DeadGoblins.com » Points of Light » The Chamber of Eyes (Part I of Thunderspire Labyrinth)

The Chamber of Eyes (Part I of Thunderspire Labyrinth)

Moderators: Emily, Gary, Jonathan Berg, Josh, Michael Doss, Viktor.

Page: « < ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
During the party's brief rest to recover, Harkin washes his face in the water and examines the bath room and statue.
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Harkin washes up in the chamber with the fresh water supply, pool, and statue. Once his face and especially his nose are cleared of blood and grime, his keen sense of smell detects a brimstone-like odor within the room. Honing in on the smell, he sees a loose tile in the statue's pedestal and pries it open. He finds metal contraption inside that resembles the shape of an arm and fist, but is hollow and just the right size to slide ones own arm in. The "metal arm" has a a flush panel with tightly wound springs on the inside and small claw-like grips that could hold an item the size of a small flash. The outside metal looks likes it's seen a lot of damage, appearing scorched and scoured yet still intact.


User posted image
(Alchemical Launcher)

Meanwhile, Susana Wrafton watches Azad leave the kitchen area without a word and hears her and Corydimbiddle talking in the main chamber although she can't make out the words. The innkeeper looks at Edeya and smiles hesitatingly, fearful and quite obviously still manacled on one ankle with the chain attached to the wall.

OOC: Tsk, tsk, nobody cares about the rescued innkeeper. Negative karma for all of Light's Shadow.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:34 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Uncertain what to make of the chains, Edeya asks Susana "What do you know of these chains? How can we get you out?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: What is this thing?

Careful to not put his hand inside the metal arm, Harkin carries it for Corydimbiddle's inspection.
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Corydimbiddle makes his way to the innkeeper, and investigates the locks, before easily popping them. "Do you know where Anna is? We need to find her."

The gnome walks out of the room and finds the nearest goblin, looking like he gains two feet in height. "Who did you sell these slaves to? I need to know!"

OOC: The launcher is something on my wishlist, if I remember correctly. Apparently it is a warforged item (which it doesn't say on the old CB version). It would help with alchemical item attacks, assuming I ever pick some I want.

Thievery check (+7 skill, +2 tools) (1d20+9=27)

Intimidate check (+2 skill) (1d20+2=17)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Susana looks at Edeya and says, "I think it's just a normal chain with a lock. I've had it on ever since they brought me here.....Your name is Enya, right?" It's clear that she is still in some sort of shock or has been strongly affected by her captivity.

When Corydimbiddle unlocks the manacles from Susana, she says thank you to him quietly and responds to his question. "Anna....oh dear. You're Unca Cory aren't you? I remember now...Anna kept telling her grandfather Eilian that you'll come to rescue her like you did before when her parents were murdered. But you didn't come....and they took her away...." she trails off.

Not getting an immediate answer, Corydimbiddle storms back out to the main chamber and all but screams at the nearest goblin who shrinks back in sudden fear. "Hunh? The slaves, yes, we...I mean Krand...that bastard, sold them to the usual clients. They're a bunch of dark, bald, mean-looking dwarves that hang-out somewhere in the Labyrinth. None of us know who exactly since only Krand dealt with them. He'd know, but well, he's dead now isn't he. Maybe he kept a diary or something..." he finishes stupidly, clearly fearful and trying his best to help Corydimbiddle.

OOC: Although the online compendium states that the alchemical launcher only works for constructs (and you're right, they must have changed it at some point), the offline CB as well as the online CB allow you to equip it. Regardless of actually equipping it, the benefit can be used and I've decided you can keep it. The actual benefit is by preventing OA with alchemical ranged attacks. The +1 bonus to such attack rolls is not cumulative with your alchemy gloves bonus though, and the gloves have the higher +2 attack bonus anyhow.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: Josh, you owe me a beer when I head to Irvine for a job interview. Perhaps we should consider looting the rest of this floor if awesome magical items are just sitting behind stones?

Harkin hears the mention of dwarves buying slaves and nearly chokes on his own tongue. "Gah. Dwarves lacking honor...Bah!" With the final word, he spits. "What become of Eilian?"

