greatspear +3/1d10, polearm/spear/reach
      • Singing Stick +3/1d6, offhand/defensive/mace
      • Longsword +3/1d8, heavy blade
      • Repeating Crossbow +2/1d8, 10/20 range, crossbow
      • Widow's Knife +3/1d4, 5/10 range, offhand/light thrown/lightblade
      • Battleaxe +2/1d10, versatile/axe
      • Heavy Shield +2/+1 AC/REFLEX, heavy shield
       
    • Skills
      • Acrobatics +7 (trained)
      • Arcana +0
      • Athletics +8 (trained)
      • Bluff -1
      • Diplomacy -1
      • Dungeoneering +0
      • Endurance +4 (trained)
      • Heal +5 (trained)
      • History +0
      • Insight +0
      • Intimidate +4 (trained)
      • Nature +0
      • Perception +0
      • Religion +0
      • Stealth +2
      • Streetwise -1
      • Thievery +2
       
    • Descriptions of Powers
      • Combat Agility Opportunity Action, Trigger: An enemy adjacent to you takes an action that provokes an opportunity attack. Effect: After the triggering enemy completes the action, you shift a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier. You must end the shift closer to the target than you were when you began the shift. Then make the following attack. Target: The triggering enemy. Attack: Strength vs. AC. Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you knock the target prone.
      • Combat Challenge hit or miss an enemy you can mark it, Immediate Interrupt Melee, Effect: Whenever an enemy marked by you is adjacent to you and shifts or makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy.
      • Footwork Lure Melee weapon, Target: One creature, Attack: Strength vs. AC, Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage. You can shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you left.
      • Grappling Strike Melee touch, Requirement: You must have a hand free. Target: One creature, Attack: Strength vs. AC, Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you grab the target. The grab ends automatically at the end of your next turn.
      • Weapon Master's Strike Melee weapon, Target: One creature, Effect: Before making this attack, you may sheathe a weapon and draw a different one as a free action. Attack: Strength vs. AC, Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage. In addition, the target takes an additional effect based on the weapon you wield. Axe: The target takes extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier. Mace: You slide the target 1 square. Heavy Blade: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +1 power bonus to AC against the targetís attacks. Spear or Polearm: Until the end of your next turn, the target provokes opportunity attacks from you when it shifts.
      • Funneling Flurry Melee weapon, Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons. Targets: Two creatures, Attack: Strength vs. AC (main weapon and off-hand weapon), one attack per target, Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you slide the target 1 square.
      • Shove and Slap Melee 1, Requirement: You must be using a shield. Primary Target: One creature, Primary Attack: Strength + 3 vs. Fortitude, Hit: 2d10 + Strength modifier damage, and you push the primary target a number of squares equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier. You can shift 1 square into the space your target occupied. Miss: Half damage, and you push the primary target 1 square. Effect: Make a secondary attack. Secondary Target: One creature other than the primary target, Secondary Attack: Strength + 3 vs. Fortitude, Hit: Strength modifier damage, and the secondary target is dazed (save ends).
      • Item Powers
      • none yet
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:25 pm. »
Member
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 378
He may not be menacing looking. He may not look alive. Koliak 'Lo Pagon' is certainly both. Otherwise known as the pusher, this crystal-being talks constantly of the world being like a game-board. His mathematical dialogue usually leaves many confused. Koliak has been mostly left alone, because he seems mostly harmless.

If there was a label to go with Koliak, it would read 'Cog in the wheel'. His quick thinking and the ability to manipulate objects & people, like pieces of the environment, has proven instrumental in making him a big part of any team. Things just tend to work better with him around.

"The initiate sequence will have us moving together." says Koliak to those around him. He blinks. Atleast you think it is his eyes blinking. He seems to be thinking, and begins rattling off some numbers. "Two plus two is four. Odd one out. Should be five. Less than the others. Necessary and sufficient conditions have been met. I am ready." says a confident looking piece of shard.
« Last edit by DasachTra7 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:27 pm. »
Member
Registered: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Jak looked around for the other members of his new crew. He had survived the years in the tower, and now he could have a crew again. For a moment, Jak wondered whether the team color was significant... Blood red? Was Jak's crew going to be sent out like raiders? Tower missions were a favorite speculators sport for students. He saw the other Initiates in the green crew consisting of elves, a shifter, a wilden and some other races which were a match for personality and demeanor of nature and wild life. But Jak noticed the inconsistency that stopped his wondering. Gold on the crew he had studied with under the Head Priest. Humility and graciousness had only lasted inside the classrooms. It had turned quickly to a virulent scorn and hate due to Jak's race. A noble gold on them meant that the colors were indeed random.

