DeadGoblins.com » Points of Light » Things to Come

Things to Come

Moderators: Emily, Gary, Jonathan Berg, Josh, Michael Doss, Viktor.

Page: < 1 2

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya replies "I am sorry, but we have not found the ..." she was about to say 'desideratum' but at the last second says " er .. missing item. However I think we can agree to investigate these goblins. I think Corydimbiddle, for one, is eager to do whatever he can to help those who've been taken."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Azad nods in agreement with Edeya. "We will not abandon Anna and Eilian to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let's hunt some hobgoblin."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya looks at Azad quizzically and then whispers to Daria "I think she must have read that in a book."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Azad glares at Edeya and mutters, "She says that like reading books is a bad thing..."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Daria listens to Edeya and nods slowly when she mentions that the item in question was not recovered. Then, as Edeya and Azad banter, Daria raises a meaningful eyebrow at Edeya. "Well, it's at least good to see that you have come out of your ordeals unscathed with your spirits still high and camaraderie evident. Maybe not completely unscathed..." she trails off when she looks at Demuriath.

Lord Padraig diplomatically comes to her rescue. "I am pleased to hear that you are so selflessly willing to help find our missing Winterhavians. I am certain that Anna, Eilian, Susana Wrafton and the others would feel at ease right now were they to know who shall come to their rescue. After all, stalwart warriors are not always knowledgeable of Tolbin's works." he says with sincerity and a twinkle in his eye at the last while looking at Azad.

He continues more earnestly. "Eager as you may be to help, I believe some thoughtful planning is advised. Given the scope of evil that nearly befell Winterhaven at Kalarel's hands, I worry that the hobgoblin and kobold involvement with him may be just the tip of affairs. That is why Valthrun is here also. I would like him and priestess Mornbrow to hear of your efforts at the Keep so that they may best advise you." he says and leans back.

The members of Light's Shadow proceed to tell what they experienced and discovered around Winterhaven and at the Keep on the Shadowfell. Thinking back on the events, and perusing some of the missives and maps discovered, the following becomes clear.

- Kalarel was a priest of Orcus who tried to open a rift to some horrible place in the Shadowfell.
- Kalarel sought a special item to help him with the rift opening ritual (the desideratum presumably, which Light's Shadow was tasked to retrieve from Gardmore Abbey, under orders of Grundelmar of the Fallcrest Council, High Priest of Pelor).
- The desideratum may have been stolen from the chamber of the rift by Lightshade, a mysterious dark lady whose allegiance is not completely known.
- Kalarel hired the Bloodreavers to secure and defend the Keep.
- Kalarel used Ninaran the Hunter to spy on Winterhaven's surroundings and take care of anyone too inquisitive. Ninaran fell afoul of the adventurers and lost her head.
- Kalarel also used Bairwin the merchant as a spy. Bairwin was apprehended just before he could sacrifice Anna to Orcus. Bairwin was also helping Ninaran.
- Kalarel in turn was working for someone else whom he called Master.
- The Bloodreavers are mostly hobgobilns, some of which are Irontooth (dead), lieutenant Balgron the Fat, Commander Tra'ak, and General Krand (only mentioned so far, but not met).
- The Bloodreavers were working with the kobolds near Winterhaven under the direction of Irontooth.
- Irontooth and Ninaran were also working together and both working for Kalarel.
- The Bloodreavers appear to be a mercenary type group.
- Kidnappings have been occurring throughout the Nentir Vale for several moons.
- Sir Keegan was once Commander of the Keep, paladin in the Platinum Order, but is now undead and known as the Kinslayer, per a prophetic mad poet.

Once all is told, Lord Padraig, Daria, and Valthrun look at Light's Shadow expectantly. "Well, what does this all portend and where will you go next?"