With that, Harkin begins to listlessly roam the room, clearly agitated yet uncomfortable discussing the captivity Susana underwent.
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Susana looks at Harkin, frowning at first, and then her face lighting up. "Harkin! It's you. I remember when you first came to Winterhaven years ago, quiet and uncomfortable in what you felt was a huge town. You asked to sleep in the barn instead of the regular rooms. I'm glad to see you've decided to help Azad and the others do some good."

Her face then saddens as she thinks of Eilian. "As you know, Eilian is Anna's grandfather and was just as devastated by his daughter's death, Anna's mother, as the little girl was. Unlike Anna though, he was much further on in years and not as resilient as a young child. He nearly didn't survive the journey from Winterhaven to this underground place. Many times, when he would falter while walking or not respond to commands quickly, some of the hobbies would beat and ridicule him. Especially that short fat one, Balgron. Anna would always try to intervene by biting, kicking shins, or spitting as her only weapons. It was no good though."

"Luckily nothing terrible happened because their leader, Tra'ak, would always step in and force Balgron or the other mean-spirited hobbies to stop their tormenting. Actually, once, Tra'ak even threatened to kill one of his men if he didn't stop tripping up Eilian on purpose. Well, the hobbie must not have taken it seriously and continued. Next thing, his head was rolling in the dirt. If I didn't know better, I would say Tra'ak would rather of let us all go than take us as slaves."

"In any case, when we were all presented to the chieftain Krand the first day down here he somehow decided what we were "worth" as slaves and who should be sold or put to labor even though he never even looked at us. He was just given a list with our names and descriptions. Well, the hobbies were separating Eilian and Anna to take them different places, but Anna kicked one of them, crawled beneath another's legs, then grabbed a sword lying around. She looked like murder was on her mind, only she couldn't lift the blade. She was hit hard and Eilian tried to cover her with his body so he was also beaten. It seemed like they would be killed right there, but Tra'ak spoke up again to stop the violence. He ordered that Eilian and Anna remain together wherever they be sent."

"As you can see, I was put to work here as a cooking slave while the others were taken away. I later heard how Krand threatened to kill Tra'ak for disobeying orders and stopping the beating of Eilian and Anna. They had some sort of big fight, according to the other hobbies, and Tra'ak took his most loyal men and women and left the clan. I don't know what became of him and sadly I don't know what became of Eilian, Anna, or the other Winterhavians. Even though there's been lots of talk in this dining room, nobody ever said where they were sent."


She then sighs deeply and shudders violently, shaking all her limbs. Once done, she stands up straight with renewed energy. It seems that talking about the ordeal they went through has at least partially helped her on the way to recovery.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Oh, Anna... We will save you. We should bring Miss Wrafton back to the town here and rest before searching again. Oh, and let me try this key." Corydimbiddle walks over to the chest and tries the key on it.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Harkin and Edeya tend to Susana Wrafton. Meanwhile Demuriath makes himself all but invisible in a dark corner, while Azad is still busy scraping bones off her new armor and dreaming how gallant she's going to look in it.

The various surviving Bloodreavers realize there's nothing left for them here without a leader and depart. The dire wolf follows them to the exit and then stands there keeping guard.

Corydimbiddle visualizes the lock that would fit the key on Krand's body and realizes it must be for the chest in the chieftain's room. He heads back there and opens the chest without incident. Inside he finds one healing potion, various gems worth about 1000 gp, and what looks like a ledger. Flipping through it quickly, he finds the names of Anna, Eilian, and the other Winterhavians. It says that they were sold a few weeks ago. The name of the buyer is "Grimmerzhul". Thinking for a moment, Corydimbiddle moves to the table and grabs the slave incentive program, annotated map of the Labyrinth, and personal letter connected with Grimmerzhul.

OOC: Gold Group Total: 3355 (6/19/10) = 671 per PC. Are Lights Shadow going back to the Halfmoon Inn now, going elsewhere, or still staying to do something more in this place? I need a group decision or some actions.

