DeadGoblins.com » Kingmaker » KM-1: Stolen Land, Part 1

KM-1: Stolen Land, Part 1

Moderators: Gary, Michael Doss.

Page: « < ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... > »

Author Post
Member
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 105
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
OOC: Checking the first post, our charter to explore these lands comes from Restov. "Brevic" refers to another country, but I'm having trouble remembering whether that's the name of the country, or how one refers to its inhabitants. I also seem to recall that things between Brevic (assuming that's what it's called) and Restov are tense at best, if not actually openly hostile. All of which is to say, we'd likely know in character that these folks may not be entirely supportive of our mission here. If my memory serves me right, of course.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
OOC: Brevoy is the country north of here. Restov is a portion of that country, which has political issues with the rest of the country and chartered you as a means of gaining political leverage against the rest of the country. So, "Brevic" could be good or bad depending on where in Brevoy these folks are from. :)
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"I am Variel. As Magda says, we know Oleg and Svetlana. As for storming the walls, you're of a military bent. Who would approach the walls of a fort openly and carrying an injured captive with the intent of storming the walls? Please, get Oleg or Svetlana, and this can be sorted out. Perhaps you're the military aid they asked for weeks ago?"

1d20+4=11
Insight roll of 11
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Takeo remains silent. Best to let Magda and the others talk he figures, gauging how best to run or fly up the walls of the outpost if needed.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
The woman looks at your group carefully once more, then recognition seems to settle on her.

"You are the lot Oleg and Svetlana said helped them." the woman replies. "I was focused on the kobold. And while bandits might know of Helmut and the rest, Jhod would only be known to those who rescued him from those wolves."

The woman shouts orders down to the gate, and the doors swing open. "Come on in. The elf is right, we are the military that Oleg and Svetlana requested. You beat us here, but it sounds like you just barely arrived in time yourselves."

As you enter the courtyard, you see Oleg and Jhod, in conversation with a strange mechanical-looking being. As they see you, Oleg and Jhod both wave to you and call out greetings.

"I hear you took out more bandits," Oleg says. He then looks doubtfully at the kobold in Takeo's arms. "But what's this kobold doing in my trading post now?"
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"Bandits, mites, giant insects, crossbow traps... we have made the world a better place for their exits," Korrin explains. "This kobold was a prisoner of the mites."
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
In a strange, voice, the mechanical being turns and says, "Hail! I am called Aluric. I hear that you have done fine work to free Oleg from the bandit menace that had plagued him. It is good to see that you have freed a prisoner." Aluric glances over the party that has entered and focuses primarily on two members, the other machine in the group and the dwarf. After his eyes linger on the flying machine for a little too long, he turns to the dwarf, quietly saying in a much softer, almost lyrical voice, "Do you know where I can find some strong ale?"

To see Aluric, look here.

To read Aluric's story, look here.


  •  Aluric
    • Warforged Paladin 3
    • Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 14
    • AC:21, Fort:16, Reflex:14, Will:16 - Speed:5
    • HP:41/41, Bloodied:20, Surge Value:10, Surges left:12/12
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
    •  
    • Powers
      • Divine Challenge
      • Ardent Strike
      • Valiant Strike
      • Channel Divinity
        • Divine Mettle
        • Divine Strength
      • Warforged Resolve
      • Call of Challenge
      • Piercing Smite
      • Winter's Edge
      • Virtue's Touch 1 2 3
      • Driving Blades
      • Jousting Heavy Shield
       
    • Items
      • Hempen Rope (50ft)
      • Grappling Hook, Hammer, Pitons (10)
      • Holy Symbol
       
    • Abilities
      • Basic Melee Attack +8
      • Damage: 1d8+4
      • Living Construct
      • Warforged Resilience
      • Unsleeping Watcher
      • Divine Sanction
      • Warforged Tactics
       
    • Skills
      • Acrobatics -3
      • Arcana 0
      • Athletics +1
      • Bluff +2
      • Diplomacy +7
      • Dungeoneering +4
      • Endurance +6
      • Heal +4
      • History +0/li>
      • Insight +6
      • Intimidate +9
      • Nature +4
      • Perception +4
      • Religion +5
      • Stealth -3
      • Streetwise +2
      • Thievery -3
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
« Last edit by Josh on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:00 am. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Takeo, ever the curious type, notices that Aluric stares at Varial's flying contraption. He can't help but notice some resemblance. Cheerfully, he steps forward and simply drops the kobold on the floor at Oleg's feet, then turns to Aluric while stretching and rubbing at his tired shoulders.

