DeadGoblins.com » Eberron » Seekers of the Ashen Crown

Seekers of the Ashen Crown

Moderators: Josh, Michael Doss.

Page: « < ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 >

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"It is done." replies Lan, nodding.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Good." He hands over a bag of 100 Gold Coins. "Now, get lost, and take Olaakki with you."

As you leave with the hobgoblin priest, he says, "Thank you very much for your help. Did you find my people at all?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan looks at Olaakki, wondering briefly what to say. Then, out of earshot of Molric. "We found quite a few things down there, most of them kruthik attacking from all directions. We also found a large chamber with a pyramid of skulls. Some of those bones resembled goblin bones, but it was hard to identify their age. Who exactly went missing?" he answers in general terms, not remembering what or who Olaakki might be referring to.

OOC: I'm sorry Josh, I can't recall what Olaakki asked us to find. Can you please refresh our memories.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"My charges. I told you they were lost in the area not too long ago..." After a moment he realizes you said something about a pyramid of skulls, and suddenly looks very excited, "That, that must be Ashurta's tomb! They were trying to find it. Surely you met with them or, at least, learned of their fate."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan casually looks at Olaaki, not letting show his scrutiny as he answers. "As I said, we found quite a few things in various chambers. We did not meet anyone alive down there other than dozens of kruthiks, I'm sorry. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand what was down there, but it seemed very old. Maybe if you explain to us what this Ashurta's tomb means to you and why you were looking for it, we can better explain what we saw." he asks calmly, all the while trying to detect any duplicity in Olaaki. After all, Lan thinks with with cautious paranoia, his now dead soul-brother was investigating the tomb for a reason and maybe it was to thwart Olaaki's plans.

Insight roll (1d20+11+1=31)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Hmmm. They must have died shortly after reaching the tomb then." Olaakki's sad frown perks up a bit, though. "But, you found and explored Ashurta's tomb! That is wonderful! My people have investigated the Dhakaani histories to try to find artifacts in the hopes of restoring hobgoblin civilization. The city of Sharn is actually built on an ancient Dhakaani city called Ja'sharaat. Ashurta was a great hero during the Daelkyr War, who slew many demons. He was buried almost as if a king, he was so great. He also had a sword that was a part of an old goblin artifact called the Ashen Crown. Those that were down there were searching for Ashurta's sword." Lan doesn't detect any lying from Olaakki, and suspects that the cleric may not know how to lie.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan relaxes imperceptibly at the sincerity in Olaaki's demeanor, although wondering why the deaths of people he worked with doesn't bother him for long. He answers a little more truthfully. "We can confirm that Ashurta's Tomb is indeed down there. We had the honor of being the first to set foot there in a very long time. My companions, Sentinel and Kurvilis here, also discovered remnants of the ancient civilization you speak of. I agree that your people who went down there are likely all dead. We found a journal that may have been their's, although I am puzzled what a sword has to do with a crown. Can you tell us how they are connected?" he finishes with question, not sure he should reveal that Ashurta's sword is now in Sentinel's possession.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Ah, now we get to the root of the matter. The Ashen Crown was said to be capable of splitting into multiple pieces. It was thought that Ashurta had a sword that fit into the crown. Even if not linked to the Crown, the blade itself would be a wonderful find. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on such things."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Now you've made us curious. What is so important about this crown and why look for it? Also, you would you say is an expert in such things?"
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Ah, well, I can help you there. Professor Gydd Nephret of Morgrave University is an expert on Sharn antiquities. She specializes in Dhakaani-era relics. We have worked with her before, often exchanging our finds for money and aid. In fact, she is the one who discovered where Ashurta's tomb was. I don't think she knew there would be a kruthik horde there..." The priest trails off a bit before starting again, "She is very honest and knowledgeable, I would definitely find her if you want to know more about this."

OOC: You can talk to Olaakki more (he can provide more information in certain directions, but it isn't required and it is possible to get it elsewhere), or you can move on. Your basic options are to write up a report about your experiences with the kruthiks (you can just summarize the things you want to mention) for this purpose. You can also try to find out about the Ashen Crown from Prof. Nephret. You can sit on your butts for a couple of days (the King's Citadel was still going to question you about your last adventure). You can investigate things in the city. Or lots of things I can't even think of (or don't want to get too specific about). I'll leave this until Tuesday (I will be busy tomorrow) and that will give you time to decide what is next (so that it isn't just Viktor deciding everything).
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
After they leave, Khav tells the others "Let's pay a visit to this professor. It never hurts to know what you're walking into before you've stepped in it."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Kurvilis nods his agreement tentatively, making sure it is ok with Sentinel before he fully agrees.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Olaakki asks, "Is Ashurta's tomb safe to explore and map?"

OOC: The next thread is up, but it is Scott only, you will have to get there before you can participate.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Lan nods at Khav and Kurvilis and looks at Sentinel, noting that he's still running a self-diagnostic. If he didn't know better, he'd think the warforged was in some sort of dream-state. Turning to Olaaki, Lan responds. "Yes, I believe the tomb is safer now. We can't guarantee there aren't any other creatures, aside from kruthiks, or structural hazards down there though. There were plenty of traps the way we went. Thank you and please excuse us now." He looks around, re-orienting, and then leads the group towards where the professor should be. On the way, he stops and questions a person here or there, to help.