Jak was tempted to reconsider his pondering when he saw his crew though...

He noticed Corvan first; not surprisingly, sizing up the other crews. Red suited the warrior in Corvan. Their sparring was always intense and Jak learned from each encounter. They had talked while they had the rare break in training. Talked of their past, even though the Tower said that we didn't have one, and had found common ground. Of all the Tower students, Jak felt the strongest bond with Corvan and Jak was glad to be in the same crew with him. They would watch each others' backs on whatever missions the Commandant sent them on, because Corvan understood the importance of a crew.

Next was Tchort and inevitably, Hammer. The Shadow Tower knew that Hammer was Tchort's preferred instrument, so it made sense to put them in the same crew. Blood red suited them most of all out of this group of Initiates. Rumors abounded about Tchort and what he was supposedly responsible for. Most of the rumors involved Hammer, in one way or another, putting one of the students in the medical care of Jak's master, the Head Priest. It made for great hands-on demonstrations and practice for Jak, but it put a strong wariness in him regarding Tchort. Rumors were often founded on truth and when so many existed about the same person, one had to give a grudging credence to them.

Jak noticed another with a red sleeve walking up to his crew. Jak had never seen the being made of red crystal before. It didn't look like it was nimble enough to be one of the students that trained under the Night Lord. Those students always tried their best to keep out of sight and their eyes were always darting around. This being didn't even have proper eyes! Just a constant glow from within where eyes should have been. The being stood next to Jak when it reached the crew. It didn't have the faint odor that followed most of the mage students and it had no real weapons upon it. How would it fight and defend itself? Jak was curious about it... would his God's healing gifts affect such a being? It had no mouth, how will it speak to me? Jak trusted that the Commandant wouldn't make a student an Initiate if it wasn't beneficial to the Tower, but Jak couldn't see what the Tower saw. If the crew's red color fit this being, it was only evident in the being's own natural coloration.

The last member of the crew that Jak noticed definitely didn't fit the color. Gray would have been a perfect match. This man looked sallow and faded. His eyes took everything in, but it didn't seem to register to him. Apathy seemed to roll off of him like a fog. Jak had seen this one during his training in the weapon's yard. He was quick with his bladework and footing from what Jak had seen, but it had perplexed him somewhat that he did not train much with the others under the Battle Sergeant. When Jak had come to stand with his crew, this one had considered him briefly before his gaze began to wander. Jak wondered if he had met with an expectation or had yet to meet one...

Jak steps closer to where Corvan stands. "Well met Corvan. It puts me at ease to be in a crew with someone as capable as yourself."
Jak gestures to the other crews and in a lower voice, asks; "Do you think we will fair well in the coming test?"

User posted image

  •  Jak
    • Male Minotaur Paladin 1
    • Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 18
    • AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:11, Will:14 - Speed:5
    • HP:27/27, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:12/12
    •  
    • Powers
      • Ardent Strike (Standard; Melee; Str vs AC; 1W+4; Can use while charging. Hit: Target is subject to my Divine Sanction UENT)
      • Holy Strike (Standard; Melee; Str vs AC; 1W+4 Radiant Damage; If I marked the target: +3 damage)
      • Divine Challenge (Minor; Close Burst 5; Single target is marked by me. 5 Radiant damage if mark is violated)
      • Lay on Hands (Minor; Uses left: 3/3; Touch; I spend a Healing Surge, target gains HP as if they had spent a Healing Surge)
      • Second Wind (Lose surge, gain 6 HP, +2 def)
      • Action Point x1 (Gain action)
      • Goring Charge (Standard; Melee; Str+4 vs AC; 1d6+4; Can use while charging; Target is knocked prone)
      • Valorous Smite (Standard; Melee; Cha vs AC; 2W+2; Each enemy within 3 squares of me is subject to Divine Sanction UENT)
      • Divine Mettle (Minor; Channel Divinity; Close Burst 10; Target makes a saving throw with bonus equal to my Cha)
      • Divine Strength (Minor; Channel Divinity; Personal; Apply extra Str damage on next attack this turn)
      • Blood of the Mighty (Standard; Melee; Reliable; Str vs AC; 4W+4; I take 5 damage, which can't be reduced in any way)
       