"Ale? Oleg makes some good stuff, but you should taste Magda's pies. Now if only we can convince her to spice up her dough with some homebrew, eh! I'm Brother Takeo by the way, well, I guess just Takeo now, or Tak if you prefer. Have you and SAMAV met before?" he prattles on, hardly taking time to breathe, pointing at Varial's companion. "Oh, and this kobold prisoner might not be so happy that we freed it. After all, it's now just our prisoner instead of the mites' prisoner. Although the air does smell better out here than it did down there I suppose.

Takeo finally stops talking and looks around at how the outpost has changed in just a couple of days, while absentmindely sniffing his armpits and wrinkling his nose.

OOC: I liked your backstory for Aluric! Welcome to the badlands!
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Uncertain how to respond to the construct, Variel keeps an eye on him from the corner of his eye. That thing was showing too much interest in his companion. Directed at the two human warriors, "As I said before, I am Variel. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintances. "

"Oleg, the kobold is a long tale. Suffice to say, we tracked the wedding ring back to the bandits, only to find it had been swiped by a group of mites. We cleared the mites, but it seems they have been at war with a kobold tribe... and the kobolds took the ring as spoils. I'm hoping we can "barter" this one and a few other trinkets for the ring. Honestly, I dislike the idea of raising the kobold tribe. It was a shame we had to do so with the mites. They were not harming us. Besides, the kobolds probably know much about the surrounding terrain. I hope we can come to an understanding. More eyes watching our backs, and more land held by nonhostiles, would be welcome."

Somewhat coolly, "Aluric was it? I must say, it's interesting to see you out here. Where does your kind hail from?"
OOC: Welcome to the Stolen Lands, Josh!

For everyone, since Variel would have shared his ideas: He hopes to enter into an agreement with the Kobolds. Try to trade our captive back as a good faith gesture, and request the ring. We'll have Takeo lead the march into their lair. He wears the hide of what was a fearsome enemy of theirs. Hopefully, we can communicate, and explain we want to exist peacefully with them. They probably know much about the surrounding territory, and we have lots of shared interests. They don't want powerful monsters in the area, and we want to remove them. We need the kobolds to not raid future trade caravans, and the time to make a deal is before we have any coming through. The kobolds would probably love to expand into the mite's old lair, and we don't need hostile monsters taking up residence there. Personally, I think it would be awesome if we could assimilate them into our "kingdom." If we grant their rights to certain land areas, we don't infringe on their way of life, and we could use them as extra muscle right now, or just as scouts. Heck, a simple nonaggression pact would be nice. We could use their secured territory as a "safe" boarder as we expand and tame the wilderness.
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
« Last edit by nmathew on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Magda eyes Aluric carefully. Never having encountered something like it, many questions flit through her head "What is that thing? Can a mechanical being have soul? Does this thing worship the gods? Does it need the sun? Does it even sleep?"

She hears Variel's strategy with kobolds, the cleric chimes in optimistically "Yes, I believe we should try to cultivate an understand with the kobold tribe. We cannot assume they are beyond redemption. It would be to everyone's advantage if they could be brought into the light."

Unsure what to make if the mechanical creature she tries to keep her tone neutral as she asks "So you're just here for ale?" The way she pronounces the last word shows her distaste for the stuff.
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"What else could I want? Ale is proof that Cayden Cailean loves us," the gearsman says in the soft voice before it changes back to the original one. "I come from Numeria, where my people have been enslaved. I am here to learn and gather strength to return and free them. I have not seen SAMAV before, although it looks strangely like my people. Where is he from?"