Encounters completed this day: 5
Magic Weapon bonus (+1/+3):
Readied Powers: fade away, iron mind
Initiative
Demuriath: 41/41 (1/10, 2 AP)
Edeya: 38/40 (1/8, 1 AP)
Azad: 52/52 (2/13, 1 AP)
Corydimbiddle: 36/40 (1/7, 0 AP)
Harkin: 42/44 (1/10, 1 AP) dwarf form
Dire Wolf:
Susana Wrafton:

User posted image
  •  Features

      Features
      Ceiling: 25 feet high.
      Doors: All doors are closed at first, preventing line of sight beyond. Once opened with a minor action, the map and enemies beyond will be revealed. The doors at R7 and i6 are currently closed.
      Bath Chamber: A large pool fills the southern half of this room. The pool is 5 feet deep. A statue rises from the pool, depicting a creature that is half-woman, half-sea serpent. An underground stream replenishes the water.
      Fireplace: This fireplace is full of burning embers. A creature that enters either square (J1, K1) or starts its turn in there takes 1d6 fire damage.
      Chains: Manacles secured to a large chain fill the middle of of the chamber. These squares are difficult terrain.
      Balcony: The balcony in Location is 10 feet above the floor.
      Statue: This idol is about 5 feet tall. The four squares of the pedestal can be climbed with athletics or acrobatics.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: Inn and extended rest.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Agreed.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
OOC: I assume a complete search of the hidden rooms first?
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Agreed to both of those.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Clearly tired and concerned for Susana, Edeya agrees with the sentiment of the others. "Let's take Susana back to a safe place. After we rest, we can try to find the local slave master - Kedhira Fireweaver. I'll also ask the historian about the Dread Lord Murklemore Foerender; he seems to be in charge of the whole slave trade."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
OOC: Okay, sounds like search the other rooms here and then go back to the Halfmoon Inn. Amy and I have this week off work and fun things planned throughout so I'll get to that sometime today or tomorrow. Meanwhile, Emily, by "Murklemore Foerender" do you mean the same as Murklemore Grimmerzhul? Is there a reference there I'm not getting or did I post differing names?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Viktor wrote
Meanwhile, Emily, by "Murklemore Foerender" do you mean the same as Murklemore Grimmerzhul? Is there a reference there I'm not getting or did I post differing names?


OOC: Edeya will want to track down and/or inquire about these two people:
User posted image
User posted image
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Wanting to head back to the Seven Pillared Hall soon, you quickly spread out and search the remaining rooms for any clues about the missing Winterhavians. Azad, drawn to the two northern bedrooms because she spied a bookshelf in one of them, rummages around in that area. Most of the books she finds appear to be trashy adventure novels from the Famous Five series. She smiles fondly remembering reading all of them before, and how the unlikely group of youngsters composed of a fighter, a ranger, a sorcerer, a wizard, and a warlord manage to always figure things out in the nick of time.

There is one book however that catches Azad's interest keenly. Amidst several dusty tomes that look like instructions for day-to-day priestly rituals, she finds a well-used, unmarked, smaller book with a plain black leather-bound cover. Opening it, she immediately recognizes it as somebody's journal. Picking an entry randomly, she tries to read a little, but it is in an ancient script she doesn't know. Instinctively, she decides to take the journal with her for later examination.

After your thorough search, which yields no know clues or treasures, you gather just outside the Chamber of Eyes and plan to head to the Halfmoon Inn with Susana Wrafton. Sensing your imminent departure, the dire wolf nudges Harkin's thigh with its nose and makes a low-pitched growling sound.

OOC: Azad found the "Journal of Taurus Zabath". I've included it in the key items section with the other books on our PoL wiki. The group now has a total of three books. Feel free to RP/discuss events some until I can post your return to the Seven Pillared Hall. EDIT: The Key Items can now be found in the "PoL Wiki Links & Factions/Groups & Key Items" thread here on deadgoblins.

Encounters completed this day: 5
Magic Weapon bonus (+1/+3):
Readied Powers: fade away, iron mind
Initiative
Demuriath: 41/41 (1/10, 2 AP)
Edeya: 38/40 (1/8, 1 AP)
Azad: 52/52 (2/13, 1 AP)
Corydimbiddle: 36/40 (1/7, 0 AP)
Harkin: 42/44 (1/10, 1 AP) dwarf form
Dire Wolf:
Susana Wrafton:
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Azad spends all her spare time reading about the Famous Five, and can't help but feel that her favorite character is the sorcerer. He sounds so dashing and handsome!
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya silently fumes over the injustice being allowed in the Seven Pillared Hall. She vows to do all in her power to bring down those who profit from the slave trade.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Whether with dreamy thoughts or determinination, Lights Shadows make their way back along the labyrinthine passages towards the Seven Pillared Hall. This time, both Harkin and Corydimbiddle are able to navigate the way safely. Shortly before you reach the Dragon Door the dire wolf intentionally steps in front of Harkin and looks him in the eye. The wolf growls deeply, as if trying to convey some crucial meaning, then swishes its tail twice, and abruptly bites Harkin hard in the forearm. The teeth dig in and rake his skin simultaneously. Before anyone can react, the dire wolf bounds away into the darkness from which you came. Looking at his arm, Harkin grimaces at the bloody mess (5 damage) and quickly applies a makeshift bandage before nodding his approval to move on.