    • Items
      • Falchion (+3 Prof, 2d4 dam)
      • Plate Armor (+8 AC, -2 armor check, -1 speed)
       
    • Abilities
      • Basic Melee Attack +8 (+4 Str, +3 Prof, +1 Feat, +0 lvl)
      • Basic Melee Damage 2d4+4 (2d4 Falchion, +4 Str)
      • Ferocity (Make a melee basic attack when dropped to 0 HP)
      • Heedless Charge (+2 AC vs OA while charging)
      • Vitality (Gain 1 healing surge)
      • Channel Divinity (Invoke a Channel Divinity power or class feature; Encounter)
      • Lay on Hands (Gain Lay on Hands at-will power; Minor)
      • Divine Challenge (Gain Divine Challenge at-will power; Minor)
       
    • Skills
      • Acrobatics -3
      • Arcana +0
      • Athletics +2
      • Bluff +2
      • Diplomacy +2
      • Dungeoneering +3
      • Endurance +4
      • Heal +8
      • History +0
      • Insight +8
      • Intimidate +2
      • Nature +5
      • Perception +5
      • Religion +5
      • Stealth -3
      • Streetwise +2
      • Thievery -3


_______________
Jak - Minotaur Paladin 1, The Dark Campaign<br>
Narg - Razorclaw Shifter Scout 6, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Corvan nods to Jak in greeting, clasping arms with him briefly. "Jak. As long as we remember that the battle isn't over until we've won, we'll fare well. You and I can be the wedge and the others can be our harriers. I have doubts about that one though...." indicating the shardmind, Koliak, "...mumbling about numbers isn't a good way to face the odds. I never liked working with casters, but it sure as hell is better working with them than against them, eh." he chuckles, looking outwardly relaxed and again nodding his head up at some of the golds across the way.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Member
Registered: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Jak looks around at the other crews and tries to remember anything about the individual members that might prove useful in the coming test.

"Better with than against indeed. It wouldn't have been raised to Initiate if it was not proficient in it's own discipline. The Tower doesn't cultivate weakness. The real question, is how it will help during the test...?" Jak turns to the crystalline member at the end of his statement, turning it into an open question.

OOC: We've trained in the same tower for years, is it safe to assume that we know some of the capabilities of the other students, (especially those who share a discipline like divine, martial, or otherwise) in the teams? Also, unless the students watching from the windows and balconies are cleared out before the test starts, do we know what the test entails? Fight to the death? Capture the flag? Jeopardy quiz?
_______________
Jak - Minotaur Paladin 1, The Dark Campaign<br>
Narg - Razorclaw Shifter Scout 6, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Jak looks around at the other teams while speaking to Corvan. He only knows that the Test is different every year, and always a secret. It has never been a brawl to the death in the parade grounds, as typically the teams are taken elsewhere.

He does recall that a couple of years back, one team apparently "failed" the Test, and all team members were sent back into the ranks of the students, deemed unworthy for service at that time.

For all his recollection, his thoughts are interrupted as the black-cloaked figure of the Commandant himself appears on the balcony of his tower.

"Initiates, this is your moment. This is what you have trained for. This is the Test!"

The doors to the Commandant's Tower open suddenly, revealing only blackness within. Instructors prod the gold team in first. You follow, with the green team bringing up the rear.

The inside of the tower is not as dark and dim as it seemed from the outside. Candles lend a measure of warm light and the stonework is covered in rich tapestries depicting epic battles from wars you do not recall, if indeed they ever happened. With nothing to do but follow, you traverse the entry, and proceed up several flights of circular stone stairs to a room you judge to be about halfway up the tower itself. Small windows show you to be roughly 50 feet up, though it is impossible to tell for sure.

Arriving at an ante-chamber filled with rigid wooden chairs, you stop. The room is large, larger than it seemed the tower would be at this height. A small wooden staircase disappears upwards, but that seems to be the only other entrance than the one you came through. Once the others file into the room behind you, the door is closed shut, and you hear the unmistakable sound of a heavy bolt being drawn, locking you in. Too tense to sit, you stand, looking warily at the other teams, wondering what will happen next.

Fortunately, you don't have to wait long. A small segment of the stone wall pushes inward and to the side, and the Commandant himself walks in. This is the first time you have seen him up close, and still you cannot tell the nature of the man.