"We are wasting time. Does anyone know where to get strong ale?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Magda is somewhat relieved to hear Aluric praise a god, even if it is the Lucky Drunk. The cleric searches for something positive to say and only comes up with "I used to like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is exactly the reason why I never drink it anymore."

She also eyes his hard metal skin and thick shield. It looks as though this metal person might be a good addition to their group. At the very least, it would lessen then number of bruises and cuts Takeo takes in battle.

Then she addresses Jhod "I am glad to see you recovered brother." Finally to Oleg, "Thank you for giving succor to Brother Jhod. There is nothing greater than helping another on the path to healing and peace."
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Warming somewhat to the construct since it was clear he had no plans to lay claim to SAMAV, Variel replies. "Honestly, I know not where SAMAV originated. Until now, I thought he was unique. Perhaps we can talk more over a mug? Oleg, I'll buy a round if you have anything in stock.

I fear to say that our first meeting was...well, I erred. I was out wondering in a wooded area south of The Valley of Fire, at the southern end of the Icerime Peaks. I saw something through the trees stalking me, and I knew not what it was. When I saw the sun reflecting from it, I thought it was a bandit or worse. I fired an arrow at the reflection, heard the arrow connect, and investigated. What I found was a small contraption unlike anything I had seen before or since, until now. It was beautiful, complex, and I had broken it. I probably spent three months trying to piece it back together. I eventually got to the point I only needed to whittle a proper replacement part, which I did from a walnut tree trunk. It's no proper metal replacement, but I know no blacksmith with the skill to make this part, and walnut is a hard wood. SAMAV came to life, flew away, and I thought that was it. Five minutes later, it was back and we've been stalwart companions ever since. That was 6 years ago. "
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Aluric takes a large gulp of the alcohol. Almost as an aside, he says, "Curses! Still nothing. Maybe I just need something stronger."

"I have not seen the likes of SAMAV before. The creature seems to be of similar construction to my own and my people's, but we had no flying machines when I was awoken."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"Interesting. How long ago were your people awoken? Does that mean you were made as slaves? Something else? Do you have no racial memory stretching back? Elves, for instance, have moderately accurate legends stretching back over ten thousand of year."
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"My people only have memory extending to when we were woken. I do not know when the earliest of us was awoken, but it was certainly more than ten revolutions around the sun. I did not stay with my people long after I awoke. It is possible all of the creatures like SAMAV, if there are even more, awoke before me. I do not know our purpose, but I do not think it is simply slavery."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
"Interesting. One such as yourself has found his life's mission within a decade, and I sit here nearly two centuries old, yet to have a clear sign of the Brightness."
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Member
Registered: Mar 2010
Posts: 105
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Uriah remains quiet during this exchange with the newcomer, save for a bark of surprised laughter when the construct proclaims ale to be proof of the gods' love. As the conversation turns to history and mechanics, his attention wanders to the other armed folk in Oleg's camp. Who do they answer to, and what are their goals? He looks them over carefully, looking to see if their gear and clothing betrays any hint of their allegiance.
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oleg shakes his head at Aluric. "I sold you a pint already," he tells the mechanical being, "and all you did was dump it over your head. It seems a waste of good ale to me." The trader looks at Variel. "I'm happy to hear you've got a lead on the ring. I'd be mighty grateful if you can get it back from the kobolds."

Jhod chuckles at the exchange between Magda and Aluric. "I'm delighted to see you return to the trading post," he tells Magda. "I'm doing better, but I don't know if I'll be ready to search for the lost temple of Erastil any time soon. If you could keep your eyes open while in the wilderness and let me know if you find anything, I'm sure Old Deadeye would reward you, daughter of the Dawnflower."