OOC: I encourage you all to examine the embedded links to our wiki. I created this summary to help you guys understand things better (I recall Jon requested a clarification summary after our live session). It's also for you to have the opportunity to discuss things with some NPC's. If you can figure out the exact location (and role play it) of where to go next, I'll give you bonus EXP. (Hint: It's not merely the title of the next adventure and skill checks won't give the answer although they can give you more background info as always.)
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya thinks long and hard. They should probaby follow up on the goblin mercinaries. They'd come across the name of one, Krand, but hadn't found him yet. She asks Valthrun a question "Sir, what do you know of a place called 'the Seven-Pillared Hall?' It might be in or around a labyrinth?" She turns to Daria and Azad as well, "Perhaps you've heard of it?"

She looks around for Kelfem "Is Captain Kelfem here? What does he know about any local goblin activities. Has he come across the name Krand?"
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Azad tries to think back to what she's read of "The Rise and Fall of the Nerathi Empire" during breaks in the recent events. She's been devouring it, even occasionally sneaking in a few pages when she should be on watch duty.

History (1d20+2=20)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
After all of you have thought on Azad's, Valthrun's, and Captain Kelfem's words for a while, Lord Padraig dismisses the captain. "Well, it seems your best course might be to seek out this Seven Pillared Hall somewhere within Thunderspire Mountain and look for the hobgoblin named Krand. If he isn't somehow involved with the kidnappings done by the hobgoblins near Winterhaven, perhaps he'll know who is. I suggest you take what provisions you need to reach Fallcrest and from there head to the mountain. May Avandra favor you." he says and you can tell by his tone that he is dismissing you.
(Map of the Nentir Vale)

Outside the manor, Daria turns around. "Oh, I just remembered something!" she says and pulls out a sealed envelope, handing it to Azad. "Nimozaran asked me to give you this."

  •  Letter to Azad
    • The letter is written in beautiful calligraphy: "Fair lady, words of your courageous adventures have reached my longing ears. Would that I could have been at your side as you pierced evil's heart and banished the darkness. Woe to those who would hide from the blade that is your heart and purpose. Wonderful must have been your travails and wondrous your deeds. Something out of a fairy tale or a tale of two empires. If next you should find yourself in Fallcrest, know that you may find me where the moonlight shone on three dark pebbles with intent."

She then turns to Edeya and looks at her excitedly. "Now that formalities are taken care of, why don't you tell me all that's really happened with you. You definitely look changed, I can't place it somehow. Oh, and I'm dying to know how things went with your sister."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya looks confused "My sister? Uweya? I have seen her since I left the monastery. I assume she is well. Now my brother, that is another mater entirely."

Not wanting to talk to much about Demuriath, she changes the subject "You think I'm different? I'll tell you what happened, but that doesn't mean I understand it. After we defeated Kalarel, he was sucked into his dark portal, but he left behind his rod. When I picked it up I passed out. I had these visions I think, but I don't remember them, just one word 'Karavakos.' When I woke, I had this bow." She displays her new weapon. "Nice isn't it?"

"Before we go, I wanted to ask if you know anything about these?" She shows Daria, Valthrun and Padraig the platinum dragon pendants they found.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Daria listens carefully, nodding at times, her face looking concerned. "Yes, the bow is nice I suppose, although I don't really know much about these things. It sounds like you've been through some strange experiences. I'm glad to see you're alright now. In fact, your sister told me that she had seen visions of you and was worried, which is why she came to find you. She was together with an older man, also of your people. That was about a month ago. It was very strange actually, they came to the temple and asked for me, as if they somehow knew I had a connection with you. I told them you were traveling with some friends to Winterhaven, but didn't dare say why. Surely, they would have arrived here by now."

Valthrun pushes Daria aside and pipes up. "What was that word?! Say it again! It had a ring to it most unusual." He absently looks at the platinum dragon pendants and mumbles something about "religious paraphernalia" before looking back up eagerly. Daria and Lord Padraig don't seem to know anything about the pendants either, aside from their obvious connection to Bahamut.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:34 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Edeya frowns as she hear's this news about her sister, but says nothing. When she has time, she'll pull Demuriath aside to discuss it.