User posted image

He is dressed head to toe in black, only his eyes visible from underneath his robes and armor. He looks remarkably comfortable with the blade he carries, but you are unable to tell anything else about the man. "Initiates, the Test is upon us! Each team must choose a leader for itself, and the leaders shall decide in what order the teams will compete. Further instructions will be given when needed."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"Hammer, come." With a snort, Tchort looks about an realizes that he's been mostly isolated from his crew. He had Hammer, but that looked to be all. Very well, he thought. Time to figure out what he could make of those bearing the red stripe. Who looked to be his greatest rival? Easy...

Sliding up to Corvan, he smiles and says, "Ahh, well met. It seems fate has decided to place us, though we've had few dealings these past few years, on the same side. Knowing that we have your strong hand, along with Jak here, I'm certain that we'll have little trouble with any physical parts of the Test. And Jak, I must say, I'm glad we put that most unfortunate understanding behind us. I am so sorry about that. Hammer, I fear, wasn't fully trained in the niceties of polite company then. Still, all escaped with nothing more than a few dents and bruises. Haha. Welcome aboard."

With a nod and smile, Tchort greats each team member in turn. With a brief look at Koliak, he makes an almost mocking bow. "Ahh, we meet again. After I was moved on to different training, I thought we wouldn't see each other again. Of course, I was bounced from the Night Lord's purview almost as quickly... It is just delightful to make your acquaintance again."

Finally, he overcomes the twisting and revulsion in his stomach to offer a hand to Dwimmerlaik. "Looks like we're teaming up for the first time. It is most unfortunate we haven't had the opportunity to work together before."
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Walking towards the dark opening, Corvan turns his head as Tchort addresses him and grunts non-commitally with a sceptical look. "Funny how your name sounds like someone clearing their throat, yet you manage to talk to sweetly. Well, past dealings aside, this is one skirmish where we must work smoothly together to succeed, no matter our styles." he responds and shifts his gait just so slightly, in order to keep Tchort and Hammer in his peripheral vision as they walk into darkness.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Member
Registered: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
OOC: Tchort and Koliak have the same character text color?

With a snort, Jak mutters to Corvan, "Misunderstandings end with three broken bones and a collapsed lung on whoever Hammer got ahold of? The student had been muttering incoherently about the attack even as the Head Priest instructed us to Lay on Hands..."

To Tchort, "You've trained with this being before, Tchort?", gesturing to the humanoid crystal.
_______________
Jak - Minotaur Paladin 1, The Dark Campaign<br>
Narg - Razorclaw Shifter Scout 6, Points of Light
« Last edit by Daniel on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:29 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: I thought I'd try maroon for text color, but it is too close to Corvan's now that I look at it on a different monitor. I'l pick another one. Probably orange/red

With spread hands and an oddly flat grin, Tchort replies to Jak's aside. "As I said, it was a horrible misunderstanding. Hammer interpreted the slap on the back as a form of aggression. It was awfully hard... I had a bruise from it.

Koliak? I wouldn't call him a thing. He's quite clever and capable."
Under his breath, "too clever..." Oh, I imagine I've trained with just about everyone at one time or another. Never seemed to find a good fit though... I spent a brief week under the careful watch of the Lord of the Mind's Eye. Turns out my talents lie mostly elsewhere."
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Member
Registered: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Jak gapes at the mention of the Lord of the Mind's Eye. Mind magic! He uses MIND MAGIC!! The one discipline that unnerved Jak because he found it beyond his understanding.

Jak turns to Koliak and says, "I apologize for any affront, I have simply never beheld one of your race before."
_______________
Jak - Minotaur Paladin 1, The Dark Campaign<br>
Narg - Razorclaw Shifter Scout 6, Points of Light
Member
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 378
Koliak's eyes brighten a bit as he becomes the topic of conversation. He does have a humanoid face, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and all, except that is a crystal form in a reddish hue.

"I am Koliak 'Lo Pagon'. I am a shardmind. I have seen all of you around at moments in time, indeed, and my calculations based on your abilities has us as an odds-on favorite for this test. Anomalies may occur, but this has been factored in." says Koliak.

You see his fingers twitch a bit as he thinks after speaking, as if adding or solving some formula in his mind.