Variel and Aluric discuss the origins of mechanical life and the search for purpose, while Uriah eyes the newcomers warily. He sees Helmut and the other reformed bandits who aided them against the wolves sitting around a pile of coins next to the storage shed, dicing. There is no sign of Happs. The soldiers all bear the markings of the Rostlandic army, probably a detachment from Restov. The one apparently the one in charge of this new squad by his bearing approaches the group.

"I'm Kesten Garess," the man grunts. "It seems the only reason Oleg's trading post is here for us to guard is your bravery. Rostland is in your debt. If you're looking to earn more good will from the Swordlords of Restov, I've brought some new wanted posters down. They're in the common room, when you get a chance to look at them."

Suddenly, the kobold's eyes pop open and he looks around, taking in his surroundings. He lets out a frightened squeak upon seeing all the big, well-armed folk, and looks as if he's trying to find a rock to crawl under.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Holding food before him, Variel moves towards the kobold, breaks off a piece of bread, and eats it. Then he holds the bread out towards the kobold, and gently tosses it towards it.

"Do you speak any common?"

OOC: In lieu of a diplomacy check, I'm going to try a dungeoneering and nature (Gary, pick most appropriate) for any kobold customs and practices.

Dungeoneering check, nature check for kobold (1d20+9+1=29, 1d20+11+1=17)
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Magada can guess that the kobold is confused and scared. He may not remember them rescuing him from the mites.

She speaks to him in simple words, not sure how much he will understand, "Peace friend. You need not be afraid. We are followers of the light. Do you remember us? We brought you out of that dark mite hole. We will take you home soon."

Insight; Diplomacy (1d20+10+1=14, 1d20+9+1=27)
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
After what felt like at least two weeks of keeping silent, while Variel and Magda talk and talk and talk, Takeo fingers Kaede as he sees the kobold waking up. "Maybe a good bonk on the head with her will put the lizard creature back to sleep, he surmises. After all, it's not like the talking to it's getting from pointy ears and Magda is having much effect." he thinks to himself.

Catching the priestess' eye and seeing her meaningful look, Takeo decides to go find some more food to eat instead. "How in the blazes of whatever her god's name was again does so she do that? It's like she's reading my mind or something." he murmurs quietly to Kaede as he leaves the common room and goes into the kitchen.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Variel recalls the knowledge he mentioned previously about the dangerous lairs of the kobolds. He also recalls that they generally are cowardly when outnumbered or facing larger creatures. Especially so when outnumbered by larger creatures. They do usually speak common.

Magda's guess of the kobold being confused and scared is correct. Though the creature looks a bit discomforted by the mention of lite and confused at the disdain in the cleric's voice when speaking nice holes in the ground, he does seem to relax a bit at her words.

"Mikmek," it says in a high voice. "My name Mikmek. My tribe is great and powerful Sootscale clan. I was hunting holy statue nasty mites stole. Sootscale chieftain give many treasures if statue returned."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 1238
Not willing to tip that the party has possession of the statue without conferring with the others, Variel decides to be a bit vague.

"I am Variel. We are looking for a pretty ring the mites took from our friend. While we found many things among the mites' possessions, we didn't find it. We believe your tribe might have it. We are interested in speaking with your tribe and coming to a common...understanding. We don't want anymore bloodshed.

I promise, no harm will come to you here if you behave in a calm and reasonable fashion. You can answer my questions truthfully, without fear I will get angry at unfavorable answers. If you lead us to your tribe, do you believe you could arrange a peaceful meeting with your leader? If we could return the holy statue, what kind of treasures or favors could we expect?"
_______________
Sentinel - Warforged Shielding Swordmage (Eberron)
Allena Walmond - Human Paladin of Amaunator (Forgotten Realms)
Variel - Elf Beastmaster Ranger
Thaelan the Clanless - Dwarf Protector Spirit Shaman (Dungeon Delve 4)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Korrin nods at Variel. He couldn't have said it any better himself.

OOC: Sorry to not be participating in this conversation to this point. Life has been crazy, but I should have more time going forward.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron

Page: « < ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Kingmaker » KM-1: Stolen Land, Part 1

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software