Instead she answers Valthrun, "Karavakos."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Bored by talk, Demuriath moves about Winterhaven. Since his "death," he has found that while he is not evil, he is more ambiguous. So, to hone his skills, he practices... in this case honing his skill for moving about silently by picking the pocket of a wealthy-ish passerby.

Perception to find someone who looks wealthy, stealth to move silently, thievery to pick a pocket perception, stealth, thievery (1d20+8+2=26, 1d20+13+2=17, 1d20+11+2=21)
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Yes, that's the one, karavakos. It has the tone of an ancient tongue, although I've never heard it before. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help to overhear. You say the word came to you in a dream, most intriguing. I've been yearning for a new research project. If you'd like I can try to find out what it might mean, although it likely will take days or weeks." says Valthrun.

OOC: I'll resolve the pickpocket attempt when I get home from class. I have to look up the rules for that. Do we have a fair way of handling thievery loot within the party or do thieving pc's benefit alone (or face the consequences alone)?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Azad reads the letter several times, sighing each time her eyes reach the bottom of the page. "Oh, Elend," Edeya hears her whisper. She then looks up, wondering where the conversation's gone in the last few minutes and what "karavakos" is supposed to be.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Demuriath has wandered off within the small town of Winterhaven, looking for a diversion. Looking for some personal gain, he easily picks out a better dressed women who is walking around the marketplace inspecting the new wares brought in by the caravan. He especially notices a nice-looking broch that she's wearing. It looks quite ornate, glinting in the sunlight.

It's an easy task for him to mingle with the crowd such that his target can't see his approach. He times his moment carefully to pass her just as she turns towards him with the shoulder on which her brooch hangs. His hand darts out and lightly brushes the brooch. With the barest of tugs he tries to detach it, but can't quite do so. Rather than risk being noticed he moves on. Glancing back he sees the lady adjust her brooch and brush off some lint, but otherwise act normally.

OOC: The roll wasn't good enough, sorry. I also realized I've incidentally given you all a universal +1 to skill rolls with our new +2 24h bonus. Thanks for pointing that out to me guys. ;) For simplicity sake, that's fine by me and requires less "+1 if this, +2 if that" thinking. I'll just up-adjust skill DC's. Save rolls are also affected I suppose, but I'm less bothered about those for some reason. Maybe because I hate being status-affected as a PC so don't mind giving you guys more of an edge. Anything else I'm missing?
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Back at the Lord's Manor....

"Well, even if you don't want me to look into it, I think I shall. This word, "karavakos", has piqued my intellectual curiousity. In fact, I think I'll go find that dragonologist, Douven Stahl, and see if he wants to help me. He's quite the character, you know. Keeps on talking about this invention or that historical theory. Perhaps a little obsessed with dragons though. Seems to think they once ruled this entire plane of existence. I'll be off then" Valthrun says excitedly, looking years younger in his excitement. Did he really say days or weeks? you wonder.

Daria turns to the rest of you. "Well, I expect you'll be leaving soon to track those hobgoblins and maybe even go to the Thunderspire. I will stay in Winterhaven for a while and help with repairs. I heard a lot of surrounding farmsteads were abandoned or destroyed by kobolds in the last few months and I'm sure helping them bring civilization back to this part of the Vale would be in the interest of Erathis. Good luck and stay safe." she finishes, giving Edeya a hug and nodding to the rest of you.

OOC: I'm ready to continue if you are. Light's Shadow will travel east along the main road towards Fallcrest, stopping there only briefly to resupply and then proceed to Thunderspire Mountain. Let me know if there's anything else you want to do first.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
OOC: Good to go.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
The story continues here.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)

Page: < 1 2

DeadGoblins.com » Points of Light » Things to Come

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software