"As some of you may be aware, I am a PKer, with training in advance cerebral energy physics, or ACEP." offers Koliak, then he turns towards Corvan & Jak. "I see no reason that we will not be able to compliment each other during the tests and beyond. This does not account for mistrust, ego, paranoia, or any narcissistic behavior. Factoring all this together, proves to be quite the challenge. I'm up for it. How about you?" asks Koliak. You notice a piece of crystal rise up over his eye, similar to one raising an eyebrow.
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Corvan too raises and eyebrow as he hears Koliak and sees the thing mimic human behavior. The better to fit in he reckons. At the last, he expels a quick bark of a laugh. "Ha! Mistrust, ego, paranoia, or any narcissistic behavior can never be factored into the dynamics of battle. When armies meet in conflict, the one brave trumpet man can turn the entire tide, just as the one overzealous buffoon can kill thousands. The best you can do is recognize the signs as quickly as possible, then adapt to take advantage or control the damage. Just make sure you don't physic anything at me and you'll do fine." he ends, nodding once yet not quite turning his back on Koliak.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Hammer enters the room with Tchort. Soon, sees the red stripe and looks around for the others on his side. Hammer sees Tchort also has a red stripe. Hammer knows colors are teams for event. Hammer happy Tchort on same team.

Hammer thinks of them all. Tchort, one of the ancient ones, who always knows what Hammer should do. Hammer was glad to find him. He was lost before. Now, all he has to do is complete tasks set by Tchort. Jak and Corvan were alike. Strong. Fight hard. Test Hammer. Help Hammer learn when to stop hitting. In past, Hammer was to hit until person could not move. Hammer does not know others. One looks dead. Not just recent dead, with bloodloss, like Hammer has seen before. Long dead. By some other means. And walks and talks. Strange. Last one is walking crystal. Also strange. Break with Hammer? Unsure. Might need test someday. Tchort will know. Ask later.

Tchort speaking. Says to follow. "Yes, Tchort." Hammer follows and waits while Tchort talks with others. Tchort smart. Good at talking. Hammer listens to the Commandant. Speaks up before others. "Tchort should be leader. Always know what to do." Unusual for Hammer to speak without a question. Tchort leads Hammer. Should lead all.

  •  Hammer
    • Male Warforged Barbarian 1
    • Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
    • AC:16, Fort:16, Reflex:13, Will:12 - Speed:6
    • HP:31/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:11/11
    •  
    • Powers
      • Howling Strike (AC; W+1d6+4; Can use on a charge; Rage: 2 extra sq on charge)
      • Recuperating Strike (AC; W+4; Gain 3 THP; Rage: Gain 8 THP)
      • Second Wind (Lose surge, gain 7 HP, +2 def)
      • Action Point x1 (Gain action)
      • Warforged Resolve (Minor: 3 THP, Saving Throw vs. OGD, regain 3 HP if bloodied)
      • Swift Charge (Free, when you reduce an enemy to 0 HP, charge enemy)
      • Avalanche Strike (AC; 3W+4+3, attackers gain +4 to hit me USNT)
      • Tyrant's Rage (AC; 2W+4, dazed (SE); URE, push adj enemies 1 sq as minor; Miss: 1/2 dam, dazed UENT)
       
    • Items
      • Maul (+2 Prof, 2d6 dam)
      • Hide Armor (+3 AC, -1 armor check)
       
    • Abilities
      • Basic Melee Attack +6 (+4 Str, +2 Prof, +0 lvl)
      • Basic Melee Damage 2d6+4 (2d6 Maul, +4 Str)
      • Living Construct (No need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep)
      • Warforged Mind (+1 Will)
      • Warforged Resilience (+2 to saves vs. OGD)
      • Unsleeping Watcher (4 hrs of inactivity counts as extended rest)
      • Barbarian Agility (+1 AC/Ref when not in heavy armor)
      • Improved Rageblood Vigor (Gain 8 THP when dropping enemy to 0 HP)
      • Rampage (Critical hit grants free MBA)
       
    • Skills
      • Acrobatics +1
      • Arcana -1
      • Athletics +8
      • Bluff +1
      • Diplomacy +1
      • Dungeoneering +0
      • Endurance +9
      • Heal +0
      • History -1
      • Insight +0
      • Intimidate +8
      • Nature +0
      • Perception +0
      • Religion -1
      • Stealth +1
      • Streetwise +1
      • Thievery +1


User posted image
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:43 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Corvan looks at Hammer, unsurprised at the unsolicited declaration of faith in his slavemaster. One day he'll learn the value of freedom. He then looks to the master of the two, wondering with a chuckle to himself if he uses the lash of his tail or the lash of his tongue to command Hammer.