Streetwise (1d20+10+1=16)

User posted image

  • Lan
    • Kalashtar Enlightened Ardent, Level 3
    • Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 21
    • AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 16 Speed: 5/6, Initiative: +1
    • HP: 36, Bloodied: 18, Surge Value: 9, Surges: 9/9
    • Dual Soul: save rolls vs dazed or dominated at start of turn
    • Telepathy: two-way communication, range 5
    • Mantle of Clarity: allies in range 5, +2 perception/insight, +3 def (WIS mod) vs. OA
    • Axe Expertise: +1/+2/+3 attack per tier, can re-roll one damage die which results in a 1, but must use the second roll
    • Bolstering Mantle: when Lan spends a healing surge, an ally within his mantle (5 spaces) can either gain 5 temp hp or make a saving throw
    • Martyr's Surge: +1d6 hp to Ardent Surge when Lan is bloodied
    • Powers
    • Cloud Mind
    • Energizing Strike
    • Impetuous Ruin
    • Ardent Alacrity (if bloodied by att, brst 5, allies shift 1 or move 1/2 spd)
    • Ardent Surge 1 (minor, surge +1d6 and +1 defenses)
    • Ardent Surge 2 (minor, surge +1d6 and +1 defenses)
    • Augment Points: 1 2 3 4
    • Bastion of Mental Clarity (imm int, att vs my will, burst 5, +4 will all)
    • Blood Fury Halberd +1 (minor, count as bloodied for all purposes UENT)
    • Dimension Swap (teleport swap places with ally, burst 5)
    • Second Wind
    • Mental Turmoil
    • Items
    • Camouflaged Clothing (+1 stealth to hide)
    • Footpads (+1 stealth to sneak)
    • Disguise Kit (+2 bluff for passing off disquises)
    • Inquisitive's Kit (+2 perception to search an area for something specific)
    • Chainmail
    • Blood Fury Halberd +1 (+1d8 crit, +1d12 crit when bloodied)
    • Healing Potion
    • Skills
    • Insight: 11
    • Bluff, Diplomacy, Streetwise: 10
    • Intimidate: 5
    • Dungeoneering, Heal, Nature, Perception, Stealth: 4
    • Endurance: 3
    • Acrobatics, Athletics, Thievery: 1
    • Arcana, History, Religion: 0
    • _______________
      Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
      « Last edit by Viktor on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Olaakki bows slightly and leaves. You are able to quickly reorient yourselves and find the base of Dalannan Tower, where you destroyed Aric Blacktree's eldritch machine just a few days ago. Morgrave University is straight up. Asking around, Lan finds that, though Prof. Nephret is not particularly well known, her title is enough for locals to encourage you to check Lareth Hall, the administrative building, for more information.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"I guess we're off to Lareth Hall then. I wonder what Professor Nephret will be like. Do you suppose we should keep the blade we found concealed until we are sure of her?" Lan asks his companions as he leads the way.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
As you walk into Lareth Hall, you see a large desk at the front, with a woman sitting at it. She frowns as you come in and says, "Do you need something?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Sensing her emotions, Lan feels it best if one of his companions addresses her and he remains silent, urging them on with a gentle flow of encouragement.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Before entering the hall, Khav suggests, "I think we should keep possession of Ashurta's blade to ourselves. We can always share the information later, but there's no putting the sack back over the medusa's head once you've looked into her eyes."

Once inside, Khav just glares at the woman.
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
She stares back, "Coming or going?"
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
"Well, if you are just going to loiter, I will call the guards over so you can bother someone else."
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Weary from fighting all those kruthik and tired with this woman hiding behind her large desk, Lan steps forward suddenly and grabs her wrist. He twists it just enough to make his meaning clear and for the pain to daze her senses.

Impetuous Ruin, augment 2, unarmed attack, vs AC, non-lethal damage, on a hit the women is dazed UENT Lan. (1d20+1+1=13, 1d4=1)

"No, you will not call the guards...We are not your concern...You want to tell us where Professor Nephret is and how to get there...You want to wish us a good day." he says to her in a soothing, yet commanding tone. With every sentence he waves the pointing index and middle finger of his left hand at her.

Intimidate roll (1d20+5+1=14)

OOC: Okay, this is a very untypical use of a power for RP purposes, but it just came to me. Jedi mind trick! Dazing her with impetuous strike to make her malleable to Lan's suggestion. Rolled intimidate, although maybe I should have rolled diplomacy which would have added 5 to the result.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Are you sure you want to attack an unarmed woman in public? At a university?
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Josh wrote
OOC: Are you sure you want to attack an unarmed woman in public? At a university?


OOC: There was really no indication in your description how many people are around, although I suppose a hall could have who knows how many people. Regardless, the "attack" is overtly really just grabbing her wrist and I thought the improvisation and RP would be appreciated. You can assume it's all negated and Lan does nothing. I'll let everyone else do whatever they want.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: FWIW, I never did say anyone was milling about, but it should be apparent you are in public, even if not seen by anyone else (you simply walked into the hall without forcing entry or being invited). And the way I read attack powers is that they are attacks. A grab is something you could do, but again that is an attack. It is an aggressive move, that, if it hits will harm someone (if she is a minion, even if you rolled a 1 and did non-lethal damage, she is now unconscious). You could perform telepathy, which could, theoretically behave as a Jedi mind trick, but an attack is still an attack. Or you could make a skill check. Or both. Attack powers are for attacking; utility powers and skills are for not fighting.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light

Page: « < ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 >

DeadGoblins.com » Eberron » Seekers of the Ashen Crown

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software