You once more enter the Seven Pillared Hall and wonder at the magnificence of this immense chamber with numerous magical globes lighting the cavern. Weary from you trek into the Labyrinth and all the fighting, you hastily walk to the central bridge on your way to the Halfmoon Inn. As you reach the middle of the bridge a loud voice booms. "Halt! You are under arrest by order of the Ordinator Arcanis! Drop your weapons!" Looking towards the voice you see the ogre Brugg emerge next to a building. Next to him, you see a dog of some sort, all aflame. Instinctively you look around and now see several hobgoblin archers and even what look like two spellcasters emerge from their hiding places.

User posted image
(Seven Pillared Hall - red star indicates party location)

OOC: Battle has not yet begun. RP at will. Initiative is set.

Encounters completed this day: 5
Magic Weapon bonus (+1/+3):
Readied Powers: fade away, iron mind
Initiative
Edeya: 38/40 (1/8, 1 AP)
Azad: 52/52 (2/13, 1 AP)
Brugg:
Flame Canine:
Demuriath: 41/41 (1/10, 2 AP)
Pink Archer:
Turquoise Archer:
Yellow Archer:
Red Archer:
Green Archer:
Blue Archer:
Harkin: 37/44 (1/10, 1 AP) dwarf form
Orange Spellcaster:
Light Blue Spellcaster:
Corydimbiddle: 36/40 (1/7, 0 AP)
Susana Wrafton:

User posted image
  •  Features

      Features
      Ceiling: 100 feet high.
      Illumination: Dim light but enough to see unhindered.
      Bridge: The wooden bridge spans the cold water of the river that flows through the Hall. The bridge is sturdy and more than 10 feet wide. The bridge has high rails to help prevent mishaps. The bridge is 5 feet above the water’s surface. The edges of the bridge require a DC 20 Athletics check to climb up onto from out of the stream water.
      Ledge: The ledge up to the minotaur statue is 10 feet high and requires a DC 15 Athletics check to climb. Using the stairs to climb up is simply difficult terrain. Stairs: The stairs are treated as normal terrain and leads up the ledge to the minotaur statue.
      Stream: The stream is 5 feet deep and each stream square is considered to be difficult terrain for purposes of movement. Characters in the water gain cover (-2 to attack rolls) except against attacks from submerged enemies. Fighting in the water imposes a -2 penalty.
      Purple Colored Pillar: The purple, circular area indicates one of the seven pillars in the Hall. Is is impassable and provides cover/concealment from the opposite side of where you're standing next to it.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: You would think Azad would enjoy the good tiefling warlord more. I guess chicks dig the bad boys... ;)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Josh wrote
OOC: You would think Azad would enjoy the good tiefling warlord more. I guess chicks dig the bad boys... ;)
LOL!
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya asks calmly "What are the charges? and on whose authority to they come under?" She does not however drop her weapon.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Brugg looks confused for a moment at hearing Edeya's question. He frowns. He scratches his chin. He sniffs loudly.

"The charges are brawling in public spaces, destruction of property using snow and weapons, killing them hobgoblins that were conducting business with Rendil, and general disruption of peace in the Hall. My authority comes from the Mages of Saruun and me and my enforcers here are to take you in for the Ordinator Arcanis. Now drop your weapons, come quietly, or my boys will loose arrows on you. READY BOWS AND SPELLS!" he finally answers the question after thinking carefully. At his command, all six archers put arrow to string and take aim while the spellcasters raise their staffs pointing them at the bridge.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)

Page: « < ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 > »

DeadGoblins.com » Points of Light » The Chamber of Eyes (Part I of Thunderspire Labyrinth)

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software