"Let's see what happens...." he thinks to himself,
"...will he choose to relinquish control or choose to risk what special trickery the Commandant will surely have in store for the leader if any of the stories are to be believed."

Aloud Corvan remarks, "Go ahead, we need a figurehead for our nameless band of disparates and....whatever the rest of you are. Just be sure not to give any orders we can't follow."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
With a slight head nod to Corvan, Tchort says, "Ahh, how clever. As the only one who has actually observed everyone in training, it does make some sense to have me as the nominal figurehead. Very well. If it pleases the rest of the group, I shall try and take up the mantle of duty Corvan has been so kind to lay before me. That is, unless someone is dissatisfied with Corvan's choice?"
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Member
Registered: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
At Koliak's reassurances, Jak thinks, "PK? ACEP? Calculations? I hope that means he isn't mad enough to use his mind magic on me..." Jak's musings are cut short though as Hammer makes his declaration.

On the verge of tossing Corvan's name in for leader, the man himself gives Tchort his own vote. Jak considers; "Corvan usually doesn't do things without a reason."

Aloud,"I will agree to Tchort as the leader, for now. "
_______________
Jak - Minotaur Paladin 1, The Dark Campaign<br>
Narg - Razorclaw Shifter Scout 6, Points of Light
« Last edit by Daniel on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:15 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Dwimmerlaik looks around at the others gloomily. "All paths lead to the grave, even my own one day, when my suffering ends. It matters not to me who leads us along that road."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Member
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 378
"Since we are at an early decision, I must express concern for a choice so early. It is my opinion, that this particular event may need to be revisited at a later date. Perhaps as soon as the tests are finalized." offers Koliak.

Again, his right hand fingers twitch a bit. What exactly is he doing with his fingers?

"To make things clear, there remains a high probability that Tchort will still remain our leader. To make things even more clear, I do not wish to have leadership." finishes Koliak, and he gently nods at Corvan.

At this point, Koliak stares off at the other teams, his fingers continue to twitch, and it almost seems as if he is doing something. To them? In his own head? More calculations?
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Tchort takes a half step in front of his team, awaiting the other team's results. It wouldn't do to go first. It would be best to try and see what was ahead of them. Turning towards the green team, "Koliak here is willing to give you the option of going first, before the Masters make adjustments to the Test after seeing the first team in action."
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Corvan shakes his head slightly at Tchort's insinuation that Koliak suggested the green team go first. Not that he can be sure of what Koliak said with his cryptic speech, but there didn't seem to be any mention of other teams. Well, good to know that the shardmind sees this at Tchort's trial run at leadership he thinks to himself.

Out loud but quietly to Tchort, "Not bad letting the enemy make the first move in a three way skirmish. Many times winning isn't about being better, but merely making fewer mistakes. Let them make their first."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
From the gold team steps a tall elven woman you know to be named Elyrrah. She holds her greatbow as though it is an extension of her arm, black cloak arrayed behind her slim body. The green team seems to take an opposite approach, as Garrl turns to face Tchort. "Is the little person too afraid? I will gladly lead my team first." Little is a relative term, as compared to Garrl even Jak is little. The goliath stands nearly nine feet tall, among the largest you have ever heard of his race. A sword that would have taken most humans both hands to barely lift is wielded easily by the primal being - you know him to be training as a warden - in his off hand, and it is rumored he can even throw the blade with accuracy across a room and through a practice dummy.

The Commandant assesses the three leaders and, after a nod from Elyrrah, turns and walks up the stairs, the green team following a few steps behind.

Not more than ten minutes later, the team reappears. Garrl wears a smile nearly as large as the man himself. "That was a piece of cake... or a piece of bard." He sits down, taking several chairs to support his bulk. "Let us see how the rest of you can do".

Elyrrah approaches Tchort. "Would you like to go next? Whatever you decide is fine with me."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Member
Registered: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Jak takes the two steps to put himself between Garrl and Tchort's flank. "I might have to protect the crew before we've even taken the blasted test..."

Jak snorts at Garrl, "Your test probably had to be dumbed-down for you to pass." Jak effects the Commandant's speech, "Not too bright eh? Lift this big rock and your crew passes"
_______________
Jak - Minotaur Paladin 1, The Dark Campaign<br>
Narg - Razorclaw Shifter Scout 6, Points of Light
« Last edit by Daniel on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:58 pm. »

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » The Dark Campaign » Initiates!

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software